BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Gun Ownership: Rural vs. Urban rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RSP_guns [+] [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In an attempt not to derail Colleen's RSP'er of the next couple of days, here's a place for discussion about gun ownership, gun use, gun suicide, and gun homicide.

It is well-known that the rate of gun ownership in rural areas is higher than gun ownership in urban areas. A recent article by DuRant et al. (2007) in the Journal of Pediatrics showed that the rates were 34.4% of households in rural areas and 19.6% of households in urban areas.

However, when we look in terms of actual number of people who are in contact with a gun, then we see that the raw numbers indicate that many more people in urban areas are in contact with fire arms. Using the census data from 2000 (http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/census/cps2k.htm)

Rural Population : 59,274,456
Urban Population : 225,956,060

Multiplying by their respective percentages we get

Rural x Gun Ownership Rate = (59,274,456) x .344 = 20,390,412
Urban x Gun Ownership Rate = (225,956,060) x .196 = 44,287,397

Assuming equal household sizes, about 2 times the number of people are in contact with guns in urban areas than rural areas.

Now, we could also restrict our attention of urban areas to those cities with more than 200,000 people -- that would change the population breakdown to

Big Urban: 166,215,889
Rural + Small Urban: 119,014,627

and the "gun contact" number would then be 40,941,031 for rural and small urban and 32,578,314 for big urban. So if we only count "big urban", then we get the effect of more people in rural ares with gun contact than urban areas.

If we consider urban to be anything bigger than 50,000 people then the "in contact" numbers are 38,376,900 for urban and 30,763,920 for rural

I might be wrong, but I think that would that would make this statement part right and part wrong

DaviddesJ wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
I'll bet people in Oakland cling to THEIR guns.

Not really. There's a much higher rate of gun ownership among rural or small town, middle class whites than in big cities. The logic of gun advocates (that people own guns for self defense) would lead you to expect more where people have more threats to their personal safety, but it doesn't actually work out that way.

the correct part would be:
Quote:
There's a much higher rate of gun ownership among rural or small town, middle class whites than in big cities.

the incorrect part would be:
Quote:
The logic of gun advocates (that people own guns for self defense) would lead you to expect more where people have more threats to their personal safety, but it doesn't actually work out that way.

More people do own guns in cities; however, the percentage of the total population for those areas is just smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
A recent article by DuRant et al. (2007) in the Journal of Pediatrics showed that the rates were 34.4% of households in rural areas and 19.6% of households in urban areas. . . .

Using the census data from 2000 (http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/census/cps2k.htm)

Rural Population : 59,274,456
Urban Population : 225,956,060

Multiplying by their respective percentages we get

Rural x Gun Ownership Rate = (59,274,456) x .196 = 11,617,793.38
Urban x Gun Ownership Rate = (225,956,060) x .344 = 77,728,884.64

Assuming equal household sizes, about 7 times the number of people are in contact with guns in urban areas than rural areas (in fact, the total number in contact with guns in Urban areas is more than the entire rural population).

Didn't you reverse the percentages here (34.4 for rural and 19.6 for urban)? When I did the math, I got 20,390,412 for rural gun contact and 44,287,387 for urban.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oops -- fixing now. I have a hell of a time typing in this little box; then I confuse myself....fail on my partshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused so what discussion question are you trying to raise? Do more people have guns in rural vs. urban?

I appologize if I've offended anyone with not seeing things clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rose0043 wrote:

I'm offended. Put on your glases!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rose0043 wrote:
I'm a little confused so what discussion question are you trying to raise? Do more people have guns in rural vs. urban?

I think what SG is taking issue with is the idea that rural people (uneducated hicks) own guns in a much higher percentage rate than urban people (hip, educated).

The disclaimer has to be made that we can factually only know the percentages based on registered gun owners who, for the most part, are not out committing crimes with their weapons.

I don't think there's anyone who would seriously dispute that registered gun owners aren't a problem. Nor can a case be made that gun crimes occur with increased frequency in rural (hick) regions as opposed to urban (hip) regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.