Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: I can has gay marrage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I can think of is

http://virtualhug.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/nom-nom-nom.jp...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Should just be called National Organization for Not Same-Sex Marriage.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
Should just be called National Organization for Not Same-Sex Marriage.
42 seconds in there is a girl who says "I will have no choice".

She looks very like the actress who played "Debs" in Napoleon Dynamite.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:

She looks very like the actress who played "Debs" in Napoleon Dynamite.


Look closely at this picture of Tina Majorino:



Then go study the girl 42 seconds in, and you will realize they're not all that close. The girl in the NOM video looks vaguely oriental.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am afraid.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It is unacceptable that the USA, supposedly a "beacon" for the free world, is vulnerating the FREEDOM of these people to impose their bigotry and prejudice on their neighbours. shake
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm a California doctor, who should have read the fucking Hippocratic oath a lot more carefully before I tried to impose my ignorant, bigoted religious spin on things. Unlike that impeccably-credentialed Ron Paul, whose feet I would lavish with kisses even as he trod heavily across my tongue with his gold standard-advertising boots."
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
It is unacceptable that the USA, supposedly a "beacon" for the free world, is vulnerating the FREEDOM of these people to impose their bigotry and prejudice on their neighbours. shake


Freedom of speech Victor. It's not whether you agree with the message or not... it's the fact that even people who don't think like the RSP liberal whack-jobs have a right to speak their mind.

Terrific huh? The 1st Amendment rules!
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's terrific until you realize that everybody is a whack-job and then it just really doesn't count for shit.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DWTripp wrote:
Freedom of speech Victor. It's not whether you agree with the message or not... it's the fact that even people who don't think like the RSP liberal whack-jobs have a right to speak their mind.

Terrific huh? The 1st Amendment rules!


Drew1365 wrote:
Freedom of speech for thee, but not for me?


What freedom of speech? I am not advocating any measure against them or their ad. I'm glad they have the right to say whatever they want, even if it is as logically flawed as claiming freedom to limit other people´s freedom.

Just because I disagree with them doesn´t mean that I think that somebody should force them to shut up.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
"It's a rainbow coalition!"

laugh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
Its not often that I wish I was gay but there was something about the trimmed bearded gent at 11 sec. saying "They want to bring the issue into my life", that stirred something...

Could this be a homosexual activist advertisement that, while on the surface appears to be trying to limit gay rights, is actually proletysing homosexuality subliminally?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew1365 wrote:
You did say it was "unacceptable" speech. My advice to you is to practice tolerance and celebrate diversity.


Read my post again; what I sarcastically labelled as "unacceptable" was opposition to them, i.e. I pretty much repeated their point. My only contribution was to word explicitly the contradiction in their statement.

Fortunately, I live in a society with levels of tolerance and diversity that I consider acceptable, if not entirely satisfactory. To begin with, our marriage laws don´t discriminate against homosexual couples.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew1365 wrote:
It amuses me when people call for tolerance of things they already tolerate, while refusing to tolerate those they find unacceptable.


This is getting nonsensical. What did I say to find unacceptable?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
It amuses me when people call for tolerance of things they already tolerate, while refusing to tolerate those they find unacceptable.

Unacceptable? Doesn't that word imply intolerance? Regardless, though, I don't think many people would tolerate legislation that took away their liberties.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilarious. These people can't help but be misleading as all hell.

From their own damn website, since I got curious about the weasel words behind "the stories these actors are telling are based on real incidents."

Also real incidents, from the working script:

"The clouds are dark. And the winds are strong."
"And I am afraid."
"And I wet myself."
"They want to bring the issue into MY life, where I'll have to deal with my unresolved daddy issues."
"The storm? Is. Coming. In my pants."

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
It amuses me when people call for tolerance of things they already tolerate, while refusing to tolerate those they find unacceptable.

Have a pancake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
HeinzGuderian wrote:
It is unacceptable that the USA, supposedly a "beacon" for the free world, is vulnerating the FREEDOM of these people to impose their bigotry and prejudice on their neighbours. shake


Freedom of speech Victor. It's not whether you agree with the message or not... it's the fact that even people who don't think like the RSP liberal whack-jobs have a right to speak their mind.

Terrific huh? The 1st Amendment rules!

That's not the point. Freedom of speech is beautiful and you can use it to spout all sorts of clever and stupid things.

The point is free people are trying to limit other free people's choices which in no way do harm them. The people against gay marriage will still go to 'their' heaven if gays marry. It's like a ban for smoking in your own house.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how fast and loose this group has played with the truth, I browsed their site to see what I might find at 5:30 in the morning.

The California doctor case is about a lesbian who was denied artificial insemination by two doctors.

NOM wrote:
The court held that the doctor could claim no religious exemption to the civil rights law under which she was sued because of the State’s compelling interest in ending sexual orientation discrimination, a policy one judge identified as emanating from the court’s marriage decision. (italics added)


Actually, the policy clearly emanates from the Unruh Civil Rights Act. In the court's decision marriage is mentioned only once, in a concurring opinion and by a judge who does not think that same-sex marriage is constitutionally protected as an example of equal treatment he does not consider required.

Then there's the NJ church group.

NOM wrote:
A N.J. Methodist Camp Association was denied part of its tax exemption when it declined to allow a portion of its property to be used for a civil union ceremony.


The phrasing is highly misleading. It gives the impression of a church group minding its own business when suddenly some gays demanded the right to use its church facilities for a civil union.

In fact, the church was renting out some separate property that it owned (called the Boardwalk Pavilion) as a commercial property. The New Jersey Division of Civil Rights ruled that since it had registered the property as a public use facility it was bound by the same anti-discrimination laws as any other business.

NJDCR wrote:
Accordingly, given the strong evidence that the [OGCMA] intentionally makes the Pavilion available for public use and does not dedicate it solely to the practice of religion, the LAD, a neutral law of general application, does not unconstitutionally impair the [OGCMA’s] right to the free exercise of religion.


Moreover, they haven't even been punished yet -- the NJDCR has just ruled that there is sufficient probable cause for a hearing.

Quote:
A finding of Probable Cause does not resolve a civil rights complaint. Rather, it means the state has concluded its preliminary investigation and determined there is sufficient evidence to support a reasonable suspicion the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (LAD) has been violated.


12 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'll take your findings at face value Chad. To be honest though, it's not an issue for me whether any group is completely open about why they feel the way they do. The obvious thing to me is that any opinion other than open, willing acceptance of whatever current pop culture meme has the media's eye is always considered to be an attempt to restrict someone's "freedom". Religions and groups like this one are hardly the only ones in this drama to play fast and loose with "facts".

Victor snarks about America not being all it says it is and then attempts to say he didn't say what he actually said. I believe he's reacting to his own personal intolerance for people who are not like him and then impugns America because we allow POV that aren't his own.

Since I don't have a dog in this fight I could care less one way or the other. But I am watching closely to see if gay marraige rights generate any laws or regulations that have a negative or corrosive effect on my rights. The moment that happens I'll be working to stop the encroachment on my freedoms. Thankfully, religions don't have power significant enough in America to restrict my rights, so I'm not at all nervous or worried about them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Since I don't have a dog in this fight I could care less one way or the other. But I am watching closely to see if gay marraige rights generate any laws or regulations that have a negative or corrosive effect on my rights.


What would one of those be though? Something akin to affirmative action?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Since I don't have a dog in this fight I could care less one way or the other. But I am watching closely to see if gay marraige rights generate any laws or regulations that have a negative or corrosive effect on my rights.


What would one of those be though? Something akin to affirmative action?


A parade!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really relevant but it's still kind of entertaining looking at the audition tapes for these commercials.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
To be honest though, it's not an issue for me whether any group is completely open about why they feel the way they do...Religions and groups like this one are hardly the only ones in this drama to play fast and loose with "facts".


I agree that all sides spin and that sometimes this moves from spin to outright distortion, as I think happened here. I think it's good to point that sort of distortion out, especially when it's being used in a national ad campaign to persuade people not merely of an issue but that there's a "dark storm" they should be afraid of.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
To be honest though, it's not an issue for me whether any group is completely open about why they feel the way they do...Religions and groups like this one are hardly the only ones in this drama to play fast and loose with "facts".


I agree that all sides spin and that sometimes this moves from spin to outright distortion, as I think happened here. I think it's good to point that sort of distortion out, especially when it's being used in a national ad campaign to persuade people not merely of an issue but that there's a "dark storm" they should be afraid of.


Such is the nature of free speech, right?

To address the other question... if, for example, gay rights advocates manage to get judges (who seem to think they are lawmakers in many instances) to decree that businesses must hire a set amount of gays or in any way, shape or form give rights or benefits to gays because they are gay then I would begin to fight against the morphing of "gay rights" into a sledgehammer to oppress those who choose not to acknowledge that gay people are in any way special or worthier than the other 95% of people.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.