Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
"On Monday, April 13, as part of our ongoing Science on Screen series, psychiatrist and Harvard Medical School professor Steven Schlozman will introduce the film Night of the Living Dead with a talk on the theoretical neuroscience of zombies and the psychological effects they have on others."

[Coolidge Corner Theatre]

I am so there...

[edit] Science on Screen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
As an example of a zombie to be used during his lecture he will bring a boardgame geek who actually liked the game Rocketville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update. The lecture was really fun. We got a brief introduction to brain anatomy and the function of different brain structures. There was also commentary on how brain damage to specific brain structures produces symptoms not unlike those presented by zombies.

His big point was that zombies are like crocodiles, their behavior is driven by their amygdala, basically controlling base emotions like anger. Thalamic disfunction could disrupt normal feeding behavior and produce constant hunger. Cerebelar damage could produce a wide, shambling gate.

The movie was grand. I was surprised at how many people were surprised by the ending. I can only figure that the crowd, mostly people in their mid to late 20's hadn't seen the movie since they were teens and had forgotten the ending. I can't imagine that anyone turning up hadn't seen the movie at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boston.com wrote:
Science on Screen, a series at Boston's Coolidge Corner Theatre in which audiences watch a Hollywood movie and then a scientist uses it to explain real scientific principles, may soon arrive at your local rep theater — thanks to a $150,000 grant from the Arthur P. Sloan Foundation.

This series was really cool! I'm glad to see this idea taking off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
His big point was that zombies are like crocodiles, their behavior is driven by their amygdala, basically controlling base emotions like anger.

"Mama says alligators is ornery cuz they got all them teeth but no toothbrush."

Sorry couldn't resist...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.