Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are (hopefully this timecry) going to be playing a game of this tonight. We're going to do the S1 scenario. For the first 3 or 4 turns we will both be having things moving in from "off board". My question is: Does when something moves from off board do you pay for that first hex in MF for the first hex you put it on?

Also. Compleatly seperate question. When doing close combat how do you figure out the ratio thing? That compleatly lost me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:
My question is: Does when something moves from off board do you pay for that first hex in MF for the first hex you put it on?

Yes.

Quote:
Also. Completely separate question. When doing close combat how do you figure out the ratio thing? That completely lost me.

If you're not familiar with ratios it might be easier to consider decimals. 2:1 is just 2/1, which equals 2, 3:2 is 3/2 = 1.5, and so on. In CC, just divide the attacker's FP by the defender's FP and round down to the next matching odds column. So say you have a 7-4-7 fighting a 4-6-7. The 7-7-7 attacks at 7/4 = 1.75 odds. That rounds to 1.5 (3:2). The 4-6-7 attacks back at 4/7 = 0.57, which rounds to 0.5. Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:

If you're not familiar with ratios it might be easier to consider decimals. 2:1 is just 2/1, which equals 2, 3:2 is 3/2 = 1.5, and so on. In CC, just divide the attacker's FP by the defender's FP and round down to the next matching odds column. So say you have a 7-4-7 fighting a 4-6-7. The 7-7-7 attacks at 7/4 = 1.75 odds. That rounds to 1.5 (3:2). The 4-6-7 attacks back at 4/7 = 0.57, which rounds to 0.5. Does that help?

Umm. I don't mean to sound like an idiot but I didn't really under stand that. I haven't taken a math class in over 10 years and I never got that stuff really well to begin with. You're gonna have to dumb it down more for me or explain how you get the ratios from the decimals. I get the Attacker FP/Defender FP but once you get the decimal how do you get a ratio from that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:
I get the Attacker FP/Defender FP but once you get the decimal how do you get a ratio from that?

A ratio compares two values by division. How does 8 compare to 4? 8 is twice as big as 4. In other words, 8/4 = 2. The ratio is 2, or 2:1 if you prefer. The ratio 2:1 is the same darn thing as the number 2, because 2/1 = 2.

The ASLSK reference cards use a dash instead of a colon, so 2:1 is written 2-1. So for each odds column (2-1, 3-2, etc.), just calculate the decimal and write it in on the card over each column. "2-1" = 2/1 = 2, "3-2" = 3/2 = 1.5, etc. Then, after dividing the attacker's FP by the defender's FP, find the matching column, rounding down if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What would be nice is a table with all ratios printed. Has anyone done this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lynott
United Kingdom
Altrincham
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do have to pay the terrain cost for the first hex, though you have all of the usual movement options available to you.

You could for example assault move onto the map to avoid First Fire Non Assault Movement (FFNAM) which has a -1 DRM. Or you can even move units onto the board in the advance phase and avoid defensive fire altogether.

You can also claim the road bonus if you move onto a road hex as first hex, and don't forget you can double time if you wish.

Cheers, Al.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.