Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the turn you put your Ghouls in decline can they make any conquests that turn or only in the next turn after you've put them in decline?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Ottmaier
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
Only in the next turn after you`ve put them in decline.

Klaus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have said that they *can* attack in the turn that they are put into decline. The rules say "Your Ghoul tokens ALL stay on the map when going into Decline, instead of the usual 1 token per region. In addition, unlike other races, once in decline, your ghouls can continue to conquer new regions each turn, playing exactly as if they were still active tokens."

So from that I read that you decline your ghouls at the start of the turn (as you would with any non-Stout race), then - as the ghouls are now in decline - you can carry on attacking with the ghouls that turn (and all subsequent turns), as if they were still active. I can't see anything in the ghouls' rules that says that they have to effectively miss a turn, the round they actually decline in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did say "Once in decline..." Doesn't it take a whole turn to go into decline? So I would say that no, you do not get to attack while going into decline because it takes your whole turn to go into decline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
I would have said that they *can* attack in the turn that they are put into decline. The rules say "Your Ghoul tokens ALL stay on the map when going into Decline, instead of the usual 1 token per region. In addition, unlike other races, once in decline, your ghouls can continue to conquer new regions each turn, playing exactly as if they were still active tokens."

So from that I read that you decline your ghouls at the start of the turn (as you would with any non-Stout race), then - as the ghouls are now in decline - you can carry on attacking with the ghouls that turn (and all subsequent turns), as if they were still active. I can't see anything in the ghouls' rules that says that they have to effectively miss a turn, the round they actually decline in.

We play it like you. At the start of his round the Ghoul player is allowed to go into decline with his race, turns around his tokens, starts conquering and gets his coins before his turn ends. In the next round he conquers with his Ghouls again, then choses his new race and starts conquering with them.

In the German rules it says:

"...Im Gegensatz zu anderen Rassen können die Ghule außerdem, wenn sie untergegangen sind, nach wie vor jede Runde neue Regionen erobern..."

Paraphrasing:

"...In contrast to other races, when declined, the Ghouls are able to conquer new regions in every round..."

So we expect the Ghoul rule to circumvent the decline rule, that the turn immediately ends after collection the coins, because the Ghouls can conquer between declination and counting of coins. But I'd appreciate an official ruling on that one, as I'm not 100% sure we play it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that this post in another thread by Eric from DoW clarifies this point. In a round that a race goes into decline, there is no attack phase, so there can be no attacks, including by Ghouls.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3235978#3235978
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric was being asked about ghouls attacking when the player had a second, Active race. I'm not sure that the answer he gives there is applicable to the situation being asked about here. Hopefully he'll be along in a bit to set us all right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A better counter-argument to my POV would be to ask about Stout Ghouls - there would be no point in them, if Ghouls could already attack in the turn that they go In Decline. And I can't think of any other combo where a Race power effectively makes a special power pointless for that race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
I believe that this post in another thread by Eric from DoW clarifies this point. In a round that a race goes into decline, there is no attack phase, so there can be no attacks, including by Ghouls.

The answer does seem to say that, but seeing it's being applied to other case I'd like an official clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:

Correct. This applies here as well (and Richard's comment on Stout Ghouls is spot on too).

Eric @ DoW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Soares
Portugal
Galiza, S. Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ghouls can not attack in the same turn they go in decline because:

- There are no attacks after going in decline.
- Player has no ghouls in his/her hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.