Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title pretty much says it, but to expand,
How many of you have played a "full" solo-campaign of 8 games, the way the rulebook suggested it?

I'm still struggling.

For you that did, what card drawing system did you use? (ie the 10-3 thing, the trade 3 for 1, or any other homemade system.)
What decks did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finished an 8 game campaign, and I'm 5 games into a second.

I tend to vary decks between games.

Usually, I draw 10 discard 3.
For one game, I cherry picked 6 cards from each and went a card short as a penalty for having chosen each card.

Mostly, I use E & K deck, since I deck is more focused towards multi-player games. Also, about every third game, I use the Z deck.

I'm actually playing an 8 game series using Through the Seasons at the moment. I like it. I pick my starting season at random by rolling a d4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Giglia
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played over sixty games of Agricola and about forty of those have been solo plays. But with all that solo time, I've yet to play an eight game series. I've been meaning to, but I haven't quite gotten around to it yet.

So far my highest score playing a straight solo game with E, I, and K decks has been 73 points (with Mansion in play). My next highest scoring solo game was 66, which I achiched on three seperate occassions. What's everyone elses highest single play solo game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished two of them. The games go really fast and you can play all eight games on a lazy Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a fair number of them. At least 5, I think, maybe 10. I always just pulled 7 random E decks cards. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy to make your numbers. The very first game in a series can be a little dicey if you get a poor sequence of actions (late sheep hurt especially), but once those bonus occupations start piling up you start getting a lot of bonus food, which lets you make more points, which gets you even more bonus food, etc. After the first few series, I started making the goal numbers increase much more quickly. I also banned keeping Lord of the Manor as a permanent Occupation, as it pretty much guarantees a bonus 8 VP every game past the third one, which is enormous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Richards
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finished a few. I don't do them all at once. I keep notes of what cards I get to carry over to the next game. I will do two or three games in a series, wait a couple weeks, and then continue with another two or three. I have used all card decks, but I only use one deck for each series of 8 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb

I've done the 8-game routine once, which for me was enough. I much prefer competitive Agricola. On the now-rare occasions that I'll play the game solo, I much prefer to play a 2-player game, switching sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so i just closed the box on my third attempt, which was succesfull.

This time i used the K-deck, and trade 3 for any card system.
There were afew close calls, and my 8:th game closed exactly on the point limit.

Its funny how much the changing order of actions can really mess up your plans, and how easy it is to get distracted.

Thats 13 solo games today, and i STILL feel like i could add some Z-deck cards and go again, using another card drawing system.

Thanks for you input guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uzza .
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
I've completed 4 8-game solitare campaigns in the last month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hickey
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've finished a full campaign. I used the flash version of the game so that it went much, much faster.

I used a modified card draft. First round, I drew 7 cards at random. One of those was held over for the next game, and the other six were drawn again at random. For round five, I held over the original card plus a new one, and drew 5 at random. Etc.

This does slightly enhance your final score, since you're picking the best card from each round and making it part of your permanent suite of abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed 3 campaigns: one with E-deck, one with I and one with K. All following normal rules.

First 3 games in every campaign are the hardest. After that, I think I only lost 1 game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so today i played another 8 game singleplayer campaign. I used the I deck, which was surprisingly funny actually, and the "may trade 3 cards for 1" draft variant.

rounds ticked in at 59m69m69m64m72,80,78 and 80 pts.

As stated above, i pretty much agree that the few first ones are the hard ones, and after that it's pretty much avoidoing to tire out and make dumb mistakes.

Mainly i think it's becouse you can keep occupations that aren't ment to be playable early on, and now you can have them from the beginning of the game. Also the fact that alot the minor improvement that needs a few occupations played before you can play them become automatically availabe in later games, lets you cash in on them pretty early.

The shortage of wood seems to be pretty easy to circumvent with some good occupations, but the shortage of stone in single player is pretty evil. I really miss those 3-player options of getting ANY building material, as quite often i ended up with some odd action wasted on the last turn, due to critical shortness of stone.

Anyhoo. All in a good days solo-gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.