Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need some help/clarification with the following 2 cards.

1. Paul Lemond

Action: pay 1 to choose a character. until the end of the phase, Paul Lemond gains all that characters printed icons.

Question:

1a. Can I choose an opponents character or can I only choose one of my own characters?

1b: If my opponent takes control of the character until the end of the phase, can they pay 1 and choose a character?

1c: At the end of phase if my opponent has taken control of Paul (or any other character.) , is he/it returned to me exhausted, or is he/it discarded.

2. Thing from the stars

Lower the cost to play thing from the stars by 1 (to a minimum of 1) for each resources type other than Hastur attached to the domain drained to pay for thing from the stars

Action exhaust to choose and destroy one insane character

To pay for Thing from the stars I will still need to drain a domain with at least 5 resources so what is the point of lowering the cost, am I missing something?

Thanks for all your assistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
edmil wrote:
1a. Can I choose an opponents character or can I only choose one of my own characters?

It says "a" character, so you can choose any character in play. Always read the cards very literally.

edmil wrote:
1b: If my opponent takes control of the character until the end of the phase, can they pay 1 and choose a character?

Yes, you can trigger the ability of any character you control.

edmil wrote:
1c: At the end of phase if my opponent has taken control of Paul (or any other character.) , is he/it returned to me exhausted, or is he/it discarded.

He is returned to you in the same state that he left your opponent. And then he's back in play on your side in that same state. No discarding or anything else.

edmil wrote:
To pay for Thing from the stars I will still need to drain a domain with at least 5 resources so what is the point of lowering the cost, am I missing something?

If you lower the cost, you no longer need 5 resources. So, if you drain a domain with 4 resources, one of which is Yog, then you can pay for the card with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris that helps. I presume if my character takes a hit, which would be the most likely scenario if I win the combat Icon struggle, then my character then hits my discard pile.

Pretty nasty sort of event - takes my character, uses all icons on one of hers, forces me into winning a combat round, chooses my character to take the hit and whammo my character is gone and there's a good chance she wins the story to boot.

Still struggling understanding the resource adjustment for the Thing from the Stars I can never see it getting down to a minimum of 1 the best I can see is costing 3 resources. i.e. One Hastur + 2 non Hastur then reduced resource cost = 3

I am presuming that you still need to have at least one Hastur card in the domain to be able to pay for Thing from the Stars.

Am I still missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
edmil wrote:
Still struggling understanding the resource adjustment for the Thing from the Stars I can never see it getting down to a minimum of 1 the best I can see is costing 3 resources. i.e. One Hastur + 2 non Hastur then reduced resource cost = 3

The "minimum of one" is there for possible combos with other cost reducers. There are none that would help in the current card set, admittedly ... anyway, you're correct in thinking that, by itself and without anything else happening, the Thing from the Stars will cost at least 3.

edmil wrote:
I am presuming that you still need to have at least one Hastur card in the domain to be able to pay for Thing from the Stars.

Yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edmil wrote:
Pretty nasty sort of event - takes my character, uses all icons on one of hers, forces me into winning a combat round, chooses my character to take the hit and whammo my character is gone and there's a good chance she wins the story to boot.

What event are we talking about? Blind Submission? And how is she forcing you to win the combat struggle.

Also, its pertinent to mention that if you take control of an opponent's character while it is committed to a story, it is no longer committed to that story. In effect, the character does not simply "flip sides". If you've been playing that way up until this point, that will probably take some of the sting out of that event.

However, Blind submission can still work really well for helping you win story struggles, but mostly by allowing you to remove one of the fighters from your opponent's side, not necessarily adding them to yours. Well you could do either, you just have to get the timing right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the event and the scenario Chris

Polar Mirage is the Event

Play during you opponents turn after their characters have been committed to stories.

Action Choose an opponents character that has not been committed to a story. Take control of that character until the end of the phase, and commit it to a story of your choice. if able

5 Story Phase.

(a) No actions taken

(b) I commit to story phase. Paul Lamont not committed by me

(c) Madeleine takes control of Paul Lamont

(d) Madeleine commits to story and includes Paul Lamont

(e) There are no actions I can take in reply

(f) Madeleine wins terror Icon struggle
I am forced to win combat struggle through her committed characters
She chooses Paul Lamont to take the hit - he's dead
She wins Arcane struggle
We draw on Investigator icon
She wins on Skill points
Last icon required she takes story

(g) I have no response

(h) No action taken

Probably very bad play on my side and good play on Madeleine's (and I won't live it down)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Madeline is clever-er than am I.

Watch your back, Edmil.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that would do it. Very smart playing from Madeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.