Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Kruse
United States
Cavour
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very new to Battletech, in fact the Intro set that I ordered hasn't even arrived yet. With that being said, is there a published campaign system for Battletech? If so what is it, and if not what have people used for a campaign system?

Thanks for any info.

rdk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think MerricB and a bud have some sort of Battletech campaign ongoing. If you doesn't see this thread in the next day or two, you might consider dropping him a note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic Battletech Starterbook: Sword and Dragon is probably the best place to begin a campaign with. I'd also suggest, as John did, looking up some of Merric's session reports under that book's heading.

There's also the Battletech: Chaos Campaign, which has a free set of core rules and a series of PDF-only books (at $5 each) for sale on the Battlecorps Web site. However, that campaign is tied to the current Jihad story line (which isn't represented in the fiction in the box set) and isn't specially tailored to newer players like the Starterbook one is. (I should also say that the Sword and Dragon campaign needs only the box set, but it's designed to lead players into the full tournament rules, Classic Battletech: Total Warfare.

There are also any number of old scenario packs floating around on eBay, and a few are available in PDF form from Battlecorps. These old packs offer a bit of fiction plus a series of scenarios, sometimes linked. The rules haven't changed so much that these scenario packs are out-of-date rules-wise, at least not in any major way. However, they would require either making your own record sheets or buying PDF versions (again from Battlecorps) to match because these sets use 'Mechs that aren't in the box set.

I think there might be some rules for connecting scenarios in the box set. You can always just make up some homebrew scenarios and ad hoc rules for connecting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look here for some more ideas in the new Classic Line http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=products

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kruse
United States
Cavour
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the info. I was thinking that a system like Battleground: Kingdoms would be very nice. The scenarios would be out of the Martial Olympiad 2002 and 2004 packs, the maps would be whatever map pack you owned. The trick would be what kind of special items could be built onto your dropship, like the building in the battleground kingdom game, and how to deal with the money for new mechs, repairs ect. But I think it wouldn't be to terribly hard once I sit down and think about it.

thanks again for the info

rdk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this post I did a few back. Details most of the current options including the Starterbook campaign system.

http://www.scrapyardarmory.com/2009/03/03/battletech-campaig...

Best bet is the Starterbook though. Best bang for your buck, especially for a new player. Welcome to the game btw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could probably use the Victory by any Means rules to create a pretty good Battletech campaign.

http://www.geekdo.com/boardgame/5418/victory-by-any-means-ca...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.