Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have quite a few boardgames, but one game I don't have is Lost Cities. Rich owns it, mainly because I bought it for him as a birthday present back a couple of years ago. So, on the rare occasions we play 2-player games, he tends to bring it out.

I must admit, I'm not that fond of the game. When it comes to dedicated two-player games, I prefer Roma and Balloon Cup, but Lost Cities has its attractions. And its frustrations. I just love seeing one player get a perfect hand that gives lots and lots of points, whilst the other player gets a hand that scores, but not that much, leading to depression and frustration and dark thoughts. Don't you?

The first round actually played extremely tightly, with both of us scoring well and with only a few points separating us. Merric 58, Rich 60.

The second round wasn't so good. I didn't do that badly, but the cards didn't like me. Rich scored very heavily in Red, which swung the game greatly in his favour. Merric +28=86, Rich +74=134.

For the third round, I knew I had to play aggressively. And my hand said, "play Red! play Red! play Red!"

Well, I played Red. I played two Red investments. I drew high cards in every colour... but the one thing I couldn't draw was a lot of red cards. Instead, I got to see Rich play Red card after Red card!

Yes, I managed to lose 3 points in Red!

I ended up "winning" the final round, but only by 5 points. Rich took the game by a big margin. At least I broke 100 points...

Final scoring: Merric +17 => 103, Rich +11 => 145.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.