Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
The one game Rich had really been looking forward to this day was Through the Ages, and we got the chance to play it after dinner.

Our initial choices was the Library of Alexandria for me, and the Hanging Gardens and Patriotism for Rich. Ah... he wanted to play a military strategy!

As it turned out, Rich never fully managed to get away in Military until the very end when it really was too late. The game was particularly notable for the very low number of events played in it; we resolved the last of the "Age I" events during Age III!

The Library of Alexandria, which I completed fairly quickly, gave me a small but significant lead over Rich in both culture and knowledge, and then I took Aristotle to make that lead more significant. Rich, meanwhile, took Caesar, but wasn't able to get a good lead in military: workers were just too tight.

As the game progressed, I was "wonder boy", building five wonders in all: Library of Alexandria, St Peter's Basilica, Universitas Carolina, Ocean Liner Service and Fast Food Chains. Upgrading my mines and farms came a distant second to the wonders. Incredibly, the first building I actually upgraded was my Lab: and I only had one of them!

Rich kept in touch by virtue of his theatre (Drama), but he never really looked like threatening me... then came the end game, when Alex Randolph became the leader of his civilisation and in combination with the Theatres and Libraries he built, he was gaining 17 culture a turn compared to my 5! He caught up and moved significantly past me. My Fast Food Chains brought me within a handful of points behind him.

However, there weren't enough turns left for Rich to gain the winning lead. As the Age III events were turned up, of which we ended up seeding six (in complete contrast to the early game), I kept scoring more points than Rich. Not perhaps great amounts, but enough.

When the final scoring was done, I had 110 points to Rich's 96. Rich had played well, and will probably do even better with some more experience. Me? I just find new blunders to perpetuate!

My board:

Rich's board:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, one of us tried what for us is a rare strategy, Aristotle + Library of Alexandria. The library really combines well with Aristotle who can rake in the science. Boosted by his bonus, he can just about take and play any Age I tech per turn. My opponent got off to a great start with this combo. Her only real alternative was Hanging Gardens + Aristotle, but this seemed to work well for a great start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Jans really likes the Printing Press and its not hard to see why. Instead of upgrading to Alchemy, you build a Printing press. You save 1 science. And for 1 more worker and 1 more resource, you get the same science benefit and an additional culture. This sets you up for a Shakespeare strat and for cheap upgrades in Age III. The cheap, early culture advantage adds up and you can then focus on infrastructure and military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
And for 1 more worker and 1 more resource, you get the same science benefit and an additional culture.

Just one more worker? That's like our members of Congress allocating just a billion dollars. A billion here, a billion there, soon it adds up to real money. Similarly, finding workers to spare is generally pretty hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Workers to spare? I had heaps this game! The trouble was assigning them to anything...

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
BFoy wrote:
And for 1 more worker and 1 more resource, you get the same science benefit and an additional culture.

Just one more worker? That's like our members of Congress allocating just a billion dollars. A billion here, a billion there, soon it adds up to real money. Similarly, finding workers to spare is generally pretty hard.

Not really, it requires alittle more effort. I've had games where I took Moses and most the food/pop increasing events came out.blush I've also built a farm with my first pop. Getting lots of pop isn't hard, using it is the trick. The turns you've spent increasing pop, weren't used for other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
Getting lots of pop isn't hard, using it is the trick.

Even a big pile of Swordsmen are very useful. I just don't think it can be true that you can have more people than you can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.