Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Kings and Barons. New Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roger smooth
msg tools
Hi I've just posted the details for playing Kings and Barons to the "101 Things For A Chap To Do " blog. See http://101things4.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-play-king-baro...

Note: Instructions updated to sort earlier error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bullion
United States
N. Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I might be missing something, but even if the king moves first, how can he possibly win if the baron player simply moves the piece on the far right forward? The king has to waste two moves going sideways to block or get into the empty part of the row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruce, I don't think you're missing anything. As written, the game is broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger smooth
msg tools
Bruce your spot on, its a result of very poor wording in the instructions on my part. Sorry. It should read "3. The object is to get the kings piece to the other side of the board. Each player takes it in turns to achieve or prevent this." The Barons pieces just have to prevent the king getting to the other side of board. Have edited the instructions accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still broken, I think. I'll take the barons, and I'll just move all the barons forward together. That is, I'll move them all forward one step (in any order), then move them all forward another step, and so on. Eventually, the king will be trapped; he has no way to break through.

The king can temporarily stop my pattern; after I move three barons forward, the king could step in front of the fourth. No matter; I move my baron which is furthest from the king, and then the king must move out of the way of my fourth baron. I then start the pattern again.

King loses. Broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Warsaw
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It says the board should be 10x14 squares, but then it shows a board 10x4 squares. And, as many have pointed out, 10x4 squares doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. The rules have changed again. Now the king can pass up to three times during the game. That shoots down my strategy.

Give me some time. Maybe I can break this one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.