Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

After many weeks of font design, facecard editing, and massive nanDeck coding, I've created what for now I'm calling "UltraDeck"

UltraDeck is based on the concept of expanding a normal deck of cards as aesthetically and unobtrusively as possible. The base 52 cards are unchanged from a standard poker deck (with option of a four-color standard deck)

Ultradeck currently has 10 possible suits, in up to 8 suit colors.
Each suit is 0-20, JQK, and J2,Q2,K2

Because of the design, 11-20 J2,Q2,K2 can easily be viewed as a second deck of A-10 J/Q/K, thus allowing playing of games such as Uno, Pinochle, etc which require duplicate cards. For example, the 11 of Clubs below can be used as a second Ace of Clubs. The 15 of Rooks can be used as a second 5 of Rooks. The 2nd King of Hearts is shown along with the primary Queen of Cups.

I am considering making the Zero card play dual role as a Tichu, by putting Tichu Dog/Dragon/Phoenix/Sword graphics inside the zero. I'm particularly interested in your opinion of that idea. In case you are wondering about Jokers, for a "normal" card game, the Zero cards would be the jokers.

Here is a real quick view of how you might use UltraDeck cards.
An 8 suit deck:
As 4 separate decks of cards.
As 2 Pinochle decks
As 1 Sticheln deck
As 2 Uno or Phase10 decks
As 2 Lost Cities decks
As 2 Battle Line Decks
As 2 Tichu Decks

A six suit deck:
As 2 separate decks of cards.
As 1 Pinochle decks
As 1 Sticheln deck
As 1 Uno, Phase10, or Rage deck
As 2 Lost Cities decks
As 2 Battle Line Decks
As 1 Tichu Deck

A four suit deck (std Hearts/Diamonds/Clubs/Spades)
As 2 separate decks of cards.
As 1 Pinochle deck
As 1 Uno, or Phase10 deck
As 1 Tichu Deck

A six suit deck 0-14, J/Q/K only
(108 cards -- equivalent count as 2 normal decks w/jokers)
1 standard deck of cards
1 Lost Cities deck
1 Battle Line / Schotten Totten deck (without tactics)
1 Tichu Deck

etc....

These are just a very few of countless games that can be played with UltraDeck cards.

Here are some example images. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Other than possible incorporation of feedback from this thread, my only remaining tasks are the design of the card backs, the possible inclusion of Tichu graphics on the zero card, and maybe a custom Ace of Spades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!

Paul
I'm liking this - it's got a utilitarian and hobbiest vibe to it, like a card version of the piece pack series.

I'm excited by the possibilities. While a standard deck of card can be used for just about anything, this is much more imaginative and interesting. At least to me. I can tell you've got something going here 'cause when I glanced at the cards my first thought was "I'll bet you can make a ton of games based of these decks".

In summary:

thumbsup

I'd buy at least a couple of these if you were selling them.

Keep up the good work.

BTW - My first though was a fantasy/medieval game where rooks help you with fortifications, cups with religion, and stars with astronomy.

Wonderful stuff.

I hope you're going to sell these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it so far, and I wouldn't hesitate to add words or symbols for other games. It wouldn't take much to stagger a secondary symbol on the the diagonal from the suit/number. I don't think Jack/Queen/King/Ace are necessary at all. Most games use them as some number value carrying on from 10, anyway.

I think you'd have a wider audience if you used the French/American suits alongside the German/Swiss/Spanish suits, but it looks like you've gone too far for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joseph- I'm thrilled to read that someone other than myself feels this deck fills a small void other decks don't cover. I will email you more details separately when I'm not typing on my cell phone!

Donald, you bring up several valid & interesting points. I had considered adding German suits, but they did not fit the look/feel I had envisioned.

Regarding a numeric only deck vs Ace/J/Q/K: Other than making a 1 card rather than an ace, I've got it covered. However, so does a Sticheln deck, mass-marketed and easily available. My card playing world is filled with calls of "one-eyed jacks" "suicide kings" "left & right bowers" and "Aces high." For me, there is a rich tradition in the American/French deck which I wished to build upon, not replace. This is what motivated me to design this deck.

Also, in looking at the games I am most likely to play, many have 'special cards.' For example the handshake cards in Lost Cities. Marking them with royal face cards seems a natural fit.
Or - heaven forbid - the kids want to play Uno. The Jack jumps = skip card, the Queen changes her mind = reverse, and the King taxes = take 2. These are a better fit in my mind than assigning sets of numbers.

"Special" cards played a HUGE part in my decision to have 2 sets of face cards for each suit.

None of this is a right/wrong issue, more a matter of taste and goals. but you made some valid comments worthy of response.

EDIT for spelling, grammar, and punctuation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
LessPaul wrote:
Joseph- I'm thrilled to read that someone other than myself feels this deck fills a small void other decks don't cover. I will email you more details separately when I'm not typing on my cell phone!

Paul - I think you've got potential here for filling more than just a small void.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder about making the background of either the 4 non-standard decks, or the cards from 11-20, J2, Q2, K2 a different color background. The background could be light gray for instance. This would make separating the decks easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wyldeoak wrote:
I wonder about making the background of either the 4 non-standard decks, or the cards from 11-20, J2, Q2, K2 a different color background. The background could be light gray for instance. This would make separating the decks easier.

Craig, an interesting idea, but I'm wondering if the need isn't already adequately met:

- All extended card values have grey shadows (see 11, 15, and K2 above)
- All new suits have new colors and pips. (see 5 of Stars, Queen of Cups, and 15 of Rooks above)

to sort them into four decks:
black/red one pile
black/red shadowed second pile
green/blue third pile
green/blue shadowed fourth pile

The (minor) problem I see with having the background a different color, it that it takes only a peek of the edge of a card to discern information about the card. A peek of white betrays nothing. Also, I personally find a uniform white background more aesthetically pleasing, but if I'm in the minority, I'd like to know!

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Candidate Suit Pips
Which, if any, of the following suits (in addition to the standard Hearts/Spades/Diamonds/Clubs) do you like?
Crowns
Maples
Stars
Cups
Blossoms
Rooks
Butterflys (Bugs)
Bells
      66 answers
Poll created by LessPaul

Reasons for likes/dislikes much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose maples, stars, rooks, & bells. I voted for what appear to me visually to be most discrepant.

Alternatives could be:
chess images: rook, king, knight, bishop.
piecepack suits: sun, moon, crown, fleur de lise
astronomical suits: sun, moon, star, comet
nature: fire, water, air, earth

On the other hand, I think I would prefer 4 suits not obviously related to make the set more abstract and not directed to a particular theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jimenez
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
You could use the Spanish deck too: clubs, golds (coins), cups and swords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Pirilla
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually started working on something similar, inspired by the earlier thread on expanding a standard deck.

From my sketches, I feel that the most important aspect of pip design is simplicity. A simple shape (Such as your Stars and Cups) just gives a cleaner feel to the cards, in my opinion; a pip design with fine details (like your Crowns, Blossoms, or Bells) just takes a moment longer to recognize and tends to make cards feel cluttered in my opinion.

The Bell pip, for example, I would simplify by removing the upper bracing, just leaving the curve and the tip of the clapper.

Other pips I've thought about include: (Tear)drops, (Crescent) Moons, or Hourglass (simply two triangles pointing towards each other).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would miss the jokers. Sure, as you say, the zeros could serve the same purpose, but whenever I get a new deck of cards, I always enjoy seeing the joker design. I can't imagine I'm alone on this.

But other than that omission, I really like what you're doing here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is a lot like what I'm putting together.
Mine is themed around the Green Lantern Darkest Night storyline. I'm trying to scrounge up good images to make 'face' cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ppirilla wrote:
I actually started working on something similar, inspired by the earlier thread on expanding a standard deck.

From my sketches, I feel that the most important aspect of pip design is simplicity. A simple shape (Such as your Stars and Cups) just gives a cleaner feel to the cards, in my opinion; a pip design with fine details (like your Crowns, Blossoms, or Bells) just takes a moment longer to recognize and tends to make cards feel cluttered in my opinion.

The Bell pip, for example, I would simplify by removing the upper bracing, just leaving the curve and the tip of the clapper.

Other pips I've thought about include: (Tear)drops, (Crescent) Moons, or Hourglass (simply two triangles pointing towards each other).

I'll address your comments and few misc others. Pips I've tried, and abandoned:

Moons
fleur de lise
the German pips
Teardrops

Several criteria have led me to where I'm at.
I decided that all pips MUST (as do the original four):
1) Be a solid shape
2) Have bilateral symmetry (mirrored left to right)
3) Be compatible with the shadowed "inner pip" 11-20 concept
4) A generic, easily identified shape
5) Seem "at home" along side the standard four pips.

Stars are a hands-down natural.
I like the Rooks and Cups (though my wife hates the latter)
I'm fond of Maples, probably because it was one of my first pips, but it it a bit too similar to clubs
Oddly, I find blossoms to be too vague, rather than too detailed.
Bugs is doing as I thought it would, a few fans, but not many.
I've mixed feeling with regard to Crowns -- at the very least it needs some tweaking.

Then comes bells. I have about 4 different bell designs, most simpler, and the "liberty bell" (above) being the most complicated. Personally, I find "liberty" to the quickest to identify (I've been looking at thousands of generated images of all sizes). Where I find it lacking is that it is not generic - it says "colonial USA".

The problem I am having with the other bells is that so far they seem too "massive" compared to the other pips. Perhaps later I'll post an example.

So overall I'm pretty happy with Stars, Rooks, and Cups, with a redesigned Crown or Bell being the most likely fourth pip. I lean toward bell as Rooks and Crowns have a bit of thematic connection which I'd rather do without if possible. If someone sees a theme, fine, but I am not seeking to have the pips fit any theme other than aesthetic and design concern compatibility.

Some of the shapes I dismissed were too busy, some were not symmetrical, some had hollows and weren't "shadow-compatible." Teardrops looked too much like diamonds unless they "curved" to one side, and then they were no longer symmetrical.

The BIGGEST difficulty I am having with this deck is keeping the options in check. For example those who long for the missing jokers. Right now my deck(s) fit the confines of a 54 card printing -- compatible with the Print-on-demand folks such as ArtsCow.

I'm not yet sure where this project is going to end up - a commercial effort, a mixture of commercial and print-n-play, or release it fully to the game community.

Believe it or not, there is a common advantage to a commercial offering -- better quality cards at a lower price. However, in going that route I have to be careful how much configuration I can allow. I don't want to find myself 20 years from now wondering what to do with that box of 1000 pink "magic wand" suited cards.

In case anyone is wondering, my current thoughts are:

EIGHT SUIT, FOUR COLOR
Black/Red Hearts/Spades/Diamonds/Clubs:
Standard (A, 2-10, JQK) deck w/Heart and Spade zeros
Extended (11-20 J2Q2K2) deck w/Diamond and Club zeros

Blue/Orange (or Blue/Green ... haven't decided)
Standard (A, 2-10, JQK) deck w/Star and Rook zeros
Extended (11-20 J2Q2K2) deck w/Cup and ??? zeros

====================================================

EIGHT SUIT, EIGHT COLOR
Black Spades / Red Hearts / Blue Clubs / Orange Diamonds
Standard (A, 2-10, JQK) deck w/Heart and Spade zeros
Extended (11-20 J2Q2K2) deck w/Diamond and Club zeros

Gold Star / Green Rook / Violet Cup / Brown ???:
Standard (A, 2-10, JQK) deck w/Star and Rook zeros
Extended (11-20 J2Q2K2) deck w/Cup and ??? zeros

It is also possible, as hinted at in the first post. to make some lesser sized decks, such as a 6 suit will full extentions, or an 8 suit deck ending at 14, by adding 54 cards (one deck) to the basic Hearts/Clubs/Diamonds/Spades "dual pack"

Well, that's enough rambling for the moment, and now is time for Heroes. I'm hoping they keep this season afloat -- it's doing a little better in recent weeks. Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked maples cause I'm a Canuck. The cups and stars are solid. Picked crowns too but a bit hesitant on whether I like them or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Pirilla
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LessPaul wrote:
Pips I've tried, and abandoned:

Moons
fleur de lise
the German pips
Teardrops

Several criteria have led me to where I'm at.
I decided that all pips MUST (as do the original four):
1) Be a solid shape
2) Have bilateral symmetry (mirrored left to right)
3) Be compatible with the shadowed "inner pip" 11-20 concept
4) A generic, easily identified shape
5) Seem "at home" along side the standard four pips.

The bilateral symmetry requirement makes a lot of sense now that I see it, but was not something I had considered before. 1, 4, and 5 were basically my requirements. I also tried, then threw away the fleur de lis.

Quote:
I like the Rooks and Cups (though my wife hates the latter)
I'm fond of Maples, probably because it was one of my first pips, but it it a bit too similar to clubs
Oddly, I find blossoms to be too vague, rather than too detailed.
Bugs is doing as I thought it would, a few fans, but not many.
I've mixed feeling with regard to Crowns -- at the very least it needs some tweaking.

I'm not a fan of the Rooks, though I really can't put my finger on why.

My "Cups" design has a smaller stem, but is otherwise quite similar to yours.

With the "blossoms" design, it was the fine lines of the whitespace that I was looking at when I called it too detailed, so we probably just named the same problem differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked Stars, Blossoms, Crowns, and Cups.

If you want to make shapes that fit with the original four (Diamonds, Clubs, Hearts, and Spades), why not use those four as the base for the new symbols?

The top of the Heart could be the poofy part of the Crown. Use the stem of the Spade and the Club as the stem of a Cup. Elongate the Diamond and make it a Sword. Use the top point of the Diamond to make a five-pointed Star.

I dunno. Great start, BTW! Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your star and cup are fine. I'd add acorn and maybe sword, leaf, or bell, but not the bell you have. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suit_(cards)

To quickly sort out 4 of the 8 suits, I'd add a gray box around the suit itself. Make it just wide enough that the suit fits inside with maybe a millimeter to spare. Instead of pulling out 4 colors of 8, you'll be pulling gray boxes. It'll go a lot faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The beauty of this thread is that there are so many great ideas and concepts.

The devil of this thread is that it is clear that tastes and preferences are very wide. So far the only thing that has had _almost_ universal approval is the star pip, currently enjoying a 89% approval rating.

Of the remaining pip concepts, only two others managed to crack the 50% level.

I've not read a bad idea in this thread. I now need to sit back and let the options percolate in my tiny brain. In the meantime, I think I'll add a second poll.
Poll: Which configuration(s) would you likely prefer:
If UltraDeck were sitting on the shelf at your FLGS with a reasonable price, which of the following do you think would get your consideration. Make the assumption that there would be minor price differences based on number of cards included. All sets assume first four to be the traditional suits.
I'd pass it by - I don't need yet another deck of cards
4 Suits: 0-20, JQK(1&2) in 2 colors
4 Suits: 0-20, JQK(1&2) in 4 colors
6 Suits: 0-14, JQK in 3 colors
6 Suits: 0-14, JQK in 6 colors
6 Suits: A-10, JQK in in 3 colors
6 Suits: A-10, JQK in in 6 colors
6 Suits: 0-20, JQK(1&2) in 3 colors
6 Suits: 0-20, JQK(1&2) in 6 colors
8 Suits: A-10, JQK in in 4 colors
8 Suits: A-10, JQK in in 8 colors
8 Suits: 0-20, JQK(1&2) in 4 colors
8 Suits: 0-20, JQK(1&2) in 8 colors
PopularGames: Special cards such as Jokers/Tichu/skip/reverse/take/wild
      17 answers
Poll created by LessPaul

Edit: Stars is dropping in popularity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Pirilla
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other options to consider (though it probably causes as many problems to mention it) include: 6 or 8 suits in two colours and five suits in five colours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Have you considered using an "icky" bug instead of the butterfly? Like maybe a scarab? (A beetle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you'll be posting the nanDeck script and associated files somewhere. I tried to do a piecepack deck a while back, and while it came out OK, it took quite a bit of time and I was never quite satisfied with it. Then my computer crashed and I lost the script file, which was heartbreaking.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falloutfan wrote:

Have you considered using an "icky" bug instead of the butterfly? Like maybe a scarab? (A beetle)

I like that idea, especially since not many people, including myself, care for the butterfly.

I've been visiting family this week, and should be home in a couple days to get back to work on the project.

In addition to your scarab idea, I am going to give a second shot at acorn and sword, and another attempt at bell, though I don't have high hopes. I've tried about three different bell designs, and so far none of them really seem to fit.

The pip poll is very much in line with what I had expected. Currently Stars is a winner, with Rooks and Cups both pulling greater than 50% approval. Crowns is next, and I think a bit of tweaking of the design might be in order.

I am a little bit surprised at the deck composition preference poll.

First, there is a lot more interest in an eight suited deck than I had expected and a MUCH higher interest in the 6-suit/6-color and 8-suit/8-color decks. I'd thought there would be more interest in keeping the diamonds/spades/hearts/clubs in the traditional two colors.

It did occur to me that an 8 or 9 suit deck could be built by combining a 6-suit/3-color deck with cards (*) from the 6 color deck:

6-suit 3-color 6-suit 6-color
Red Hearts Red Hearts
Red Diamonds *Orange Diamonds
Black Spades Black Spades
Black Clubs *Violet Clubs
Green Stars Green Stars
Green Rooks *Brown Rooks

And using this same logic, an 8-suit 4-color deck could be expanded to 9, 10, 11, or 12 suits. Ouch! I don't see much real-world use for such a deck, but who knows what folks might think of.

BTW, I have not yet decided which suits will be which colors, though my color list is probably going to be Black, Red, Green, Blue, Violet, Brown, Orange, and Gold/Amber. Yellow just doesn't work on a white card without outlining the pips and fonts, and that isn't consistent with my goal to keep the base 52 card deck unchanged.

At the moment I intend for the new 4 suits to reuse the traditional face cards though it has been suggested a new set might be nice. I would love to have a second set of Male/Female/Male face cards but at the moment I lack sufficient motivation to do so. (not to mention it may tax my graphic abilities). Perhaps later down the line.

As we discussed in an email, I can imagine countless sets of images that would seem at home along side the royalty faces. Perhaps representing different rungs of the social ladder - I believe it was you who suggested the church idea...

working class: stable hand, wife, farmer
medical: Barber/Midwife/Doctor
crime: pickpocket/courtisan/lawyer (sorry!)
church: monk/carmelite/bishop
magic: alchemist/witch/wizard
social: dandy/socialite/mayor
family: son/mother/father

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
I hope you'll be posting the nanDeck script and associated files somewhere. I tried to do a piecepack deck a while back, and while it came out OK, it took quite a bit of time and I was never quite satisfied with it. Then my computer crashed and I lost the script file, which was heartbreaking.

Clark

I appreciate the pain of losing all that hard work. I'll be doubly sure my backup is good! As far as releasing the nandeck script.

I'm not sure what direction I am going to take here. If there is sufficient interest, I feel that Ultradeck should be done "right" -- with top quality, plastic coated playing cards. However that level of quality comes with a significant investment, especially considering that 54 cards is considered one deck. Offering UltraDeck in 4-8 suits, and in up to 8 colors, would require the equivalent of 6 custom decks. Assume a minimum order of 100 decks, at $4 a deck, and a $100 a deck setup fee. Each deck would be 500 bucks. The minimum investment would be $3,000.

And since there is no way I could possibly anticipate exactly which deck configuration would be most popular, some would sell better than others, leaving the possibility of an inventory of left-over cards.

I've also considered going at it both ways -- uploading complete deck PDFs and/or Jpegs for the PnP crowd, and also having professionally printed cards made. It is a really tough decision. However, for now I am not distributing the nanDeck script, or my pip character set font.

Since I am considering the possibility of a semi-commercial product, I have sent nand a paypal contribution for the use of his terrific program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LessPaul wrote:

Since I am considering the possibility of a semi-commercial product, I have sent nand a paypal contribution for the use of his terrific program.

I believe Nand is a her. Nice cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.