Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried this version twice now and it seems to be a very tough game but balanced.I have really enjoyed it and I am plan on trying it some more but if anyone else wants to try it I have enclosed the rules below.

1)Players do not start with one random item/artifact during setup.

2)When a player uses the glasses you flip the tile over so everyone can see it.

3)Always use the four open portal tiles for setup.This means that two locations with have walls at random.

4)If the witches ability triggers then grab all tiles that do not have an artifact on them,shuffle those up,and place them back onto the board at random and put them face down.

5)Do not reveal the first ancient one during setup.

I hope people try this out and give me some feedback.I would love to hear some opinions of these rules.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your 4) is the normal rule, not a variant.

2) is the way we've been playing anyway, game is still damn hard. I really think they should have presented the "never speak about a portal" rule as an official variant to make the game tougher if you're finding it too easy.

1) 3) and 5) just make the game tougher than it already is, not something I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, in my opinion, 3) and 5) do not make the game harder, but maybe even easier!

If you KNOW there are exactly 4 Portals present, then you can often put an artifact on a location without having to look with some glasses. This saves time, and time is very precious in this game. Think about it: You check two locations, both are walls. If you know for sure there are 4 portals, everybody can grab artifacts and close everything!

And if the first ancient one is not revealed, you have to use one additional necronomicon, yes. But - if you draw one event with "Ancient one appears at miscatonic!!!" and there is no one revealed... then no one appears! (right?) This can help in the first turns, until you all use you necronomicons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point, having any fixed number of any portals would always be easier than the unknown.

5 could go either way as you said, depending on the luck of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that if you look at a portal tile then it is your responsibility. So if Blue goes to location 1 and looks at the tile then if it is a gate then he has to close it and we usually assume that if he moves to another location and looks at another gate then the1st one was a wall. I think the game is more fun with 3 players then 4 as the 2 monster cards per turn really make the game too hard in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 players shouldn't make a difference, should it? It's still the same 1/2 a monster per round per player rate as the 2 and 4 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you normally start with a randomly drawn item? If so I must have missed that.

Also I assume one can take a new artifact even if he already has an artifact but he must discard one of them after taking a new one. Can I get a confirmation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can do that, I asked that in a previous thread.

You can choose which of the two to throw away, so it's entirely possibly to take the last item from a location, throw it away, causing a reload of 3 new items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused about what you are trying to accomplish with this variant. The title, "total coop" is a bit odd since it already is a totally cooperative game; I assume you actually want totally open information? Perhaps to play with non-gamers so you can more easily help them out?

Since this makes the game a lot easier, I assume the intent is to cancel the easiness by not starting the players with items, and requiring them to reveal all the GOOs (though this means you can ignore an early Shadow card!).

I really don't know how using all 4 gates fits in...having 4 gates is probably easier than having a random number and requires you to use fewer glasses.

I find the hidden information creates an interesting sense of urgency and confusion, and can lead to some interesting moments when players try to guess what to do based on another player's actions. "Hmm, that player has looked at both purple and just tossed one purple run and used another to banish Thul Sadoon...so the purples must be clear...I've looked at those spots and they are empty...so this one must be a gate! I'll seal it blind since we're about to run out of time!"

However, I can see that what to talk about could cause a problem with some groups. Perhaps that's the reason you want to change it?

I also think the variable number of gates is very important to keeping the game tense and unpredictable. I'd be very wary of changing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think 1) and 5) make it tougher, not easier.

A major difficulty in this game is getting the GOO's revealed before Necron hits that damn "lose the game" spot in the middle of the track. Not revealing 1 to start means having to do it more than before, thus it's harder.

Not getting a free item means having to get more items from the board more often, which means getting more negatives like sanity losses, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.