Zombies!!!» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Why I really like Zombies!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Karch
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Guess this probably won't be much of a review, maybe should have posted in general...but this is my first post, gimme a break

Seems to me people either like this game or hate it. I happen to really like it. Here's why:

1)Love the theme and the idea of surviving and escaping a zombie horde. This helps a lot. While this alone may not be enough to win some over, it certainly makes my experience more enjoyable.

2)Even using the default rules, this game can be as long and expansive or as short and sweet as you want. Just place the helipad tile closer to the top or bottom of the map deck. Voila!

3)I love competitive games. This game offers a lot of screw your opponent opportunities, both through how you place map tiles and move zombies (though this usually has a fairly minor effect) and via the event cards. Some have complained about being only able to play one event card per round. To this I say house rule it. This leads me to the final and biggest reason I really like this game...

4)This game is completely customizable: Don't like that you can have a max of 3 event cards? Change it. Don't like that you can only play one event card per round? Change it. Don't like the roll to move? Change it. Don't like the play restrictions on map tiles or weapon cards? You guessed it, CHANGE IT!
The very nature and simplicity of this game allows you to pretty much tweak or completely change whatever you want. I mean the game starts with nothing, no board. You decide how to play the map tiles, either according to the default rules or not. You decide how to distribute zombies, you decide how to move the zombies. You can even decide to build the map before you play.
Once you start thinking about how to tweak the game more to your liking, you will quickly realize just how easy it is to introduce new elements: Search mechanics, weapon/item tweaks, more/different victory conditions, player vs. player mechanics, new tokens, variable player powers, different movement mechanics, different combat mechanics, co-op and solo play variants etc. You cant do this with a game like Puerto Rico, for example, without disturbing its delicate balance.
Twilight creations has even released an expansion of blank event cards and map tiles for you to use however you want. I believe this game was designed with total player customization in mind.

Now I understand that this will likely not appeal to some gamers who feel that a good game should be complete and totally playable right out of the box, and with these people I do agree to some extent. However, I am also a huge fan of customization (as evidenced by my Magic: the gathering collection) and really love the ease of which this game can be customized.

I would also like to point out that this game is on the cheaper side of the game spectrum. I think for ~$28 CAD for a ton of quality plastic zombies, cool looking event and map cards and a hell of a lot of customization opportunities you cant really go wrong.

So, there's my take on it. I realize that my reasons for liking this game may not be shared by all, especially those who have no interest in customization. But to these people I say; What the hells wrong with you!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Harris
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Damn, now I want to play some Zombies!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy Zombies!!! also and have all the expansions.
Last year I noticed the game missing from its designated place with all my other games.
After some questioning I found that my daughter had been taking it over to her friends and playing it with the 3.5 expansion and a few other expansion.

Since I knew she liked it also, I bought the base game and a few expansions for her last Christmas. Now we have two Zombies!!! sets in the house. I have the earlier edition and she has the lastest edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I believe this game was designed with total player customization in mind.

Zombies!!! is a great toolkit game, unfairly slated by eurogamers with a poor sense of imagination or creativity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.