Popular Tags: [View All]
jason besly
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summary: 4er, 7 rds (Era A=3,Era B=2, Era C=2), 5.5 hrs for all newbies

General Tips:
All of us read the rules in advance, read the BGG posts, and watched boardgameswithscott #17 to get a good understanding of the game. I will ask the other guys for confirmation of details and permission to share their names to ease tracking the 4 players.

Era A (as best as I can remember):

Rd 1 - Two rice and two shipping companies chosen in South Java. One of each type researched slots and expansion (ship 1 & rice 1), so we started to diverge slightly. Everyone shared during Ops.

Rd 2 - Guys with a 2nd slot acquired spice (ship 2,spice 1) and ship (rice 2,ship3) respectively. Original shippers 1&2 expanded hull player level 2. I researched merger level 2. The rice/ship guy chose expansion (maybe slot lvl 3?).

Rd 3 - I merged the two rice companies for a min bid of 140. Everyone acquired a 2nd company aside from me. I researched slots level 2. Another guy researched merger lvl 2. The other two guys researched level 3 slots.

Era B (as best as I can remember):

Rd 1 - I acquired a shipping company (rice 1/2, ship 4). The first rubber company (ship 1, rub 1) came out to strategically keep cities from growing. Another spice company came out (ship 2. spice 1, spice 2). Another rice came out (ship 3,rice 3). R&D hull player increases to 3. I expanded slots to lvl 3.

Rd 2 - I merged my shipping company and lost the bid, then turned around and merged two other guys rice and spice into a Siap Faji with a winning bid of 225. I acquired a rubber company. R&D went slots lvl 4, turn bid x5, expansion lvl 2, and I went expansion lvl 3.

Era C (as best as I can remember):

Rd 1 - I merged the two rubber companies for a winning min bid. A 2nd Siap Faji merger occurred. Two oil companies came out. Two oil companies researched merger lvl 2. I went expansion lvl 4. Forgetting one.

Rd 2 - My huge production (rice 1/2, Siap Faji 1 from rice3/spice1, rubber 1/2) carried the day with 2x cash on the last turn. R&D Hull sizes expanded to lvl 4 to assist shipping for everyone.

Comments: I believe this game rewards folks that choose the underutilized approach. In this game, everyone got into shipping which made my production companies easier to grow for free. I got ahead on the expansion track giving me more production money for mergers. I never had to protect my early merged companies since the merger level 3 never occured for anyone. I will be interested to see what happens next month if the imbalance shifts to production....

I will ask my friends to fill in some details. Otherwise, what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent points.

Cogent.

Hopefully this will be a series of articles.

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
At first and by the initial glance at your post I thought you were utilizing the two points of brevity and succinctness in your session report, but your post seems to be missing until I quoted it. I read it but could not post my thoughts on it. I hope you do not mind and apologize for any potential indiscretion on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the entire session get deleted somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aha it was the link to boardgameswithscott that blanked it all out. code is sometimes a weird thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason besly
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Special thanks to Scott Nelson for solving the mystery of the great disappearing post. I plan on playing Indonesia with my local game group once a month, so I should be able to add a series of session posts. It fascinates me that the series of James' posts focused on a shipping and merger strategy and I got away with production and mergers.

Has anyone won this game without taking advantage of the R&D merger track? How did you pull it off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely win. The mergers is where the win comes from. I have tried many strategies, and fail each time. The great part of this game is that it plays so differently each time, and you have to make your plan as things go on, era to era. Shipping is nice, but never a winning strategy. You must always have some goods to deliver using your own shipping line to make shipping worthwhile. If you own all the shipping on the entire board you still would not make enough from those nickels coming your way even if your hold is the largest and the cities at 2-3 size. It just doesn't seem to be the way to win, but _can_ help you with your winning strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Rademaker
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My finishing position was third place in this game. As it was our first game, I was focused a bit on trying to ensure that we were following all the rules properly. Whenever I am the primary teacher in a game, no matter how experienced I am with it, and wind up not doing as well as I had hoped, this is my favorite excuse.

Jason's success in our first game came from his vision of potential net worth growth and his recognition of the value of merging and taking over the resulting new company. Well done Jason! My focus in the game was weighted too much toward running my shipping companies efficiently. That will change in our next game.

The beauty of this game to me is the way it's elegant design can force one to be adaptable to the rapidly changing economic situation (thus thwarting most long-term planning) while at the same time not feeling too chaotic. The designers have achieved a great balance in this regard.

For all the complaints I have read about the map and components, we did not have too much trouble. We did use poker chips rather than the supplied money, and there have been other good suggestions about using alternate components if you feel the need.

I loved the game, the 5 1/2 hours flew by. I have not been this enthused about a heavier economic game since 1830 was released 23 years ago. I look forward to exploring the depths of this gem in future sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jabesly73 wrote:
It fascinates me that the series of James' posts focused on a shipping and merger strategy and I got away with production and mergers.

Does this "James" refer to me? If so, cool! Also, I think the winner in our games tended to own production more often, but it always seemed like the shipper was ahead and it may have hurt them, as other players tend to veer away from them.

If not, carry on.

--James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason besly
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 1st of Many Indonesia games - What is the best 1st turn order position in 4er?
I was discussing the importance of Indonesia turn order with a buddy of mine, which leads to this question.

What is the best 1st turn order position in 4er?

It seems like it is best to go last and worst to go first, but if you randomly go first and everyone bids zero during the turn order phase then that is where you will stay.

It seems like you are high and dry on many accounts. 1) Your buddies that choose shipping companies do not have an opporunity to expand before you must ship. 2) More devious opponents will avoid choosing a shipping company near you altogether. 3) You will need to pay to expand if you cannot ship for free.

If you go first and take a shipping company then you probably influence where the next one or two production companies start but will only pick up 5 or 10 rupiah per city.

What do you think?

FYI: Yes, I was referring to James (a.k.a. iceberg1 in a previous post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.