Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Corunea» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions questions - about channelling spells/gifts/afflictions and about items rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a run through of Corunea this afternoon, and I played Hysel Orn, a Defiler.

Firstly, we didn't understand that Gifts/Spells/Afflictions were the same as Items and had to be bought and in your equipment pile at the start of the duel. We figured out that they had Rank, but they are not marked as Items, so we thought at first that they played from your hand. after a while, we reckoned they had to be in your chosen equipment, so we just swapped some stuff out (we were just practising a walk through the rules).

Can you please confirm this is correct? That the allowed Ranks for the adventure includes the spells?

With only a few Ranks to spend, I cannot see how Hysel Orn can use an attack weapon and Spells/Afflictions/Gifts. 1 rank for a Shield, 1 Rank for a Spell, 1 Rank for an Affliction, so at best I get a Dagger? Does this seem correct? Am I meant to not bother with the Shield?

Secondly, we didn't understand the negative Channel amount on the spells, under the Faharn cost. Casting an Affliction (I had Suffering) says the cost is 1 Faharn , but it also says Shadow Channel -20. What is a Shadow Channel? Is it different from a normal Channel? Reading the tutorial, it seems that I should have taken this as a penalty on my Channel Test, but why then is it not just Channel -20? What is the relevance of the Shadow/Chaos/Nature aspect of the Channel? This didn't make sense to us and we could figure it out from the rules book.

Do the colours on the borders of the spell cards make any difference? Do they relate to the damage inflicted? To the type of damage (physical/poison??)?

Thirdly, how do I get Items from my hand into my equipment. I had Bandages in my hand but presumably I couldn't use them (only as a Menace). We reckoned you only played hand cards such as Battlestate or Action. Is that the only function of hand cards and anything else is just clutter to spend as Menace?

If I build a deck, and shuffle it, and complete my hand up to 10, and then use cards from my deck to show my Life and Faharn totals, what if a nice card I want is in those totals? I'll never see it. I know the game is meant to not need pencil and paper, but that's what we used.

Anyway, I didn't last long. Three rounds in and Ondrina did 14 pts critical damage in one strike and I was toast. We want to play again, and I want to get more cards now, so we have full decks.

Cheers,
Jon.

edit : typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya, Jon!

Yes, the fact that all ranked cards can only be selected as "equipment" and that all non-ranked cards can only be played from your hand (except the special ones that go in the starting tableau) really confused me at first.

Don't forget that there are classless weapons and such that Hysel Orn can use. Also, Afflictions are much harsher than Attack Items in general (from what I've seen), so don't worry about wielding a twig as your weapon. A Defiler or Elementalist is armed with her channeling ability, and that's far more dangerous.

Shadow/Earth/whatever on the Channel is only relevant if something makes it so. Those "somethings" tend to be Climate cards that affect, say, Shadow Channels. You're right that it's -20 to your ability percentage for that particular test, though.

The colors on the card borders are visual cues, and that's it. The type of damage inflicted is indicated by the tiny colored icons with the > shape pointing out of them to the right.

You are correct. You never get Items from your hand to your equipment.

That Mahjong "dead wall" notion is part of the design of the game. Yes, your life and faharn displays may include cards you would really rather see in your hand; however, as you lose/spend the life and faharn, those cards get back into your discard - and ultimately your deck. It adds that little bit of uncertainty to how your deck plays out.

Don't fret, Jon: Onindra is brutal if she connects - especially with a triple attack from her double-blades....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.