Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sure seems that way to me. This forum is, after all, established for the purpose of discussing Religion, Sex and Politics.

So why is it that when people who are religious... actually, who are Christians... log on and post good thoughts or positive messages about what is, to them, a special day... atheists can't restrain themselves from snarky, low-bred interjections and school yard taunts?

Are they really, truly nothing more than cowardly, fearful pussy-boys who are so fraught with indecision and personal hang-ups that they compulsively attack anything and everything that goes beyond the scope of their severly limited capacity for tolerance of ideas and beliefs they don't hold?

Or is it just Christians they fear? On other threads atheist pussy-boys are climbing over each other to cry foul at the notion that a Christian wishes them well... or desires they find enlightenment. Do they respond like a tourettes sufferer in real life if they sneeze and someone nearby says 'God bless you"? Yelling out at the well-wisher, "I am not covered in the fantasy blood of your idiotic fairy tale fantasy Christ you stupid, deranged Christian loser!!! I am above your wishes for my physical and emotional health and don't need your fucking God in order to wipe the snot from my nose! Ya dumb hick!"

What about all the Christians who know the atheist pussy-boys and pray for them at night, never telling the prayed for pussy-boy that he is positively in the thoughts of the Christian? And what if an atheist pussy-boy knows Muslims?? My God!!! No doubt there are Muslims out there hoping that Allah shines his benevolent light on them. Or do Muslims get a pass because... well... they are mysterious and definitely NOT Christian.

Shit. Now that I think about it... there are a lot of people for athiests to yell at... Hindu's, New Agers, Wiccans, Satanists and let's not forget scores of Indian tribes around the world who worship a whole panel of Gods.. each of which might want to cover the atheist in metaphorical redeeming blood... or honey, or whatever substance has meaning.

Christ!!!!! You atheists have a lot of work to do. I'd get busy because there is a whole shitload of people blessing you right now and your outrage is needed in order to stop the insanity of good will.

Have a nice Easter folks. This was always my least favorite of the religious observances... the Lutheran Pastor in Cisco, Texas would get pretty worked up and all us kids wanted to do was get to the frickin' egg hunt and baskets. But I guess he meant well for us... no sense blaming him for that eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
So what would that make someone who is afraid of the cowardly, fearful pussy-boys?

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
You or anybody else on this forum can't possibly be dense enough to expect that when someone posts something - could be anything really, let alone religious comment - that snark will ensue. FFS, people get all wound up about secret fucking Santa. Give me a break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
So what would that make someone who is afraid of the cowardly, fearful pussy-boys?

-MMM

Doesn't exist. Pussy-boys are the mat everybody steps on to reach the bottom rung of the ladder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Jews don't try to push their fantasy on us, and Muslims tend to try to kill us instead of convert us to their fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed in my brief sojourn here in RSP land that there is a very large supply of animosity from proponents of any particular stance. You don't have to be a devout atheist to feel that this forum may not be the best place on BGG to expect unmolested expressions of religious holiday fervor/cheer/observance.

I believe that Christ was perhaps the greatest Jew to ever walk the earth (emphasis on "perhaps" merely because I never met the man) and he would be the first to tell all his Christian followers that they were completely out of their frigging minds. I think he actually got up out of his grave to do so, but of course the orbital mind control lasers have completely wiped out his true intent by now. A savior IS coming, but it hasn't been here yet, and mark my words--when that savior shows up it won't be the human race that necessarily gets saved.

Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
You or anybody else on this forum can't possibly be dense enough to expect that when someone posts something - could be anything really, let alone religious comment - that snark will ensue. FFS, people get all wound up about secret fucking Santa. Give me a break.

Van... somewhere along the way you seem to have lost track of your enjoyment of the sublime silliness of things. I'm gonna rename you Captain Serious if you don't just relax and enjoy the ride.

Nice street sign though... here's a rare RSP thumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:

Snark typically ensues but for some reason in RSP it seems to ensue alot more to anti religion than the other way. I'm not sure why some Atheists feel a need to copy what I feel is the worst part about religion, which is self-righteousness and a holier than thou attitude, but I see it more and more.

Perhaps its not a problem with religion but a problem with human nature?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Precisely, Tripp. Certain opinions about Israel are legitimate and honest. Many are couched antisemitism. Likewise, and I'm not sure why, Christians seem to bear the burden of criticism, while all other religions, in particular Islam, get a free pass. I've read that Buddhism is the only religion which has not been the source of a holy war. Evenso, it's religion and ought to provoke similar criticism from atheists.

Aside and over and above my opinion--I am a strong atheist--there are also the notions of culture and society. As a matter of culture, I just spent a couple of wonderful evenings with my family's Passover seders. Having had a religious education I was able to run the seders with near 100% pure orthodoxy. Nevermind that I'm an atheist. At that point, we were celebrating our culture through its rituals and traditions.

With respect to society, during Purim, another Jewish holiday it is customary to give gifts of cake, dried fruit and whatnot. I gave them out to my Jewish neighbours as I did my Muslim neighbour. Similarly, I send out Happy Hannukah cards to all of them, and I happily receive Christmas cards. I make a point to mention, "have an easy fast," during my neighbour's Ramadan observances.

Why? Because, live and let live and toleration of difference.

That having been said, I am still very much pro-majority. It is entirely logical that the median down my boulevard is decorated with Christmas lights. Similarly, closing a transaction at the pharmacy, the pharmacist and I exchanged happy Easter greetings. I don't think either of use were Christian. Canada is predominantly and historically a Christian country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
DW complaining about snarkiness. Now my life is complete.

I agree up to a point.

I also don't like running into churches and shouting "you stupid misguided people", as you put in the other the thread. I find it disrespectful, and although I can understand the urge at times, I have better ways to argue my case.

It's why I tend not to post in those "congregation" threads, and I don't like "just snark" from any direction. Yours, Christians, or atheists. I do wish people would post within the same thread if one is started to wish folk well instead of feeling the urge to start new ones. So it would be akin to "getting together within a church" rather than dousing others with the sensation they are actually in it, simply by being in the RSP lobby. But it is not exceptional behaviour in RSP, so I don't get too upset about that simply because this time it is a handful of Christians that do it. Gay marriage, taxes, science, Obama, they all are hard to contain it seems.

But if there is one obvious thread "on-topic" and people want to start a thread to speak to all, they should not be annoyed when some start to talk back.

As I do have a slightly different attitude when people are leaving church behind and start to send in a lot of buses into my area with huge billboards, not so much with the aim to say hi, but with the firm aim to convert to an ideology that preaches inequality. Right there it becomes my concern, as it will directly affect those around me that I also care for.

I might not pay for a bus to drive the other way, but I will look with bewilderment at the fuss it kicks off when one gets turned around.

I take a totally different approach when people keep banging in my front door with the aim to proselytize. After a while I might just feel the urge to undress before opening and showing myself in all God's gloriousness. And I can report back: God's likeness indeed does wonders.

There is a subtle difference between (only) wishing everyone well with a positive message, and using that message as a way to convert (advertising). As you probably know, there are those that go out with these sort of messages with the sole aim of converting. (Not saying it applies to those who posted here). It is a blurry line, but I am sure those that come here to do so do not need your defence of them. I suspect they would be disappointed if their life wasn't made hard doing "it".

To some, what is happening here will be judged differently. I don't mind giving folk a bit more "unobstructed" airtime a couple of times a year. I wish others would do the same, but then it would be a very boring world if everyone behaved with fairness and respect only. We wouldn't have you for starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
isaacc wrote:
Likewise, and I'm not sure why, Christians seem to bear the burden of criticism, while all other religions, in particular Islam, get a free pass.

You said this a couple of times now.

Maybe, just maybe, and I am going out on a limb here, we are mostly Christians and Atheists here? And, I'm gonna stretch it really thin now, because most of us live in a place where Christianity is by far the biggest religion, and atheists are mostly dealing with the influence of Christian Religion on their lives. Add to that the self-selection of people drawn to a board hosted in the US, in English, for people who enjoy a hobby that is mostly a hobby for people in countries that, when you add up Christians and Atheists, you'd be struggling to see the others at all?

If you want to point out the rather open door that here it is mostly "us talking each other" (from both sides in the debate), and that talk (from both sides) miraculously seems to be aimed at experiences with and opinion of each other, far more than than we talk about others who are hardly present here, and with whom we have little direct contact, (free pass is nonense btw), than well done Isaac, the door is indeed there.

If you want to turn this into an argument to prove that Atheists "have it in for one group in particular" for no good reason, you are a fool for not seeing why.

BTW, every derailment I have tried to start of in the direction of the UK, the NL, Zimbabwe, etc has gone nowhere. Too little interest, too little experiences, too little curiousity, and too little knowledge to make it interesting. A shame, but I've accepted that a long time ago. You need a certain amount of people who are informed enough to keep it interesting, and certainly some people who can argue it "from within" to give it some worth.

We can yap about Islam for all we want, but without some people here who are Muslim and can between them can argue nuances and facts in a way that none of us can, and certainly can't to the extend that we have Christianity and Atheism, and Western History (and the incredible internal diversity and different "expert" readings of all those things) at our our RSP fingertips, most conversations in that direction are so caricature and over-the-top simplifications, that there just isn't much value in having them at all.

Especially not with people who read current stances as "a free pass".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression you were also an atheist? Hell, most everyone who argues anything in RSP, conservative or liberal, seems to be an atheist. I do like the phrase 'back-biting pussy-boy', though.

I vaguely recall a thread where we ripped on Scientology. But, if you want, we could start a series. "Back-biting pussy boy religious rant of the next few days." We could do a tour of all the world's religions and explain what's so ridiculous and absurd about each of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Tripp,

I think it says more about your point of view when you lump all atheists together like that. When I read something written by a Christian and it oozes close-minded bigotry and fake compassion, I don't group that person with all other Christians. Similarly, if I respond negatively to the cloyingly saccharine flavor of the post, I don't expect to be labeled as "Just another Christian-hating, cowardly, back-biting, pussy-boy atheist."

Personally, I think that people who create threads with obviously provocative titles like "Rejoice, He has risen indeed, hallelujah!" are just gluttons for punishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
So why is it that when people who are religious... actually, who are Christians... log on and post good thoughts or positive messages about what is, to them, a special day... atheists can't restrain themselves from snarky, low-bred interjections and school yard taunts?

1) Don't lump us all together.

2) Don't call the kettle black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Coconut wrote:
Personally, I think that people who create threads with obviously provocative titles like "Rejoice, He has risen indeed, hallelujah!" are just gluttons for punishment.

I don't think it's that obvious. If I believed in the Christian God I think that Easter could be an incredible day for me -- the day that I and my family celebrated God's greatest sacrifice. I might well feel that celebrating and sharing this good news was the natural thing to do, even if I knew that many of those hearing my praise would either roll their eyes or even take it as provocation.

Then again, I like to think that I wouldn't follow that up by implying that nonbelievers preferred a world based on death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
People shouldn't post on a public board if they don't want the public to respond.

I would prefer if you complain about maintaining civility you too demonstrating civility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tripp just enjoy pushing buttons. Frankly, who doesn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Latria wrote:
I think Tripp just enjoy pushing buttons. Frankly, who doesn't?

Depends on the button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Coconut wrote:
Tripp,

I think it says more about your point of view when you lump all atheists together like that. When I read something written by a Christian and it oozes close-minded bigotry and fake compassion, I don't group that person with all other Christians. Similarly, if I respond negatively to the cloyingly saccharine flavor of the post, I don't expect to be labeled as "Just another Christian-hating, cowardly, back-biting, pussy-boy atheist."

Interesting... Do you think *I* ooze close-minded bigotry and *fake* compassion?

Honestly he simply got here before me today. I was going to post a thread with exactly that title.

I will forgive your ignorance of current Christian culture but is a very *VERY* cross denominational greeting Christian to Christian. One says to the other during holy week, and especially on Easter Sunday... He is risen, the other replies... He is risen indeed. Hallelujah!! Then you smile, laugh joyously together, hug... what ever you do to share bubbling over joy with the other person.

It is one of my absolute favorite parts about Easter. This ability to share with others of my faith at this time a of year a joyousness that trumps completely all petty doctrinal crap that divides us all year and simply share the wonder of our common foundational base.

It was a message for *us* his fellow believers. Not one to convert or woo non-believers. Read it again. He doesn't even bother to cite the verse from Colossians he quotes. Because we *know it* it is a regular part of many Easter readings. Seriously you think comments that include cryptic references about "old leaven" were really meant to entice or win over new people?

I being a regular here would have known the snark was coming when I posted my message and just ignored it. He being new to this forum and probably simply posting here to follow the BGG rules foolishly took the bait.

But I doubt very much he was trying to "provoke" anybody. He was looking to share his joy with others who already shared his faith. If that makes him a glutton for punishment in your eyes... well whatever.

I certainly am a glutton for the same stuff then, because I am not going to refrain from sharing my joy with the others here who are my kindred spirits in this area just to avoid the ugly intolerance some people seem to need to spew at us at every opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

I certainly am a glutton for the same stuff then, because I am not going to refrain from sharing my joy with the others here who are my kindred spirits in this area just to avoid the ugly intolerance some people seem to need to spew at us at every opportunity.

If you'd rather, I'm sure somebody could be convinced to feed you to a lion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

If you'd rather, I'm sure somebody could be convinced to feed you to a lion.

I can think of worse fates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

Well I certainly hope so, and of course I hope you only ever have to think of them. My point is that if you can't take solace from your faith's progress with respect to religious intolerance since its inception, then you're just not trying. Flipping from the ultimate persecuted minority to one of the major persecuting majorities is a substantial victory condition in the religion game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Well I certainly hope so, and of course I hope you only ever have to think of them. My point is that if you can't take solace from your faith's progress with respect to religious intolerance since its inception, then you're just not trying. Flipping from the ultimate persecuted minority to one of the major persecuting majorities is a substantial victory condition in the religion game.

There are people who suffer, are tortured and even die right now every day in other parts of the world for their Christian faith. I consider myself exceedingly blessed that I do not face that level of persecution here and now for my beliefs.

I do more than take solace... I rejoice that Christ's teachings have for the most part transformed the western culture into one were individual humans have worth and were religious tolerance is expected for the most part across the board. What exactly is your point?

My point was to make clear to Jake that the assumptions he made about Mark's INTENT when he posted the message were just that, unfounded and probably inaccurate assumptions. However if he thinks rudeness is not only justified but literally being ask for if people express openly Christian beliefs here to other Christians on our Holy days... well so be it.

Rudeness certainly is a minor "persecution" in the scheme of life and one easy enough to ignore. However let us not pretend it isn't exactly that, an intolerant persecution directed toward a specific group of people. No more or less offensive than any other verbal intolerant hate spewing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DW, I once heard someone refer to how they handled people that insulted their religion. They said that if someone insulted their beliefs it was the same as a blind man stepping on his foot. Neither one can help it, so there is no reason to be bitter.

Take it easy, DW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talking religion on the internets isn't often my bag, but this discussion reminded me of an essay Roger Ebert wrote a while back. (2003, it turns out...)

These two grafs have stuck with me...

Roger Ebert wrote:
This is really an argument between two kinds of prayer --vertical and horizontal. I don't have the slightest problem with vertical prayer. It is horizontal prayer that frightens me. Vertical prayer is private, directed upward toward heaven. It need not be spoken aloud, because God is a spirit and has no ears. Horizontal prayer must always be audible, because its purpose is not to be heard by God, but to be heard by fellow men standing within earshot.

To choose an example from football, when my team needs a field goal to win and I think, ''Please, dear God, let them make it!'' -- that is vertical prayer. When, before the game, a group of fans joins hands and ''voluntarily'' recites the Lord's Prayer -- that is horizontal prayer. It serves one of two purposes: to encourage me to join them, or to make me feel excluded.

Without taking too strong a stance, I submit that the threads under discussion may fall into the category of 'horizontal prayer.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.