Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, let me say, I like this game. It's quick, fun and distinct. It does not, however, make me feel like the head of a monastery, competing with other abbots to make and collect the best volumes. It's a set collection game. It's a good set collection game. It's not broke, but I'm a theme guy, so here's some ideas.

What if, at the end of the game, the cards you collect can be put together in combinations to make or produce works. So the first round of scoring uses the dice. The second round of scoring involves using your cards to make texts or works. For example, something like two illuminators, along with two supply cards, two scrolls and a two scribe will produce a tome which is equal to two victory points, while one supply, one illuminator and a scribe produce a scroll which is worth one victory point, or something like that. I would be curious to see what other players may think. Yes, I know it's just more set collection, but it would encourage players to not specialize in just a few types of cards, and would, in my mind, make the theme come out and work in the game, while giving more scoring options to add another layer or level to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smidt
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this game is "just" set collection and could work with any theme, but I think it works just fine the way it is. A house rule incorporating your ideas might be interesting to try, but I'm satisfied with the mechanics "as is". I like the game and it's one of my family's favorite card games.
I think I'd probably like it more if it had more distinct primary colors identifying the sets and more attractive artwork, so I'm hoping that when it's redistributed by a bigger publisher that they jazz it up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with smitty. I like the scoring the way it is, and I think trying to collect certain patterns (other than the most of a given set) would add confusion (and perhaps balance issues) that would weaken the game. If you really want more theme, I think you need a very different kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts! I agree, it's a good game that I enjoy, and the "as is" scoring works well. I just wish the theme was more connected to the game or scoring in some way. Put it this way: The theme disconnect in no way makes me not want to play the game. I don't regret getting the game in any way, and I'm not even sure my idea would work, but I may try it out to see as a house rule to see if it does effect the balance of the game or not. I just can't help but think it could be even better than it is if there was a way to "produce" something.

What I'm talking about is kind of like Ticket to Ride Card Game (now that being said, I like S&S better), In TtRCG, there are two layers of scoring, you score for completed tickets and THEN, there are the big city bonuses which gives me something else to think about while I'm picking tickets during the game. It's exactly this two tiered system that I think makes the game more interesting than just completed tickets alone. I also think the TtRCG system is better than the board game, where the longest route winner is usually the winner of the game. By having many bonuses available (just like I suggest in S&S), it keeps the supplemental scoring from unbalancing the game. Just some thoughts. Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As the game's designer, I really like the idea behind this suggestion. I have not yet tried it, but one part of S&S that I was always a little uncomfortable with was the dishing off of cards that became useless. On the other hand, one thing I really like about the game is that someone can win a category, almost as a surprise, because other people have gotten rid of a "losing category." With this variant, people would be inclined to hold onto cards, so this fun element might be lost.

Now, if I ever get the time to play it with the in mind, I will. As it turns out, once I finish with a game, I rarely ever play it again...since I like to play other games and to think up new ones.

Steve
(dr. finn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the reply Dr. Finn! It's a great treat to get to hear from the designer of the games we all love! I'm pleased you think the idea has merit, so I may experiment with it in the future. I'll let you know how (or if) it works out.

I totally see what you mean about winning a category as a surprise. I have seen this happen already in the games my wife and I have played. We tend to dump cards in a low score category when buying gold cards during the auction, and then find at the end of the game that someone won a category with a score of only 3 or 4, and once that swung the game in her favor (so she loved that of course!). Thanks again for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.