Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Amazon removes books dealing with LGBT issues from their best seller lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weak. Not incredibly surprising, but weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Hendrickx
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know that religious folks only read 1 book (over and over again). Gay people on the other hand need to uphold their image as sophisticated cultural beings, hence buy lots of books. Pretty simple choice if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm going to boycott Amazon. This actually feels kinda good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Amazon removes books dealing with LGBT issues from their best seller lists.

That's so gay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lil li
msg tools
mbmb
Some nifty alternatives to Amazon:

http://www.coopamerica.org/pubs/greenpages/results.cfm?categ...

And don't forget that the friendly neighborhood book sellers are in similar or worse straights (oops -- pun) than the FLGS. Also, lots o' local stores have new and used books, used books that don't have to be shipped to you, kinder to the earth.

Also, most presses that really support GLBT issues -- like Naiad Press (the oldest lesbian press in the country) -- keep their books affordable, and big publishing houses won't be hurt by your purchase of used books.

One more thing, local, private book stores are fantastically important purveyors of information that may be hard or impossible to come across otherwise, not just in books but in the connections that can be made to the community when you are there, not only f2f with others who are there with you, but through community bulletin boards and stuff.

OH, and every cool bumper sticker I ever owned we purchased at a private local bookstore or record music store.

Happy shopping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Amazon is now saying it was simply a "glitch".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Amazon is now saying it was simply a "glitch".

It is a possibility, given they are quite oblivious to other "touchy" subjects. I certainly hope so. I'll check in a month or so before deciding if I am still a client or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand it from a business perspective. It'd have nothing to do with discrimination.

Why does Amazon put a best selling list in there? It's not to be a fair ranking of popularity, but a crude automatically generated advertising. Items in the top sales list in regular books have a relatively wide audience, and typically appeal to a lot of different people. If I want to buy a book for a trip, but I have no idea of what to buy, chances are that I'd find something in their top 20 enticing.

If the presence LGBT books in the rankings list does not produce a feedback effect similar to the one we get when the next Dan Brown book gets a high ranking, it makes some sense to move them away from the general list, just from the point of view of improving sales. But, from the same perspective, one should also remove other categories from the list, like technical books that only appeal to professionals, and that still shoot up in the rankings. It's not all that different from the creation of a new category of books just to avoid having the Harry Potter series claim the top of the best selling rankings, not letting anything else be seen.

But I'd not claim that a delisting like that, if it was intentional and not a 'glitch', was done for one reason or another. They could still be homophobes, instead of money-loving executives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Can anyone think of a LGBT book that 'should' be in the top 10 right now?

I mean, David Gerrold hasn't finished the next War Against the Chtorr novel, or otherwise that would HAVE to be there.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

I mean, David Gerrold hasn't finished the next War Against the Chtorr novel, or otherwise that would HAVE to be there.

Darilian

He is really killing me with how long he is taking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Well, he did adopt a young boy from a foster home, and that's been his number one priority in his life. So its not like I can be MAD-...

No Nerd Rage here. I honestly hope he gets to the point where he WANTS to finish those books, but as a person, he's kind of a role model for me.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Well, he did adopt a young boy from a foster home, and that's been his number one priority in his life. So its not like I can be MAD-...

No Nerd Rage here. I honestly hope he gets to the point where he WANTS to finish those books, but as a person, he's kind of a role model for me.

Darilian

He posts on The Caption Game at Edgecurve alot.
http://www.edgecurve.com/captiongame/

I understand he is a busy man, but when I hear he has a bunch of text written already, it makes me antsy. I have been a Chtorr fan from when I read the pre-release first chapter of 'A Matter For Men' when it was printed in 'Heavy Metal' back in the 80's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Bullshit. Good authors are supposed to have enough sex to keep themselves energized but have no business becoming parents unless it can be demonstrated that they tend to raise future good authors. Otherwise I'm going to have to go reread Honor Harrington, and I know you don't want that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Imagine what would happen to Gerrold's "The Man Who Folded Himself" if it came out today. That book sure bent some ideas about sexuality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Imagine what would happen to Gerrold's "The Man Who Folded Himself" if it came out today. That book sure bent some ideas about sexuality.

If you want to mix time travel and sex, then check out Baker's Fermata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
pronoblem wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

If you want to mix time travel and sex, then check out Baker's Fermata.

I've read that....Gerrold's book is even WIERDER.

But I'm not going to spoil it. Read it for yourself, then re-read it.

Its a real pleasure to read- love that book.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Amazon wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Amazon.com.

This is an embarrassing and ham-fisted cataloging error for a company that prides itself on offering complete selection.

It has been misreported that the issue was limited to Gay & Lesbian themed titles - in fact, it impacted 57,310 books in a number of broad categories such as Health, Mind & Body, Reproductive & Sexual Medicine, and Erotica. This problem impacted books not just in the United States but globally. It affected not just sales rank but also had the effect of removing the books from Amazon's main product search.

Many books have now been fixed and we're in the process of fixing the remainder as quickly as possible, and we intend to implement new measures to make this kind of accident less likely to occur in the future.

Thanks for contacting us. We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://consumerist.com/5210378/amazon-gay-book-removal-was-m...

It may have been this jerkass. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I have been a Chtorr fan from when I read the pre-release first chapter of 'A Matter For Men' when it was printed in 'Heavy Metal' back in the 80's.

I thought this was about the worst SF I've ever tried to read. I'm sure it just went over my head. Can you translate in a few words what it's supposed to be saying? The whole story is obviously some sort of complex metaphor, but for what I have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
I have been a Chtorr fan from when I read the pre-release first chapter of 'A Matter For Men' when it was printed in 'Heavy Metal' back in the 80's.

I thought this was about the worst SF I've ever tried to read. I'm sure it just went over my head. Can you translate in a few words what it's supposed to be saying? The whole story is obviously some sort of complex metaphor, but for what I have no idea.

Well, its hard to say what the series is suppossed to be ABOUT because its not done yet, but that said.....

The first two books A Matter for Men [Day for Damnation[/i] are about Gerrold's wierd conception of libertarianism- and individual responsibility.

The third book Rage for Revenge is about Service. As the War Against the Chtorr gets worse, its an attempt to square libertarianism with the demands of the survival of the species. (Kind of).

The last book Season for Slaughter starts to set up an alternative point of view- the alternative to the idea of the human being as having individual worth is the idea of the 'Whole' being more important than the individual. Again, kind of.

Its also a discussion of how human beings behave in survival situations- which is, without appropriate training, usually POORLY.

And that doesn't even go into Mode-ism.....

The first book is pretty didactic in its support of his own wierd ideas of libertarianism. You either appreciate it, or not.

Thats as short as I can get.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

It is the standard libertarian SF beloved of suburban teenagers. "Masturbatory power fantasy for the delectation of wimpish nerds", as Norman Spinrad describes the subgenre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
sbszine wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

It is the standard libertarian SF beloved of suburban teenagers. "Masturbatory power fantasy for the delectation of wimpish nerds", as Norman Spinrad describes the subgenre.

You're so wrong, but thats a great quote, so a thumb for you. thumbsup

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a gent in the face of my snobbery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
You are a gent in the face of my snobbery.
If you and Norman Spinrad are correct, I wouldn't eat right after handling that thumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.