Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: GeekGold for Thumbs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not provide GeekGold for thumb count?

My understanding is that GeekGold is an incentive for users to contribute to the site, rather than just bleed bandwidth from it.

With that in mind, why not offer gold to posters who accumulate thumbs? Thumbs are an indication that a user has contributed something meaningful to the site -- in the form of a useful article or an entertaining comment that others found helpful or funny. Why not reward these contributions? Granted, many contributions are currently rewarded, such as photos, session reports, and reviews. But highly thumbed comments are just as useful. Why not reward them with the appropriate level of appreciation?

The change doesn't have to be retroactive. Just pick a date where thumbs start having additional meaning. I think that overall it will improve the site by encouraging meaningful posts.




13 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I think that overall it will improve the site by encouraging meaningful posts.


Or just encourage a mutual thumbsup society where the thumbsup are just given out to your mates in reciprocation for you giving them thumbsup

In short no meaningful contribution and a lot of thumbsup

A nice idea, but in my opinion not a practical one.
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of this guy here:
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb


With his very popular Geek Madness Tournament, he has gotten at least 38,000 thumbs from that. How is this system going to deal with that?

It sounds good, but then I would be forced to spend all my time in chitchat or post Agricola fimo people to get extra gold. You don't get lots of thumbs for the obscure games.

But I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
fine then! GIVE me HIS that he'd have obtained in this "demeanor", as I'm not 'picky'! blush
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've earned thousands of thumbs by way of thumbing myself with sock puppet accounts. When thumbs are rewarded with GeekGold I will double my efforts.
38 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
15 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, I'm talking about a very lopsided ratio here, like 1GG for several hundred thumbs. Good point about the chit-chat forums though. Perhaps chit-chat and RSP can be excluded from the gain, since they're by definition not gaming-related.

I dunno ... I was just reviewing some older threads, and noticed that every once in a while there's a killer post that gathers a frack-ton of thumbs for being insightful and useful, but since it wasn't submitted as an "official" review/session/image it doesn't get the GG love from the system.

Thumbs are a good indication that a post was meaningful to folks, but yeah I guess there's a difference between a "haha that was funny" thumb and a "damn, that was really useful" thumb -- and there's no reasonable way for an automated system to tell the difference.

Alas.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Thumbs are an indication that a user has contributed something meaningful to the site


They are? Wow... I thought they were awarded based on how many times you say bacon. Yeah... really meaningful. shake
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
cbs42 wrote:
Thumbs are an indication that a user has contributed something meaningful to the site


They are? Wow... I thought they were awarded based on how many times you say bacon. Yeah... really meaningful. shake


The value of thumbs, for sure, is dependent where they came from. If in Chit Chat or RSP, they are meaningless.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
If in Chit Chat or RSP, they are meaningless.


And geeklists too. Nothing more useless than "Boxes you can fit your cat in". Or, look at how I can make a blank geeklist.

And photo's. Nothing more useless than 1000 thumbs for a picture of girl playing Agricola in a low cut bra..

Wow, we are running out of things to thumb that are subjectively worth while.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
* sigh *

I'm going back to bed.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice idea, but there's already a mechanism for awarding especially good forum posts - geek gold tipping. Lots of the better or funnier posts have been awarded tips from the generous users around here.
11 
 Thumb up
1.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
almo1705 wrote:
A nice idea, but there's already a mechanism for awarding especially good forum posts - geek gold tipping. Lots of the better or funnier posts have been awarded tips from the generous users around here.

Well true, but if those are sufficient then why have system-awarded GG for images, reviews, and such?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GG is about useless as I see it (the way it is now). It's too difficult to get to be much of an incentive.

Take me for instance; I participate on the site, visit and create threads/responses in the forums (game-specific and otherwise), buy things in the marketplace, am a 2008 sponsor to the site, geekmod images and such, and yet, now 6 months or so after joining, I still can't even afford an avatar or other badges! (which most other forums just offer/have, without requiring participation in a token economy to get).

I just don't see the point, really, when it takes a person a year or more to get enough GG to even fill out their profile.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdoherty wrote:
GG is about useless as I see it (the way it is now). It's too difficult to get to be much of an incentive.

Take me for instance; I participate on the site, visit and create threads/responses in the forums (game-specific and otherwise), buy things in the marketplace, am a 2008 sponsor to the site, geekmod images and such, and yet, now 6 months or so after joining, I still can't even afford an avatar or other badges! (which most other forums just offer/have, without requiring participation in a token economy to get).

I just don't see the point, really, when it takes a person a year or more to get enough GG to even fill out their profile.

You can buy cash with geekgold, sure it's not a 1-to-1 ratio, but it still has some value. As for your difficulty in aquiring geekgold, try submitting more content that gets system-awarded geekgold. I'm not trying to devalue your forum replies, game article replies, or geeklist comments, but all of those items rely on the random generosity of other users. If you want guaranteed geekgold income you have to submit more than 2 items that are eligible for geekgold from the modders.


Back to the original premise of this thread: I think about once a year (or perhaps more) someone suggests the idea of geekgold for thumbs. Now, I think that thumbs have a great value. Usually they can point you towards threads, geeklists, images, etc. that are better in quality (either useful or entertaining quality.) However I do not think they should have any geekgold reward. Since it doesn't cost the thumber anything to dole out thumbs there is no way of stopping someone from "gaming the system." Jarred had a great example with the sock puppet accounts, but there is also the thumb-begging threads, thumb-voting geeklists (that I once organized as well,) and other random nonsense. I think most people who create the better than average reviews, threads, etc. don't really do it for the geekgold anyways.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I propose only updating the thumb count every six months or so, so people don't obsess on it.


Apparently all the thumbs you have gotten for this post just haven't updated yet.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
I'm not trying to devalue your forum replies, game article replies, or geeklist comments, but all of those items rely on the random generosity of other users. If you want guaranteed geekgold income you have to submit more than 2 items that are eligible for geekgold from the modders.

See, that's the thing I was viewing as a problem with the current system. Forum discussions can have great value -- and in many cases they have more value than a bazillionth picture of someone's hand-painted M'44 tanks. Yet the latter gets dutifully and blindly rewarded by the system.

Apparently I'm one of the very few who think it's a problem though.

Maybe thumbs aren't the way to address it. That was just the most obvious thing that came to mind when I started thinking about the issue though. Oh well. The system is what it is, I guess.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the title of this thread and thought that Chris was offering GG in exchange for thumbs. I don't think anyone wants golden meeples that badly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meaningful content can now be rewarded by submitting it for moderation. Perhaps people other than the author should be able to submit an already-posted post or even a forum reply once into the moderation system if they think it's of exceptional value.

The thumbs into gold idea comes up regularly. It seems like a good idea. However the consensus is--and I know this will shock you terribly--that people would--how should I put it?--game the system. It is deeply disturbing that such a thing might happen on BoardGameGeek, but there you are.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Blott wrote:
I'm not trying to devalue your forum replies, game article replies, or geeklist comments, but all of those items rely on the random generosity of other users. If you want guaranteed geekgold income you have to submit more than 2 items that are eligible for geekgold from the modders.

See, that's the thing I was viewing as a problem with the current system. Forum discussions can have great value -- and in many cases they have more value than a bazillionth picture of someone's hand-painted M'44 tanks. Yet the latter gets dutifully and blindly rewarded by the system.

Apparently I'm one of the very few who think it's a problem though.

Maybe thumbs aren't the way to address it. That was just the most obvious thing that came to mind when I started thinking about the issue though. Oh well. The system is what it is, I guess.

Here's the thing...the reason you get the bazillionth picture of someone's hand-painted M'44 tanks is because there is an incentive built into the system. The reason you can get very valuable content in the forum discussions is because there is no incentive built into the system. I know that sounds backwards, but right now the people who are answering questions or discussing strategies or solving rules discrepancies are doing it for nothing more than love of the game and a desire to be helpful. When you start rewarding that you will have to sift through the posers* (looking for geekgold) from the helpers.

*Note: I am not implying that anyone that has submitted images is a poser, particularly those who have submitted images of painted M'44 tanks. I was merely using the example I was handed.
22 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
The reason you can get very valuable content in the forum discussions is because there is no incentive built into the system. I know that sounds backwards, but right now the people who are answering questions or discussing strategies or solving rules discrepancies are doing it for nothing more than love of the game and a desire to be helpful. When you start rewarding that you will have to sift through the posers (looking for geekgold) from the helpers.


A very good point.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs are their own reward. No geekgold needed.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten plenty of geek gold from forum posts. You just rely on other users to hand it out. It's like the accounting world of geek gold. I don't add any more to the pot, but I leach some off because of the value I give to the community.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

And photo's. Nothing more useless than 1000 thumbs for a picture of girl playing Agricola in a low cut bra..

Chapel;

Links, damn it. Links! devil

edit: I even get typos in emoticons!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I don;t even really know or for that matter care what GG is for other than Avatars and Game icons. Sure icons would be cool to show a few of your favorite games at a glance to help find Geekbuddies but who really cares beyond that? I just need to figure out who you have to blow around here to earn enough GG for a stinking Avatar.

And I'm with Moshe. Where are the links to the chicks n low cut bra playing Agricola. While I'm sick to death of seeing yet another stinking picture of that game on the home page but with a little window dressing I could maybe look at one more.

Kraken Fan #69

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.