Lucian Pleianu
Romania
Cluj Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Being relatively new to the Board Games community, I might get a bit of help on the following topic. Looking for China, I see it is harder and harder to find the game available online as the producer doesn't print it anymore - I have found it in the end - and that raised the following question in my mind.

Do any of you know similar games that are out of print/out of stock for a while now - say 1,2 years - and are harder and harder to get, or games that will be dropped by the producer in the future? As I got the "Board Games Addiction Virus" only a while ago, I wouldn't want to miss any of the good games which might be discontinued or that has been out of print for a while, but could be still found on the market.

Thanks alot! And in case I have raised the topic in the wrong section, sorry and please feel free to move it to the correct one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part, all games go through this. A lot of it varies from publisher to publisher and can depend on the game. Very few games are constantly being printed. Many end up getting reprinted, but not always. Certain games that sell consistently will almost always be available, like Puerto Rico. Occasionally there are notices on publisher websites and on here when a game is almost out of stock. Your best bet is to grab a game you know you want when you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry too much about missing out on a game that's about to go out of print. It's better to get a game you think you'll like, rather than one you're not sure of but is about to be discontinued.
If you find later that a game you want is out of print, you can usually still get hold of a copy somehow (trades on BGG, ebay etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also go with ebay. Even if it is out of print, chances are someone is selling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
Don't worry too much about missing out on a game that's about to go out of print. It's better to get a game you think you'll like, rather than one you're not sure of but is about to be discontinued.
If you find later that a game you want is out of print, you can usually still get hold of a copy somehow (trades on BGG, ebay etc.)

Laurence is right. Hundreds of games get published every year, and there's always some games going out of print. There are always good games available, so if you miss a game that's just become hard to find, there's always something else good that's in print.

Of course, it can be kind of fun to track down a hard-to-find game, but you will know better than we what games you'll really want to put the effort into getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucian Pleianu
Romania
Cluj Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strope wrote:
Your best bet is to grab a game you know you want when you can.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I was in this exact spot, to be honest, when the question came up. I was having a few games to choose from, with China being one of them; of course, as I started playing and collecting BG for a short period of time now, I don't have that many games myself and the possible games to choose from when buying is wide.

For example, if I would have to choose between (just for the power of example, not that this was the actual list) Agricola, Power Grid, China, Race for the Galaxy and Thebes, with pro's for each game, the fact that the game is discontinued and will be a bit harder to find when time goes by would probably be the "tie-breaker" and I would go for China first. As the other ones I would probably still get easily at any time.

I think what would help me, and other users looking to build their collection of board games, would be like a list of "out of print, good games" you would like. I know such a list is subjective and that's how it should be - cause at the end, it would still be my choice if the factor "game is out of print" weights more than "I wanna have this game which is still being printed".

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bappert
United States
Woodstock
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does stink, I really want mystery rummy jack the ripper and al capone but they are out of print and very expensive. I can get jack for 40 - 60 dollars but I wont because I fear they will reprint it and my 50 doolars game is worth 8 dollars lol theese things can be as volatile as the stock market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
karlgaming wrote:
It does stink, I really want mystery rummy jack the ripper and al capone but they are out of print and very expensive. I can get jack for 40 - 60 dollars but I wont because I fear they will reprint it and my 50 doolars game is worth 8 dollars lol theese things can be as volatile as the stock market.

I was lucky ... I found Jack the Ripper and Jekyll & Hyde, and Goa, in stock at a UK Game Store. We have enjoyed the Mystery Rummy games a lot since buying them - well worth it. Because they were so good, we also bought Bonnie and Clyde ... and again, that has been fun.

What I am reeeeallly looking for now is Groo !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.