Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving things on your farm? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Daybell
United States
California
flag msg tools
Is it permitted to move things around on your farm once they are built? I.e. fields, huts, fences? I assume that it is not permitted, but I cannot find anything in the rules which expressly forbids this.

Can anyone point to a specific provision in the rules which forbids moving things (other than animals) around on your farm?

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brooks
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, seems to be mostly implied, but here's this from the official rules:

Quote:
The Fences action allows a player to immediately Fence pastures at a cost of 1 Wood
for each fence. Fences border the pastures and are laid between the farmyard spaces;
one fence may border more than one pasture. Like rooms and fields, all of a player’s
pastures must be orthogonally adjacent. Fences may only be built if they will create a fully
enclosed pasture, with fences on all sides. The edge of the farmyard board, stables, fields
and rooms do not count as fences. Each player may build at most 15 fences. Fields and
rooms may not be completely surrounded with a fence. Fences may not be demolished
once they have been built. If a player has already built pastures, any new pastures must
border the existing ones.
You may subdivide an existing pasture by adding a fence or
fences (see example in the Appendix, section 1.2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's where a game's theme can help you interpret the rules. When was the last time you heard of someone "moving" their plowed field? Or perhaps if you ran out of space in your backyard you might consider lifting up the house and moving it 20 feet forward? Common sense, people.

Also, a good rule of thumb is, if the rules don't explicitly allow you to do something, you can't do it. Do the rules say you can trade stuff? No? Then you can't. Same goes for moving stuff around after you've built it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it *would* be possible in real life to fence for animals formerly plowed land, or to plow former pastures, or to extend a home on such lands. The first two even make some sense in the longer term as 'rotation', to switch the consumption and addition of soil nutrients.

Nowadays pasture land is almost only the land too depleted, or sloped etc. to make good cropland. But the empty Agricola board treats all 15 spaces similarly.

Also, the scale of surfaces is quite a bit 'metaphoric'... I understand a plowed field may be an "acre" (historically, the area plowed in one day of hard work) but surely an extra room takes less than that !!

So, I understand land use in the game of Agricola is irreversible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once its down its down. No moving anything but animals.

On a side note, consider that you get points for different configurations, such as fenced sheds and number of pastures. If you could rearrange things, everyone would just rearrange things at the end. Or if they had sheep and then got pigs they would just divide the field, what to do with extra fences on the board?

Once its down its down. No moving anything but animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a card in the Z-deck called Dozing Bull that allows you to rearrange your placed fences. The existence of this card also implies that fences cannot be moved. There are other cards in the various decks that award certain things to you for having your board arranged a certain way.

None of these cards make sense if you can rearrange your board freely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Valeta
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules also expressly state that:

"[Stables] may be placed on any space in the farmyard that does
not already contain a room or a field, and may not be removed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
. . consider lifting up the house and moving it 20 feet forward? Common sense, people..

[
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
^ Well played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatetwister64 wrote:
QBert80 wrote:
. . consider lifting up the house and moving it 20 feet forward? Common sense, people..

[

Haha...well the game does take place in the 17th century. I'm pretty sure the 18-wheeler came after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Olson
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Quote:
Haha...well the game does take place in the 17th century. I'm pretty sure the 18-wheeler came after that.

But the houses were pretty easy to disassemble and move (or just build a new one). No need to worry about zoning laws, or sewer and electrical connections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carlj wrote:
But the houses were pretty easy to disassemble and move (or just build a new one). No need to worry about zoning laws, or sewer and electrical connections.

Okay...well maybe it would be thematic to be able to move your house in Agricola. I'll have to fall back on my "if the rules don't explicitly allow it, you can't do it" reasoning. Same reason you can't move your people from palace to palace in Year of the Dragon. It doesn't say one way or the other in the rulebook, so you can't do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.