12 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Novice player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudolf de Jong
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Although I am much interested in a game like Case Blue, I am afraid it will be over my head.
Any recommendations for a similar game for a novice player to get to know the ropes of this kind of games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you a bit better define what "this kind of game" is? Are you interested in wargames in general or in "big/monster wargames" in particular?

(If the latter, good luck! It's like learning to swim by just jumping into the pool and flailing around. Possible, but hard...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Houben
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rudolf,

In the OCS-series of MMP there are less complex games like Tunisia and Burma. If you have some experience with these games, you should be better prepared to deal with a monster like Case Blue. Not that these games are simple, though. Depending on your experience with wargames it could be smart to start with one of the SCS-games of MMP, like Afrika. These are far less rule heavy then the OCS-games, but still teach you some usefull basic principles.

Have fun!

Noël

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutchy wrote:
Although I am much interested in a game like Case Blue, I am afraid it will be over my head.
Any recommendations for a similar game for a novice player to get to know the ropes of this kind of games?

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39241
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start off with the some SCS games, that should give you a solid base to move up to any of the OCS games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
knoel wrote:
Hi Rudolf,

In the OCS-series of MMP there are less complex games like Tunisia and Burma... Depending on your experience with wargames it could be smart to start with one of the SCS-games of MMP, like Afrika.

Have fun!

Noël

Hi Rudolf,

questions like yours appear here on the Geek often enough. And I'm not sure how to answer them simply.

First I agree with Noel about SCS-Games, especially Afrika or (a bit deeper) Stalingrad Pocket II.

But beside asking: Is this game over my head - ask yourself how much you are willing to devote time and effort in learning such a game. Even Case Blue (which is beside a huge monster a collection of "smaller" monsters) can be learned by someone who is devoted enough to such a task and not completely ignorant to wargame - concepts per se. Also you should keep in mind that IF this game goes OOP it is highly possible you'll never see a reprint again.

Given this I would also rec Tunisia or Burma. But be aware that Burma plays completely different than the other titles since supply is much more stressed in this Theater of War than in the other OCS games (which are also highly supply - related). You might look at the Px OCS game called Baltic Gap over at MMPs webside which might be better as a starting position or Guderian's Blitzkrieg II. Still OCS is much more demanding than the usual starting games. But it is worth every effort put into the system.

Mostly Noel's last sentence is the best one can consider: Have FUN.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf de Jong
Netherlands
flag msg tools
To all,

Thanks a lot for your replies, it has become clear to me where to start.
I will start with a few SCS games like Afrika,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am going to offer slightly different advice. There is a healthy secondary market for a game like Case Blue, and there is a great resource for advice, rules questions, etc right here. In light of that, don't fear and jump right in. Get Case Blue and give yourself plenty of time to learn it. If you have questions, ask on BGG's Case Blue game forums. Keep in mind that Case Blue will be daunting, and you may not understand what is going on the first few times you read the rule book. That is okay and normal.

If you don't end up liking it, sell it or trade it. I would be willing to bet that you will end up getting it figured out and end up liking it a lot. Then again, I don't really play many World War 2 games, so I don't really know about Case Blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf de Jong
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Bought yesterday Afrika SCS in the USA, will be delivered to me soon. I will have a try and see how this game is working, if I like it I will move up to the monster games. Thanks for all the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf de Jong
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Dear all,

Thanks for all the advice.
Have been playing Africa SCS since and enjoyed it a lot.
Got even some friends and brothers involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Houben
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear that you have such fun with the game. And it's extra great that your friends and family share your enthusiasm. Good luck with your further wargame exploits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is indeed fantastic to hear you are enjoying the wargames you thought you would like so much. This vindicates, for me, an opinion I have long expressed, that people who are interested in complex and detailed simulation wargames, should not be steered away from these at first and into the lighter and simpler games. Given the interest, many people can grasp even the most complex wargames, with some effort spent to learn the rules and the history being simulated, and some reaching out and asking questions of those who are already familiar with the game.

And if the game does turn out to be too complex, one can always go try one of the simpler ones. But start too simple and gamey, and the interest in wargames might never be kindled. For me, I find I can really only enjoy a simpler and more abstract wargame on a subject once I have played the more complex ones, and can see everything the abstraction is trying to simulate in less detail. In an extreme example, I really like 'Friedrich'--but I do not think I would have liked it much had it been the first Seven Years War game I had ever played. It was knowledge of how the campaigns tended to play out, the incredible difficulty of moving a large army in that time period, that let me appreciate the subtle elegance of what 'Friedrich' was able to immerse players in, without the complexity and length.

So ultimately, I hope you can find people who want to play 'Case Blue' with you! I would actually like to try that one someday myself, but then, there are a lot of wargames I really like....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.