Popular Tags: [View All]
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scene setting

This was the first time we'd tried Battlestar with six of us. Four had played before so after a quick run through we were playing with:

Admiral Adama
President Roslin
Gaius Balter
Lee Adama
Chief Tyrol
Starbuck

So 2 cylons are definitely going to appear in game and then whatever effect the sympathiser has is yet to come.

The game

With two pilots and some good team work we were seeing the cylons off well and crisis cards were being dealt with well. We'd lost some resources and gained some others, but overall we were in a good position.

A few crisis cards later and people begin to think despite our good going we may have a cylon amongst us - the president was refusing to go to sickbay and would rather we pay 1 food to keep her out. Arguments of needing her cards, that it's a pain to get back to her ship, that she was next and didn't want to lose cards were all used. As it was the current players choice she decided to sacrifice the food to stay out - not a good choice for the humans so suspicions were raised.

A lot of accusations started flying when some skill checks suddenly failed, this time with the admiral wanting to stay out of sickbay and losing resources. Baltar was suspected for nothing more than having been a cylon in the last two games...

By now we'd managed to stave off all the crisis cards and were in blue for all resources and about to make a jump for the 4th point. The admiral chooses a destination and the fuel dips into the dangerous red.

New loyalty cards

New loyalty cards are dealt out and Baltar reveals he's a sympathiser. Due to the fuel now being red he's only brigged and not a new cylon, but there are now definitely two amongst us.

At this stage Starbuck and Lee are pretty convinced both are human and suspicious of everyone else. Baltar offers to cylon check the president if someone breaks him out of the brig as the president is still playing suspiciously. With various intentions being analysed it brings suspicion down to the admiral, president and chief.

The chief has never done anything especially bad but a few random blue cards have ended up in vital skill checks causing us to fail. The president has just made a bad call that see's the battlestar damaged rather than risk a jump at -1 population (pop is still at maximum at this point) and the admiral has just sacrificed morale to keep hold of his nukes.

Baltar is promised a pardon if he checks the president, but before his breakout the admiral reveals he's a cylon (a shock to Lee that his dad's a toaster!) and he's dispatched to the resurrection ship. Despite sabotage Baltar is released and promptly cylon detects the president - who's a human through and through... just an inept leader!

Suspicion is now deeply felt towards the chief but he keeps helping us pass vital checks, we make a guess that maybe the admiral was a double cylon and we rip through the crisis cards, but we're running low on fuel.

End play
The now cylon admiral decides not to play his super crisis and the humans are just 2 distance from Kobol, but with only two fuel on board...

We pull the ftl leaver at -3 population as we have the people to spare and make the roll for them to survive anyway. Admiral Lee is now left with the choice of cards and everyone hoping he hasn't played a blinder as a cylon to scupper us at the last moment.

To much relief he has a 2 distance for 1 fuel and the human race survives and the cylons are left in our wake...

Wrapping up
So as game pieces are put away and we begin to argue about what to play next, the inevitable question is who was the last cylon?

Chief reveals it was him all along and he'd decided to play as a human unless the skill check crippled fuel in which case he'd make sure we failed it. The admiral hurls abuse and board game pieces at him that he could have done with some support and was playing 1 v 5. To the chiefs credit the humans could have lost on fuel but as all the other dials were in blue still we were fairly happy.

Talking about the game afterwards we all enjoyed it and the new players were wanting to play again another day. We just learnt two important things

- don't think just because someone does something bad to the humans they are necessarily a cylon, they may be inept
- Baltar isn't always a cylon, just usually. Btw I was Baltar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun.

Although it doesn't sound like it would have been a big problem, shouldn't you have had it jump again once you reached distance 8 to win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karrdedg wrote:
Scene setting
Admiral Adama
President Roslin
Gaius Balter
Lee Adama
Chief Tyrol
Starbuck

If this was the order of play/choosing characters, then you made an error.

Baltar couldn't be picked 3rd because he's political. 3rd person needed to pick Tyrol or a pilot.

The mix is acceptable, the order is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, why did you pack up the game after a jump-choice? The last jump is TO KOBOL and takes no fuel.

If you had only just crossed a jump distance of 8, you had one final jump to make and a lot can happen in that final trek through space (like super crisis cards and some really horribly failed checks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Folmar II
United States
broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karrdedg wrote:
- don't think just because someone does something bad to the humans they are necessarily a cylon, they may be inept

Different game, Shadows over Camelot, where I was King Arthur, called a traitor for some move I made earlier, but I was loyal. And I quote (myself):

"See, I'm not a traitor, I'm just incompetent."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brace yourself for a long analysis...:D

Karrdedg wrote:
A few crisis cards later and people begin to think despite our good going we may have a cylon amongst us - the president was refusing to go to sickbay and would rather we pay 1 food to keep her out.

Not sure what your food was like at this point, but Roslin's argument could be sound if food was in good shape. Of course, it is always hard to trust the president, because they have the power of the Quorum to potentially abuse if Cylon.

Quote:
...Arguments of needing her cards, that it's a pain to get back to her ship, that she was next and didn't want to lose cards were all used. As it was the current players choice she decided to sacrifice the food to stay out - not a good choice for the humans so suspicions were raised.

This might be a misunderstanding but... if it was her (Roslin's) turn next, how could she have been the one making the choice on the last persons Crisis? :) And I take back what I said about taking the hit on food vs Going to sick bay. I believe a Human will take the hit to their hand/sick bay, and hope they get XO'ed out (unless there are more pressing things on the board).

Quote:
A lot of accusations started flying when some skill checks suddenly failed, this time with the admiral wanting to stay out of sickbay and losing resources. Baltar was suspected for nothing more than having been a cylon in the last two games...

Well it's nice to see his Drawback actually functioning as a drawback for once... :)

Quote:
By now we'd managed to stave off all the crisis cards and were in blue for all resources and about to make a jump for the 4th point. The admiral chooses a destination and the fuel dips into the dangerous red.

So... Your jump that pushed you into sleeper phase got you to 4 distance? How many jumps did this take... :) I read your post already so maybe this is hindsight 20/20, but any Admiral that gets you into the Sleeper phase at 4 distance is either a Cylon, or just a bad admiral ^_^

Quote:
New loyalty cards
New loyalty cards are dealt out and Baltar reveals he's a sympathiser. Due to the fuel now being red he's only brigged and not a new cylon, but there are now definitely two amongst us.

Quote:
At this stage Starbuck and Lee are pretty convinced both are human and suspicious of everyone else. Baltar offers to cylon check the president if someone breaks him out of the brig as the president is still playing suspiciously. With various intentions being analysed it brings suspicion down to the admiral, president and chief.

As far as you can tell,. how did Starbuck and Lee achieve this trust in eachother? Just by being proactive vocal proponents of good strategy? In other words, neither of their loyalty cards were examined by anyone, were they?

Quote:
The chief has never done anything especially bad but a few random blue cards have ended up in vital skill checks causing us to fail. The president has just made a bad call that see's the battlestar damaged rather than risk a jump at -1 population (pop is still at maximum at this point) and the admiral has just sacrificed morale to keep hold of his nukes.

It's rough when your president acts so convincingly like a Cylon. This is my gripe with "Play Selfish before Sleeper"; It makes it hard to out the Cylons early because, frankly anyone playing selfishly looks like a Cylon to me :)

Quote:
So as game pieces are put away and we begin to argue about what to play next, the inevitable question is who was the last cylon?
Chief reveals it was him all along and he'd decided to play as a human unless the skill check crippled fuel in which case he'd make sure we failed it. The admiral hurls abuse and board game pieces at him that he could have done with some support and was playing 1 v 5. To the chiefs credit the humans could have lost on fuel but as all the other dials were in blue still we were fairly happy.

I've seen this happen before, where an revealed cylon gets upset because their partner in crime stays hidden, but honestly, one Revealed, and one Concealed is a great way to play it. If anything maybe Adama should have gone to the human fleet location, he might have damaged Fuel if he was lucky ;) Of course, it also sounds like you wrapped the game up one jump too soon, so Cylons had a decent shot at winning if you had kept playing, because you only had one point of Fuel left, right?

Quote:
Talking about the game afterwards we all enjoyed it and the new players were wanting to play again another day.

Which makes this a win for everyone :)

Quote:
We just learnt two important things

Either way, if someone is a bad Admiral/President* they should probably be relieved of duty ;) (*:it's harder to tell if someone is a bad president however, because you don't know what they have at their disposal that they are not using)

Quote:
- Baltar isn't always a cylon, just usually. Btw I was Baltar :)

I've been Baltar, looking in disbelief, at three "You are not a Cylon" cards, so yeah, it's possible, and more than a little annoying ;)

Thanks for the report :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chance wrote:
Karrdedg wrote:

Different game, Shadows over Camelot, where I was King Arthur, called a traitor for some move I made earlier, but I was loyal. And I quote (myself):
"See, I'm not a traitor, I'm just incompetent."

Haha, I've said something like this As Cylon Adama before, when the Humans were asking for an Executive Order to do something important, I claimed I did not have one (I did of course), one of them got suspicious and said "Really....?" I shot right back with "Yes, sorry, I'm a bad leader!" it worked ...

Is it a bad thing that Battlestar Galactica creates situations where one boasts about times when they lied to and deceived others? Hmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for feedback (first submitted article), where to start...

The order of character choices was done correctly I just typed as I remembered them from where they were sat round the table.

Quote:
Also, why did you pack up the game after a jump-choice? The last jump is TO KOBOL and takes no fuel.

If you had only just crossed a jump distance of 8, you had one final jump to make and a lot can happen in that final trek through space (like super crisis cards and some really horribly failed checks).

Ooooh, this was our third game and we've been ending after 8 distance, not then a final jump! Curse only me reading the rules and the rest of them taking my understanding of them. I do keep telling the others to stop relying on my reading and explaining, but as I'm the game fanatic and buy them all it tends to fall to me.

Quote:
So... Your jump that pushed you into sleeper phase got you to 4 distance? How many jumps did this take... I read your post already so maybe this is hindsight 20/20, but any Admiral that gets you into the Sleeper phase at 4 distance is either a Cylon, or just a bad admiral ^_^

I think it was the third jump. Admiral Cylon had been going as slow as possible.

As for the president, the player defended their actions as not wanting to spoil their game by having few cards after being in sickbay... Not the most unselfish act, but I suppose in a 3 hour game you want to be involved all the way through.

Starbuck and Lee are brothers (in real life clearly) and were both doing their best to destroy cylons and make the best choices for the humans, unlike the others who weren't. Based on this they trusted each other, which is funny as normally they fight like cats and dogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.