JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so this may be just a *little* out of the realm of this area of the forum, but I think it is somewhat related, so here it goes:

I am making a set of letter blocks for my newest edition, as she is getting to grab stuff and play with it stage.
I want to figure out a way to make a game/puzzle out of the blocks, so that maybe years down the road, I can reveal to her that she played with them so long, but there is a hidden message, or puzzle or something that she never knew about.

So I have:
7 small blocks. Six of them are painted different colors, and one is painted with each face one of the different colors of the other blocks. Then there are 6 larger blocks of matching colors. I have not started carving/dremeling the faces yet, Only the basic painting is done at this point. Once the "mechanics" are figured out, I will dremel whatever we come up into the faces, and then paint the carved out areas.

I will post a picture in this thread of what the blocks look like when I get home tonight, but I wanted to get this up so people could start brain storming.

Also, I will make a set of blocks for the person who has the best suggestion, as chosen by the number of thumbs, and my own input. I may even be able to make additonal sets for anyone interested...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Help me design Kaylee's Kustom Kiddee Blox Puzzle/Game!
Here is a link to a picture of the blocks.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgilmour/Blocks#
I was a bit off about the quantity. There are actually 7 colors, All except for green are represented on the small multicolor block.
But my wife wants me to make another small one with all except for Black.

So.. Just some more fuel for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow....I'm not sure you thought this game's clever name out too well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
Wow....I'm not sure you thought this game's clever name out too well...

Ummm. Yeah. Its not like and game I am going to be publishing, and I making a set of blocks for my daughter Kaylee to play with. I just needed a title for the bost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea needs some development but the first thing I thought of was a set of carvings on the individual blocks that form a larger picture. When the blocks are stacked/arranged a certain way you can stand over them and see the picture. This might not be apparent to a small child even if they managed to stack them correctly because they view the world from a lower angle. Of course this disregards the colors of the blocks and it only utilizes 1 of the 6 sides.

For instance, you can arrange the blocks like so (7 big, 7 small) with 2 different pictures that link together via the multi-colored block.

/\ /\
/\/\ /\/\
\/\/ /\ \/\/
/\/\ \/ /\/\
\/\/ \/\/
\/ \/

Or you could have something that utilizes stacking where the smaller blocks are stacked and partially obscuring the images below so that the remaining visible parts result in a picture.

Any of that even remotely interest you? Is it worth developing the idea any further?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea, but I don't know if my painting skill would be high enough to pull that off. While I am getting better at painting minis, I couldn't paint a picture to save my life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking something a bit more like simple line carvings that form something greater than the sum of the parts. Paint wears but relief done with a dremel will last forever.

For example: For some reason I was thinking of 2 hands reaching, one larger, one smaller. Somewhat like this classic image but simplified into a line drawing and slightly abstracted maybe.

And really, if it sounds too complicated just change the idea to fit your skillset. I don't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm. Continue to elaborate, I'm interested...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'll try to remember to sit down and sketch something out to see if it would actually work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each block could have letters that spelled a word or message, e.g., 'Kaylee" and "i love u" I imagine you were thinking somethng more involved, but it'd still be sweet.

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick sketch of the example I mentioned. As you can see the carvings could be relatively simple and each block wouldn't look like much on its own. And this is only one of the hands. The "child" hand would be turned the other way where you'd see the back of course.

This is only one idea though. Just about any iconic image can be simplified into a few lines and still be recognizable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.