Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you may know, for 5/6 player games the rules allow players to build between turns. I understand the reasoning: with more people it is likely that you will build up a good fist full of resource cards only to lose them to the robber through no fault of your own. Allowing players to build between turns alleviates this, but at the cost of making the game very hectic.

What we do is ditch the building-between-turns rule and change the robber: instead of discarding half your hand, you just discard down to 7 cards. Losing half your hand can be debilitating, but you can still do a lot with 7 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the common variant that addresses this problem (and it may even be an official variant) is to allow 9 cards in hand before losing half to the robber. (and ditching the build-between-turns thing -- which I was always thought was tedious and clunky.)

-TR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
We just ditch the extra build and leave it at 7 cards. Adds quite a bit more tension when you have too many cards in your hand and your turn is still 2 or 3 players away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.