David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I have gone to Gen Con for the past 4 years and it is my job to try and cram as many games as I can into the three days we spend there. The past few years I've scheduled a few losers, so I keep trying to schedule top shelf games. I also want to schedule games we haven't played before so we can learn new ones.

Yesterday Gen Con posted the master schedule for this year:
http://community.gencon.com/files/24/default.aspx

Here is my stab at a schedule:

Thursday
Serenity
Every year since the RPG was invented, I have tried to schedule a Serenity game and they have always sold out before I can load the order page. This year there is only one scheduled, so I am sure I won’t get it, but I will try. This time slot will probably end up being filled by BSG or Age of Steam.

Iron Dragon
My brother (and I) love the Empire Builder games, and neither of us have played this variant yet. We also always try to do a tourney each year. We never win but usually make it to the semis.

VS
I had a three hour time slot that needed filling. This is what I could find: “Join us for Alien VS Ninja VS Pirate VS Zombie VS Robot VS Archer VS Gladiator VS Viking These Sen So variants battle it out to see who is victorious. The Sen So system uses a unique set of octagonal cards and card holders. This provides fast play for even large numbers of players. Each player has to think ahead of opponents by placing and then revealing actions together.”

A twist in Time
This is an RPG taking place in WWII behind enemy lines. It uses D&D rules, so I don’t know what to expect. But we always like the RPGs we play at Gen Con.

Friday
Stone Age, Pillars of Earth, Small World
These are on the list of games that I’ve read about on BGG, found interesting, but haven’t gotten to play yet. Android is also on this list, and it would fill about the same time slot on Friday morning, but I’m debating the benefit of playing one huge game that would not work well with my regular gaming group, or playing several smaller games that I could replay often at my gaming group.

Acquire
I’ve only played the game once and really liked it, and the winner of this game session wins a free game. Can’t go wrong there.

Cut Throat Tavern
This is another RPG session based on the Tomes and Tombs set up. Never played it before, but there aren’t many choices late at night.

This is the first year we got a hotel downtown, so this is the first year we can play games past 11:00pm. The past years we always had to quit early to rescue our car from the parking garage before they closed.

Saturday
Killer Breakfast
It is a must for anyone going to the Con. Hilarious.

Arkham Horror
My brother owns this game and really likes it, but he has no one to play it with, so it is on the schedule for him. If he would rather play something else, I will slide Dominion or T&E into this time slot.

Iron Dragon Tourney
If neither of us makes the Semis from our game on Thursday, I will put Age of Steam here assuming I was able to put BGS in the first slot on Thursday.

Shuffle
If I don’t put BGS Thursday morning (sold out) then Age of Steam will go there, and I will move Pillars to Saturday at six. Then I’ll slide Acquire to 8am on Friday and squeeze Twilight Imperium between Stone Age and Small World on Friday. (whew)

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine will be simple (if I can attend - we have a baby due dangerously close to the event's time-frame!):

Exhibit Hall and attending odd events as I feel like it.

Nice and easy and it covers everything I like to do at the Con. None of the events are so cool as to have me worried about getting tickets for them ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind this list is not final! There will be more events added later. But it looks like there will be well over 5,000 events yet again this year. Around 1/2 of those are board/card/mini games. I'm impressed at the number of events, I thought it might be smaller this year because of the economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron R.
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
The only issue I see is that the hours of midnight to 8 AM are not represented on your grid. In two words - MAN UP! Sleep is optional! That's 16 unaccounted for hours! laugh

Actually, it's only half jest. One of the highlights of Gencon '08 was my first game of Battlestar Gallactica with a pick-up group at 2 am in the lobby.

It does look like a fun schedule though!

Sadly for me, I've yet to make it to a killer breakfast. It looks like a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My schedule will be full of standing in a booth talking shop. I am stoked for my first GenCon though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.