Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me: New Sparta, Bot: Alpha Centauri.
Starting hand: Replicant Robots, Mining Robots, Mining League, Galactic Studios, Prosperous World, Deserted Alien Colony (discarded: Mining Robots, Mining League.)
T1: exp+1+1/dev, Bot: dev/$.
T1 explore: Damaged Alien Factory, New Galactic Order, Genetics Lab (discarded: Genetics Lab.)
T1 develop: ?

Current hand: Replicant Robots, Galactic Studios, Prosperous World, Deserted Alien Colony, Damaged Alien Factory, New Galactic Order.

Before the explore you had planned to mostly ignore New Sparta, dev the RR keeping GS+PW. Now you drew 2 military cards. Do you stick with the plan, or do you completely skip your selected dev phase to follow the military cards?

Edit: typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I forget what Alpha Centauri's 'robot' actions are - which might temper the following:

-----

I would've kept the Genetics Lab.

Defense 2 Genes Windfalls are plentiful.

Then I would've developed Replicant Robots and kept Genetics Lab and Galactic Studios.

Next turn I Explore/+6+1 for capital and decide my true path from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I didn't really care for the Replicant Robots strategy. Even with Replicant Robots, Galactic Studios and Prosperous World are expensive. Once that's finally built, all you have is a 4VP, 2 card Produce - Consume cycle. The Robot can often match you on Produce - Consume by rolling matching rolls while you execute it.

I would have kept Mining Robots and Mining League, and probably done your Explore and Develop, but maybe Explore +5. At least if I don't find a development I like, I can Develop Mining Robots for pretty cheap, and if I later find a couple of brown military windfalls, I'm in good shape. If not I didn't waste too much on Mining Robots. An expensive speculative Develop could either pay off or be a disaster.

That said, I'd recommend you do exactly that and Develop New Galactic Order for your whole hand.

You were interested in keeping Damaged Alien Factory, as it's a military world, but I don't much care for it. As a way to get cards, it's pretty slow. You have to Produce (discarding one card, which can often be rough) then Trade. I'd rather have a windfall, and there are plenty of military windfalls.

For the next round I'd go with Explore +5 and Explore +1/+1 or Settle. Explore +5 should give you a good chance of finding a military world of 4 defense or less, so Settle should be safe enough. Explore +1/+1 is nice. You don't use it because you want to end up with 1 more card in your hand. You use it because out of 7 or 8 cards, it's not unlikely that you'll find two you want to keep. I think I'd really go with that option. No need to Settle in the next round. You can Settle a windfall and Trade in the round after that. The robot is fairly likely to call Settle for you anyway.

byronczimmer wrote:
I would've kept the Genetics Lab.

Defense 2 Genes Windfalls are plentiful.

Yeah, but even if you happen to find them Genetics Lab isn't that useful against robots. Robots hardly ever Produce on their own. At least Alpha Centauri's robot action is not Produce (it's Settle), so it's 1/6 to Produce. If you Produce, you load your green windfall anyway. If you have two, okay, but how much do you really need to load two windfalls? You could Trade two in a row, but it seems more likely to me you'd just Settle another windfall if you want to Trade two in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
Develop New Galactic Order for your whole hand.

Oh my, i didn't even consider that and it's definitely what i should have done. As it is i skipped the dev and went military, and DAF was indeed slow as molasses. I managed to squeak out a 41-38 win but it was closer than i would have liked. In the final round there was a 33% chance i would outright lose - if the bot rolled consume or 2x.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.