Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't agree more... this is a splendid piece of work that takes the game into "deeper" territory without making it overly complicated.

Good review of a GREAT expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bulkley
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, Tom. I completely agree that the book takes Memoir to the next level. Now there is a reason to fight for every last medal, even when you know you're going to lose the battle. It adds to the tension and fun; with the book Memoir is my all-time favorite game.

One small note: you can put a full unit in the staging area if you want. You don't need to use killed figures to fill the unit in the staging area. That's an option if you don't have enough pieces, but it's not necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
bbulkley wrote:
Great review, Tom. I completely agree that the book takes Memoir to the next level. Now there is a reason to fight for every last medal, even when you know you're going to lose the battle. It adds to the tension and fun; with the book Memoir is my all-time favorite game.

You mentioned something really important - the campaign system rewards you for objectives - which means that you have an extra incentive to pursue the historical reasons for the battle as well as trying to plow under the troops of your opponent. A nice touch that moves the game ever so slightly in a wargamer-y direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! I cannot wait for this Campaign Book. Having an overarching campaign framework is just the thing M44 needs to take it up a level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Young
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was debating whether or not to buy the book, and I think your review just convinced me to go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Exceptional review Tom - probably one of the best game reviews I've ever read/seen.

(PS: OT - Thanks to your Ticket to Ride review in your Top 5 games, I've managed to bring my wife to the gaming table. You should have seen her dubious face as she listened intently as to whether or not I'd just wasted more money on "my" hobby or whether that game was indeed something for her too!)

Cheers,
Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
aka KabukiKid on Youtube. Yeah, I have a few online aliases. heh ;-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Vasel's Law! When is this getting a reprint?! ;-) I don't want no stinkin' PDF! :-P

~Kat ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.