United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...what tweaks would you make to the box?

My brother has been complaining ever since the first printing that it should say "tactical game" rather than "strategy game" and I tend to agree with him.

Putting on the right UPC code (so I don't have to put on another couple thousand stickers) is another no-brainer.

What about the back-of-box text? Should we mention the free online version? Should we change the description?

I'm not looking for big changes (e.g. graphic redesign of the box, fundamental change to the packaging) but small things that might help people new to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to get my rulebook out, but possibly a little clearer explanation of how the supply chain works. That was the only sticking point I've ever had while explaining the game to people and even that is really minor. I'm 100% pleased with the way the game plays, but I would agree it's more tactical than strategic. I would probably mention the free online play option on the box as an extra selling point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it should be changed to be a tactical game.

I actually like:

"A fast paced card game of situational tactics."

You could probably get by with just putting the website link to the online version as that would also work as a link to your site in general too, which would be a good addition. Kill two birds with one stone.

I'm glad it's popular enough for a reprint. It's a good game. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
What about the back-of-box text? Should we mention the free online version?

Make sure you say that you have "free online *solo* play". You don't want people to put it back on the shelf because they think they can play it free online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always a little nervous about reprinting a game, especially without waiting too long after it sells out, since demand often peters out gradually. Still, Hill 218 sales have been very solid and if anything may be growing slightly (helped by the online game and great reviews) so I think the risk of losing money on a reprint is very small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
If anything just make it a little more clear how the game works. I have had several people at my FLGS pick it up and put it back down when I bring it because they can't tell really what kind of game it is. Maybe some pictures of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I'm always a little nervous about reprinting a game, especially without waiting too long after it sells out, since demand often peters out gradually. Still, Hill 218 sales have been very solid and if anything may be growing slightly (helped by the online game and great reviews) so I think the risk of losing money on a reprint is very small.

I think that's a solid business decision, Chad. Even if you end up with a few extras, it's a nice, cheap game to use in a promotion. Not very often one gets such a solid game in that type of situation.

I also agree that a picture or a "game in progress" would be nice, but it sounds like more of an overhaul than you want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
When I heard you were done with the first print run I scrambled and ordered a copy after playing my friends.

Now I hear from people in my gaming group that they wish they could get their hands on one. They still can if they dig but its getting harder.

I dont have single problem with the packaging as is. I think the problem is more that people don't expect a game to be that good when it comes in such a tiny package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of this means we won't try at some point to expand and/or retheme the game. I agree that it's rare that you get anything like Hill 218's replay value from a deck-of-cards game, and I'd like to find a way to make it appeal to a wider audience. This is basically just me looking at the orders from distributors that I've had to say, "Sorry!" to, the number of online players and the history of monthly sales and figuring that it looks pretty reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of a retheme, my leading contender is a magic theme with units replaced by fantastic creatures, paladins, etc. Air Strike becomes Fireball and supply line becomes mana line.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Kaile and I are working on the tweaks now...and yes, I'm going to send it to the printers shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Luksich
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say keep the theme the same, though if you were going to make graphical changes to the box, I would make it more evocative of the game, or have a picture of the game on back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
and supply line becomes mana line.

I'd suggest "ley line" or "arcane linkage" or something less dry. No harm just keeping it "supply line" either, I'd say. You don't call it "ammo/food line" in the military theme...

Quote:
...and yes, I'm going to send it to the printers shortly.

Any estimate on availablility? I order games in batches, and I'd like to know how this will fit in, since I just missed it last time...

I'm assuming the reprint will be available well before any retheming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please put a cool b/w picture of tank combat on the front, taken directly from WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have a name for the new game? I missed Hill 218 but sounds like a good thing because the new theme is something we'll enjoy more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.