Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone here ever replaced one of the 4 sheep hexes with an ore or brick hex? And if you have, did it change the game for the better, worse, or just make the game different? It is interesting to note that The Settlers of Zarahemla actually did this by adding an ore hex and removing a sheep hex. Well, they technically replaced sheep with water, but there are only 3 water hexes in the game.

I know that this has been asked on the geek before, and I know a lot of people said it did not seem like a good idea, but has anyone actually tried it?

Poll
Did replacing a sheep hex in Settlers of Catan with a resource that only has three hexes make the game better than regular Settler?
  Better Just Different Worse Not tried but seems better Not tried but just seems different Not tried but seems worse
Replacing sheep with ore
Replacing sheep with brick
      16 answers
Poll created by mst3k4L

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this variant once:

Worked quite nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Lee Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I never specifically replaced a sheep hex with ore or brick, I usually play with random tiles. This sometimes results in certain resources being more abundant than others. This is usually not a problem, so I'd say replacing one tile is different but not necessarily better or worse.

However, I have played one game where about half the land tiles ended up being wheat, and most the remaining where sheep. That game was horribly dragged out in the beginning as everyone had pretty much the same things and wanted the same things. Thus nearly no trading to help get things going in the early game. I think I'll make sure the variety of tiles are a bit more mixed from now on.

[The tiles for that game ended up being: 1 forest, 1 mountain, and 2 hills. Everything else was either wheat, sheep, or desert.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.