Phil Nicholls
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A revealed cylon player uses the 'caprica' action to draw two crisis cards. One of the two cards is "fulfiller of prophecy".

The "or" text:
"the current player discards one skill card. after the activate cylon ships step return to the resolve crisis step (draw one more crisis and resolve it"
(my emphasis).

If the cylon player chooses this, what happens?

We ruled that as there is no "activate cylon ships" step in a revelaed cylon's turn, there isn't a second crisis that can be drawn. Does this sound sensible?

Thanks
Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason M
Canada
flag msg tools
This does sound sensible to me. So as a cylon player, don't choose that option!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yul Beauchamps
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be a little tricky if a card stated DURING the "Activate Cylon Ships" step. However even though a revealed Cylon player skips this steps there is no reason you can't perform the secondary action that states "After" this step.

It really is only a matter of timing. After this step in this case just means AFTER it would normally happen.

So it this situation you are really throwing away a skill card in hopes that the next crisis is more difficult for the humans to overcome. However since you only draw 2 skill cards per turn as a Cylon I would not be so quick to throw one away in this situation unless you are anticipating an early jump that will win the game. Save your skill cards to get the humans when it will hurt the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cyclons cannot be forced to discard cards, so that part is irrelevant.

In the game in question, we originally let it happen, and the next card had a choice to lose 2 food, to win the game for the cyclons.

I think the spirit of the card/interaction is to allow the cyclon to take a new crisis, but it clearly isn't by the strict rules. At least, that's the conclusion we came to.

Any more opinions on this one?

Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would disagree with how you played it, and agree with Yul's interpretation. I'm just reading thru the "Revealed Cylon Player's Turn on page 20. It clearly states
Quote:
Important Note: There are no "Activate Cylon Ship" and "Prepare for Jump" steps during a revealed Cylon player's turn.
It doesn't say that their turn ends immediately after the Action Step, just that there are no Activate/Jump steps. So I would think you would go back and do the next crisis card. I just pulled the card out to read it. I remain convinced that you do indeed come back and draw another crisis card. However, that is merely my opinion. I would love to hear what FFG says to this, and hope the OP sends it to them for a definitive answer.

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yul Beauchamps
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MelinaPerez wrote:
Cyclons cannot be forced to discard cards, so that part is irrelevant.

Actually you cannot be forced to lose cards. However in this scenario I believe you would have to lose a card because it is an action you chose to do.

I can't 100% confirm this as I couldn't find any references in the most recent FAQ/Errata on FF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicholls
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have posted this to FFG, will let the forum know what the repsonse is.

Cheers
Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicholls
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Response from FFG:-

The current player would simply discard the Crisis card and then resolve the top card of the Crisis deck (as instructed in the parenthesis).

I hope this answers your question!
-Corey Konieczka

Note to self: do not play this game whilst in an MTG timing rules frame of mind :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.