BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need reccomendations that are not like what I already own. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just started playing board games a few months ago and have gotten really into the hobby. I have placed several big orders that have given me a nice collection, but now when I place orders I am starting to get nervous about getting games that are too similar.

I am getting ready to place an order for the Dominion Intrigue expansion and plan on filling the order out with more games to get the free shipping and just because I want more games in my collection. But wanted to get recs from you guys first that way I dont buy games similar to what I already own.

Games I already own(a star next to it indicates its a favorite)

Agricola *
Backgammon
Balderdash
Battlelore
Battlelore Call to Arms
Battle Lore Dwarven Battilions
Battle Lore Epic Battlelore
BattleLore Scottish Wars
Blue Moon
Bump in the Night
Citadels with Dark City Expansion
Cranium
Cranium Booster Box 1
Dominion *
Dominios
Dungeon Twister
Dungeon Twister: Paladins and Dragons
El Grande
Fairy Tale
Family 10 in 1(chess, Chinese checkers, checkers etc)
Guillotine
Jenga
Lost Cities: Card Game *
Macala
Mr Jack *
Mr Jack expansion
Munchkin Quest
Munkin Quest Expansion
No Thanks!
Pandemic
Pictionary
Pog: The Official Game
Puerto Rico
Race for the Galaxy
Risk
Scene It
Scene It Disney Version
Simpsons Trivia Game
Simpsons Wheel of Fortune
Stratego
Taboo
Talisman
Talisman: Grim Reaper Expansion
Thurn and Taxis
Ticket to Ride *
Ticket to Ride 1910
Ticket to Ride Europe
Ticket to Ride Marlkin
Ticket to Ride Nordic
Upwords
Yahtzee
Zombies!!!
Zombies 5: Schools out forever
Zombies 6: Six feet under
Zombie Fluxx

Only other thing I can add is that I am not interested in Last Night on Earth or its expansion, I have played them and actually ended up trading them to a friend. We also definitely plan on adding Gloom to the order and probaly will be adding Carcasonne(playing it with a friend this weekend and if my fiancee likes it we will buy it). Power Grid and some of the foreign made games like Tzaar and Yinsh are also being considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever try miniatures games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
desmodus
France
Bantzenheim
flag msg tools
badge
Die Ärzte, Bad Religioon, Bauhaus, Dom Perignon, In Extremo, Joy Division, Lacrimosa, New Model Army, Nirvana, Officine Panerai, Placebo, Rammstein, The Sisters of Mercy, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, The Mission, Die Toten Hosen, Umbra et Imago
mbmbmbmbmb
What about some games with negociation in it like:

Catan
Chinatown
Genoa
or some conquest/fight driven games like
Shogun
Wallenstein (first edition)
Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga
In your list I'm also missing some of Dr. Knizia's masterpieces
Amun-Re
Modern Art
Ra
Tigris & Euphrates

These ones should keep you busy for a moment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
desmodus wrote:
What about some games with negociation in it like:

Catan
Chinatown
Genoa
or some conquest/fight driven games like
Shogun
Wallenstein (first edition)
Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga
In your list I'm also missing some of Dr. Knizia's masterpieces
Amun-Re
Modern Art
Ra
Tigris & Euphrates

These ones should keep you busy for a moment

First off to the first poster no havnt done minis. Always thought they would be expensive and my fiancee also has zero interest in them soooo.

To the quoted poster almost all of those games are 3+ player games. Up till recently the only person I had to play with was my fiancee, so even though I really like Catan(I have played the Xbox360 version)I didnt want to buy it since its 3+ players.

I might grab some of these 3+ player games now that we have meet another couple that plays board games and are doing board game nights with them. However I still want my main focus to be on great 2 player games since 90% of our gaming is just us two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Otero
United States
Monroe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasabi!

WASABI! is awesome...
Both my wife and I cannot get enough of it!
ADDICTIVE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Bah Wasabi looks fun and reasonably priced but its sold out where I am placing my order!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
civilization theme, works for 2 players. Really deep.

Blokus
a nice abstract

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a lot of abstracts (mancala, backgammon). You might try some GIPF games (I really like ZERTZ), or other abstracts. You mention Yinsh and Tzaar are possibilities.

What about dexterity games? Sorry Sliders?

You like Agricola... what about a resource game with more economics (fluctuating market), plus an auction/bidding mechanic that works for two people: Cuba.

Kingsburg might be an interesting twist - resources and building, but with dice placement. To Court the King is about accumulating cards with dice.

Jambo is a nice little card game for two players that plays like a board game. It's about selling wares at market.

Aquädukt is about building wells, canals, and houses, has a bit of a Settlers of Catan feel, but works with two.

Indus is a game about scoring points for archaeological finds. The board changes every time, and it's got neat bits.

Taluva - lush, beautiful tiles and neat wooden bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ok question about Abstracts. If you guys could only pick 1 or 2 which would they be? I know Blokus, Yinsh and Tzaar are all popular games and all 3 look fun, all 3 are also only $21-$27 so I am deffintly getting at least 1 but will probably grab 2. The question is which ones!

So far the games I have sitting in my cart(will probably remove just a few to keep the order around $200 which it went over a few games ago).

Dominion Intrigue expansion
Gloom
Tzaar
Yinsh
Catan
Carcasone Big Box 2
Blue Moon City
Blue Moon Mimix Expansion
Whats it to ya
Blokus
Jambo
Taluva

BTW to the guy that suggested Through the Ages again its a game I want but sold out. If anyone knows a site that competes with fairplaygames.com and has atleast gloom(which is what my fiancee really wants)and Dominion intrigue I am happy to place an order someplace else.

Edit - Add Qwirkle to the abstracts that are on my list of considerations. Can also add Thats Ingenious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are always seeking out good 2 player games. Our current favorite is Traders of Carthage, which is intended for 2-4 players, but which excels as a 2-P. It is a fairly heavy card game which uses a small board and offers numerous challenges and hard decisions. It's sort of like Lost Cities in that way, but features more player interaction and many chances to slow down or disable your opponent as you attempt to gain victory points.

Go the the Traders of Carthage BGG page and scroll down to Bruno Faidutti's web link. His review says it all: ToC is an amazing game.

Also: My online store of choice is Boards and Bits. Great prices and great customer service. They currently have Through the Ages in stock for the same price as Fairplay, so you might want to check out B&B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame
Roma

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
bboppr wrote:
My wife and I are always seeking out good 2 player games. Our current favorite is Traders of Carthage, which is intended for 2-4 players, but which excels as a 2-P. It is a fairly heavy card game which uses a small board and offers numerous challenges and hard decisions. It's sort of like Lost Cities in that way, but features more player interaction and many chances to slow down or disable your opponent as you attempt to gain victory points.

Go the the Traders of Carthage BGG page and scroll down to Bruno Faidutti's web link. His review says it all: ToC is an amazing game.

Added it to the list. $16, decent reviews, rec from someone buying games for the same reason as me and similarity to Lost Cities is worth a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only abstract I see in your collection is Stratego. I would call Stratego chess-like, although other gamers wouldn't even call it an abstract because of the hidden information. There are just a whole lot of abstracts which are nothing like chess. Blokus Trigon is approachable and is multi-player. My personal favorite, Twixt, is brutal and beautiful, as difficult as your opponent makes it, an acquired taste. Hex has a similar object to Twixt, but is more slow-paced, with less emphasis on tactics and more on intuition. Hey, That's My Fish! and Fjords are fun and challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

]

San Juan is a little like Race for the Galaxy but much easier to learn. The other three are about the same complexity as the games that are your favorites but all different in mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Herrera
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Notre Dame for 2 players and it has a different mechanic than most.I would also second Jambo. A couple of other nice two players are Tally Ho!, Alhambra, Cafe International, and Paris Paris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try one of Mac Gerdts' rondel games.

Imperial
Antike
Hamburgum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Gauthier
msg tools
mbmb
Maka Bana

truly underrated. It's a great bluffing (see: reverse-reverse psychology) game. Many of my friends love it. If you're not too much of an strategy-hardcorde gamer - get it!

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
opks22 wrote:
You could try one of Mac Gerdts' rondel games.

Imperial
Antike
Hamburgum

Yeah, those are good, and Antike made me notice you don't have a civilization game. I think you might like one. Another good one is Mare Nostrum. Whether you'll like it or Antike or Mare Nostrum depends on how you feel about luck and hidden information. Antike is a perfect information game. Mare Nostrum has hidden information in the trading phase. It has dice in the fighting, although the dice mechanic is such that the number of hits you get in a battle has low variance.

Or maybe you'd like a space civ game: Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) or its lighter cousin Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus and Ingenious are both good abstract games, as is Take it to the Limit!.
How about Jungle Speed, or Ca$h 'n Gun$, or PitchCar, or Bausack, or Fearsome Floors, or Pickomino?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will be placing my order in the next few hours here and let people know what I decided. Even if I dont buy much of what is suggested I have wrote down everything for future orders. There were some like Antike and Hamburg I really want but again I promised my fiancee to both keep the order under a certain amount and that I wouldnt buy too many $30+ games which limits my choices a bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Imperial, but due to its complexity and length it does not hit the table often. I recently got into Chicago Express and would recommend it over Imperial. It is a route-building game like Ticket to Ride or Thurn and Taxis, but it has an economic component similar to Imperial that adds so much more to the game. However, what Chicago Express has that Imperial doesn't is a way in which you can manipulate what action your opponent has to take by using up all the other available actions. I have not played it with two, but this game is awesome with 4 players.

Carcassonne is great, but you may also want to consider Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown, and Taluva. If you are only going for one tile-laying game, make sure you get the one that fits your needs best.

Genoa, which has already been recommended, is a great game and plays well with 2. It has just been reprinted as "Genoa."

If you want a good 4-5 player game, I would highly recommend Cosmic Encounter.

If you want a good abstract game, I would second the suggestion Ingenious.

The not-so-standard party game? Ca$h 'n Gun$

Dexterity game? Crokinole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Well again thanks to everyone. This is what my final order is looking like, however for some reason the site isnt letting me use the free shipping code so I am waiting on customer service support. If in the meantime anyone has last minute suggestions to add feel free. Suggestions on alternative sites to order from are also appreciated.

1 Bohnanza $13.45
1 Battle Line (reprint 2007) $12.95
1 Blue Moon: Mimix Expansion $6.95
1 Turn the Tide (a similar English version of the German (Land Unter) $6.95
1 Jambo! $17.45
1 Gloom $16.45
1 Dragon Hordes $5.95
1 Ingenious (English version of Einfach Genial) $27.45
1 Fjords (Fjorde) $12.05
1 Loot $6.95
1 Blue Moon City Board Game $26.69
1 Taluva $20.95
1 Notre Dame $28.95
1 Bull In A China Shop $7.95
1 R-eco $9.45
1 Tzaar $22.95
1 Game of Games, A $1.50
1 Traders of Carthage $16.45
1 Archaeology: The Card Game $6.95
1 Dominion: Intrigue Pre-Order (Guesstimate ONLY - May/June) $27.85
Sub Total: $296.29 free shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, nice order. surprise Share the wealth!

On a more serious note, where are you ordering from? I know you will enjoy that new stack of games, I hope to get myself one here shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
opks22 wrote:
Wow, nice order. surprise Share the wealth!

On a more serious note, where are you ordering from? I know you will enjoy that new stack of games, I hope to get myself one here shortly.

heh after that order I am going to have no wealth to share. Seriously this is like the 3rd or 4th order I have placed like this and have a wedding coming up. I plan on marking 3 months from today on the calander and untill that date no more purchases. Will be hard too since I have a feeling the Playstation 3 is going to drop price and I have a sushi habit!

I ordered from fairplaygames.com so far they have had the cheapest prices of any site I have found, they carry some games others dont and their customer service has been speedy. You also get free shipping on orders over $125 with the code FREESHIP125.

Edit - heh part of the reason need to mark the calander and say NO purchases is because I keep ballooning things. This was intended to be just a $125 purchase so it was just enough to get the free shipping with Dominion......next thing you know $300 worth of board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.