Subject: A negative view of the 'L' expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've only previously played the 3rd edition of Talisman, and when we did it was after all the expansions were out. I found the game to be pretty much a solo affair as all of the characters were scattered across "Fantasy Land". There was little chance of us landing on each other and effecting each other directly, so games drug on..and on..and on...

Last weekend, I played 4th edition on a whim with some buddies. They also had the Reaper expansion. *This* was more like it!! Not only were we able to land on each other and cause all sorts of shenanigans, but the Reaper floating around really gave the game a 'knife fight in a phonebooth' feel. It was awesome. The game came down to the Sage, one roll away from blasting the Merchant and his party crawling up the stairs. The Merchant dropped the Sage over the edge for the kill (though the Merchant was left with only one life), then blasted the rest of us to oblivion. However, the Sorcerous was able to stock up healing and made a respectable run, but fell a few squares short. The game was full of muggings, two toads, countless spells, and lots of turns wasted getting drunk. A hell of a lot more fun the the 3rd ed games I played where we were always so far from each other it was like playing our own games.

At any rate, with this experience I think I'd turn down the 'big' expansions. It doesn't seem like the returns on fun will be that grand. I'm also worried about how it'll effect the characters. I mean, the Sage gets to re-roll movement, so the more squares will amplify his ability, but the Sorcerous' 'Beguile' will be seriously nerfed as she'll land on characters less frequently. Just a few examples.

Again, I really like what the Reaper expansion brought; some more cards, a few more characters, and a new game mechanic to ratchet up the PvP action. Awesome value for the price.

I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like the big expansions will make for a weaker game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I know I'll need and a key reason I'll be getting Dungeon expansion is more characters. In the olden days, we played 2nd ed + expansion + Adventure, which meant there were 36 characters to draw (always random). Being stuck with a "pitiful" 18 is getting kinda boring. 37 games with Upgrade + Reaper (mainly 3-player), characters are hitting the table for the 8th time in the current set of games. That feeling of been there, done that is growing steadily.

Also, 2 toads in game surprise ? My stats show the following after 37 games:

Reaper kills: 5 (Elf, Prophetess, Troll, Warrior, Wizard)

Toad: 3 (Dwarf, Priest, Sage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I feel in general about the old Talisman expansions that add extra boards. Timescape was especially bad, because no one could encounter you or even cast spells on you when you were in Timescape.

If FFG makes more extra board expansions, I hope they also add more ways for the players to interact or move to other players more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually a lot of this depends on what the definition of Region is. Is the Dungeon expansion map considered part of the Outer Region or is it a Region unto itself? If it's the same Region then spells like Transference, items like the "Magic Carpet" and the wizards teleport from Tavern alleviate much of the problem. Can the Reaper enter the Dungeon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.