Tide of Iron» Forums » General

Subject: Plastic Nibs vs Magnets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a suggestion on a better way to place the miniatures on the bases instead of inserting them and then pulling them off. I think that eventually the little plastic nib on the bottom of the miniatures will wear off or break off.
Has anyone tried using metallic paint (paint used on surfaces so that magnets will stick to it) on the bottom of the miniatures and then gluing a magnet on top of the base?
I was going to try this, but if anybody has already tried it and it doesn't work I'd like to know before I cut the plastic nib off the bottom of my miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested to hear how this works out...or if I can track down some metallic paint, I'll try it myself and let you know. Thanks for the suggestion either way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Berkeley Lake
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd be more inclined to glue magnets to the miniatures and use washers or metal disks for the bases. you can get pretty small rare earth magnets fairly inexpensively. Make sure that you glue them in such a way that they wont want to repel off of the bases.if they are close to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea too Nick. I don't really want to add to the height of the figures (which putting a magnet on the bottom of each would do).

Either way, I'll be doing some experimenting.

If anyone comes up with something, please be sure to post here.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michaels (craft store) has a paint that is made to stick magnets to. All you would need to do is get some sticky magnet paper (also sold at Michaels craft store) and stick it to the top of the base.The paper is not very thick. I haven't been able to find small enough magnets to put under the miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelein de Cratia
Spain
Guayota City
Nivaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Blu-tack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blu-tack might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
www.falconfigures.com carries them but its not listed on their website
shoot him an email at falconfiguresuk@yahoo.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Silva
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
For some pre-built bases of the appropriate size, perhaps it would be worth considering the magnetic ones sold by Alea Tools (http://aleatools.com/).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
I have to say I have hours and hours of play with my set and have never seen any sign of even beginning wear on the nibs of my troops. If anything, some of them are still too hard to get in and out.

I notice the British troops in my Normandy set (don't have Days of the Fox) are a little narrower and slide in instead of snapping in, which works slightly better.

But this seems like much ado about nothing. I think it's very likely FFG would replace a soldier if this ever happened...but has it actually happened to anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Silva
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb

I've had nibs break off, and also similar to what you mention where some just loosely slide in. Maybe it's me and my big ham hands but the loose guys tend to just fall out too frequently for my taste when moving the bases.

That being said, taking this approach would certainly be a splurge in every sense of the word with regards to both time and money but there could be some interesting side effects. Imagine being able to clean up after the game by just waving a magnet over your pile of units. Finding an escaped troop on the floor by just waving a magnet over the place in the carpet where they're likely hiding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
sloejack,

You should email FFG and ask for replacements, I'm sure they'd provide them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy all my gaming magnets at:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

if that helps any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent an email to FFG to find out if it was possible to order a bag of plastic soldiers for TOI and I was informed that they had no plans to do so. That's too bad because I'm sure some of us wouldn't mind purchasing extra soldiers to have as spares. Anyway, they were very co-operative and asked me how many soldiers I needed and there was no problem, of course I only needed 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update...

Thought it's not ToI figure specific I have been experimenting with 10mm Pendraken's with the magnet base idea and so far so good.

However, I have used a thin sheet of magnet for the base of the individual's and there are some magnetism issues (they decide where they want to stand!). So it's not quite there yet...but getting closer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
OoooOOOooh, me want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.