Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished reading The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad by Robert Ahearn. It was written almost 50 years ago as a history of the Railroad (up to that point). As a fan of Silverton I found that the game models (mainly) the growth of the D&RG RR and you can see the logic behind a number of the game mechanics in reading about the economic trials the railroad went through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I will check it out.......literally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another interesting book is Thirty Pound Rails, by Kelly Choda (The Filter Press, 1956).

An introductory note says, "30 Pound Rails --- The first rails made in Colorado weighed 30 pounds to the yard. In 1882 the Durango-Silverton route was laid with rails rolled at Pueblo. The first rails used by the D. & R. G. were imported from England and Belgium."

The illustrations are from wood engravings, something not seen much these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, a history of that little segment on the southeast corner of the map in New Mexico from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft:

Cloud-Climbing Railroad: Highest Point on the Southern Pacific
Dorothy Neal
Texas Western Press (December 1998)
ISBN-10: 0874042801
ISBN-13: 978-0874042801

It's available on Amazon for about $25. But, if you go to Cloudcroft they have it for sale in the Historical Society's museum shop as well as the gift shop in The Lodge for about half that price.

I was just up there this Saturday and they had one copy left on the shelves (they may have more waiting to restock).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is interested, I could work up a bibliography of probably over 130 Denver & Rio Grande and affiliated Colorado railroad titles ... I have them all. Literally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've worked up a Word document if anyone is interested, it lists 130 or so titles of books directly relating to Colorado, New Mexico, or Utah rail history. I've not included highly technical works on specific locomotives or rolling stock, and deleted the fluff books that are of little lasting merit. It's heavily weighted to Colorado (and narrow gauge lines), as there are fewer books available on the other two States.

They range from histories of individual railroads to areas or regions.

Drop me a Geekmail with your email address and I'll send you the file. If you have a specific narrow interest area, mention it, and I'll make a few recommendations for you as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:
I just finished reading The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad by Robert Ahearn. It was written almost 50 years ago as a history of the Railroad (up to that point). As a fan of Silverton I found that the game models (mainly) the growth of the D&RG RR and you can see the logic behind a number of the game mechanics in reading about the economic trials the railroad went through.

For ease of reference:

Rebel of the Rockies : The Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad
Athearn, Robert G.
Published by Yale University Press, New Haven (1962); (1967)
ISBN 10: 0300002769 / ISBN 13: 9780300002768

Published by University of Nebraska Press (1977)
ISBN 10: 0803258615 ⁄ISBN 13: 9780803258617

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.