Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
One trick we like to pull off, even if currently the strongest player, is to play a new tactics card, temporarily reducing strength below the other opponents, and then play one of these action cards giving bonus rocks for new units. One opponent thought this a bit unfair, but I've not seen a rule preventing this technique.

In fact, on page 6 of the rules, it states that the last step for building or disbanding a military unit is to immediately adjust the strength indicator. There is no mention for timing on tactics cards, so we play that it is also immediate.

Anyone have qualms with this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is in no way against the rules, and I actually like the idea that a government reduces its military assets as a mean to rouse the public in a wave of nationalism against the opposing, stronger nations.

Right up my alley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No qualms. A tactic I enjoy using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas DHALLUIN
France
flag msg tools
Of course. Change tactic before you play the wave of nationalism, or, if you have enough military actions, disband a unit. There are many ways to play that combo and it's always worth it. Just take a look at your opponents' faces when you do that to check if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
This is clearly within the spirit of the game. I generally collect those cards before I declare a war. If my opponent doesn't sacrifice his/her units, out it comes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the affirmation, guys. Very warm and fuzzy. Those cards are like gold in all of our games. They are very powerful, although, I've seen some posters describe they aren't useful when in the lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
out4blood wrote:
Those cards are like gold in all of our games.

Hmmm, I think Patriotism is more powerful. I've won games because I had a Patriotism card and lost games because I was short 1 MA! Patriotism is more flexible. But I've used both cards to good effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
out4blood wrote:
Those cards are like gold in all of our games.

Hmmm, I think Patriotism is more powerful. I've won games because I had a Patriotism card and lost games because I was short 1 MA! Patriotism is more flexible. But I've used both cards to good effect.

Obviously it depends on the situation.
I'm usually MA-heavy so the stones are more valuable.
But if you are weak on MAs, then Patriotism comes in handy. Also, if you cannot get completely weak, then it is also just as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.