Subject: For us, by us - the dream website for buying games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Horvath
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hello all -

Long time lurker, first time (almost) poster.

I'm launching an eComm gaming website, largely focusing on board games.

While I've got some ideas, I'm looking for what exactly YOU look for when buying games online. What would it take to get you to buy games - not just once, but again and again - from my website?

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated. Fire away!

thanks
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
HAVING the $$$ for this? WHAT did I "Win"? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best price and good customer service. Simple, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brooks
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course best price is important, but there are lots of little things that make me come back to a games website:

Saved carts: being able to save my cart, so when that one game comes back in stock, I can just add it and check out.

Shipping to APO (military) addresses: It shouldn't cost more, and we should be able to get free shipping, too. It doesn't cost you any more to mail to us, anyway.

Reasonable shipping: I hate getting something shipped to me and seeing that the actual shipping costs are way lower than what I paid.

Quick mailing: Watch out trying to sell pre-orders, I like buying something that I know is in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The ability to see the shipping cost without having to login.

Make a login name optional, meaning that you can order without having to have a login name. (I have a hard time enough already keeping track of about 40 logon id's and passwords).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Real-Time inventory

Flat Rate shipping

Decent price point for free shipping (i.e. $100)

Large and varied selection

Excellent customer service (kind of a catch all, but communication is key to keep customers. Even if its news they don't want to hear, it is still better than no response at all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reasonably priced international shipping, with a fairly accurate estimate available upon checkout based on weight, volume, method, and whatever other factors determine the actual shipping price.

Intuitive site navigation (e.g. one site I won't mention has Devil Bunny Needs a Ham in the "War Games" category). The ability to search by title is of course essential, but other categorisations are useful too, e.g. genre, weight, publisher, theatre (for wargames), player age, and player number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Wagner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best prices, including shipping. In these tough times, I figure the cost of the entire order with shipping and buy from the reputable online retailer with the lowest price. Of course, you also have to follow through then with good service, particularly fast shipping. I've ordered from most of the online retailers who advertise here. They are all good and in the end, it comes down to price. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Customer service will make it or break it. I don't care if you're giving Le Havre away for $10, if I've had an experience where I can't trust you, I won't order from you. This means (among other things) timely and accurate emails to update the status of my order (Thank you! We received your order. We've shipped your order. etc) I got a really nice "order shipped" email the other day that said "Dear [Indigo]", Thank you for your order, we appreciate you as a customer - things like that. It had nice little extra touches.

I agree that I hate having to create usernames and passwords for sites, especially my first time. Let me order as a guest if I want, and if I come back, I'm much more likely to create a profile.

Have a scratch and dent bargain bin and/or clearance bin. A good clearance price will entice me to see what else they have. "As long as I'm ordering that..."

Free shipping threshold at a reasonable level (like $100, but I saw it somewhere for $75, which really impressed me). Good shipping rates in general. Options for UPS vs. USPS, if possible. I saw on a site the other day they had a table where basic USPS was X, Priority USPS was X, overnight was X, UPS was X, and it let me choose what I wanted, with it all in front of me.

Real-time in stock info. I especially like when it says "3 in stock".

Being able to check out right on the site. I went to place an order the other day at a site, and it wanted me to go to PayPal, check out, and come back to apply my order. I was concerned it wouldn't work right, and I didn't want to deal with the PayPal site, so I went somewhere else. They may have had the lowest prices, I even took the time to register on their site, but that lost the sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above.

I very much dislike having to go through paypal to buy my items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
All good points. Also check out some of the other sites and note the 10,000 game they have in stock. I bet at least 9000 of those have never moved. Start with a good selection of the recent (couple of years), hot games and go from there. Also if there is a game being released that I must have then I will buy it from whoever has it in stock first, I don't care if someone else will have it for $3.50 cheaper next week. I rarely do pre-orders.
Keep us posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your pricing isn't competitive, you might not get much chance to show off your great customer service and prompt shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexhorvath wrote:
What would it take to get you to buy games - not just once, but again and again - from my website?

The ability to pick up the order from your shipping location... and you building your shipping location next to my house...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it when I go somewhere to buy games and they only have 4 of the 5 things I want in stock, (or worse 3 out of 5).

I will go to another e store to make my purchase If I am still planing on getting that game, one website I like to support has this problem and has lost about 5 purchases from me (each over $125) because of this,

Also communication is a key, I want to know what is up with my order, IF there is a problem E-Mail me TODAY!! do not tell me stories.

If you send me a tracking number, Have the thing shipped! not just the label sitting in a pile waiting to get lost.

Festivus wrote:
alexhorvath wrote:
What would it take to get you to buy games - not just once, but again and again - from my website?

The ability to pick up the order from your shipping location... and you building your shipping location next to my house...

I see we are in the same state, this would work for me too , can I help you locate a building
edit to add quote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
SAN JOSE
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fierce Fish Win the Cup
mbmbmbmbmb
Real time inventory

Great customer service

Discounts for purchases (If I make purchases regularly, maybe offer a discount after you spend X amount)

Offer shipping options, not just UPS or FedEx.

Set free shipping price point to $100 or even $75
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Make it possible for those of us who can't shuffle together $100 or more at a time to still get great deals. That's the no. 1 thing that keeps me from ordering more items online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't require a customer to register before purchasing a product if they don't want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schraml
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it may sound simple, and a bit weird, but one of my big pet peeves is not being able to look at like a hundred results on a page. if im searching for all the GMT games or FFG games a site has i dont want to have to click through a dozen pages with 10 results on each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
Make it possible for those of us who can't shuffle together $100 or more at a time to still get great deals. That's the no. 1 thing that keeps me from ordering more items online.

Quoted for utter truth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolstuffinc gets a large amount of my business by having free shipping at 100 instead of 150. That would be a good place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Recording a purchase history, so that you can provide tailor-made special offers based on my buying habits. I don't need a discount on the next Magic expansion if I haven't purchased a single booster since the Ice Age set.

CoolStuff's frequent buyer discount program is a great idea that I'm surprised more companies aren't following.

Competetive prices. They don't have to be the absolute lowest, but have reasonably decent prices.

Selection would be nice, but it's understandable if you don't have everything in stock, considering how so many games are short-printed.

Reasonable shipping rates. I know most people insist on free shipping, but I know the kinds of margins you'll be dealing with. As long as rates aren't outrageous, they can be tolerated. If free shipping isn't an option, at least a cap (a maximum shipping charge, regardless of order size).

Highly responsive customer service. I've shopped from several vendors. The ones I go back to are the ones who respond to EVERY questions, even the innocuous ones. If you can follow the customer service models from Noble Knight and Miniature Market, you'll be on the right track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Mejor Juego de la Vida
Chile
Santiago
Region Metropolitana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me?

- Best prices
- Good Selection (some imported items)
- Good customer service
- International Shipping with fair shipping costs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-Best prices, including shipping
-Special sales
-Good ding and dent discounts
-Reliability and fast time to ship
-A way to place backorders without being charged

Number 1 thing right now is prices. Can you offer 40% off? That's what you will need to do to compete with the other shops who offer 30-35% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
www.iguk.co.uk

Look - and learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
The ability to see the shipping cost without having to login.

QFT!
On sites that REQUIRE a login JUST to see shipping I usually end up creating fake logins and fake emails on sites I figure I won't order from, I just want to check the shipping price (like if I'm checking out a deal I'm not interested in, but maybe a friend is and I want to see what shipping would be for him). There's absolutely no need for this, you should be able to put in a zip code and get an estimation based on your cart. There's probably 2 main reasons that some sites do this, poor site design, and greed for the emails they can send newsletters to, to beg for your money.

Sometimes when a site requires a login to see shipping, I'll just skip it entirely and go somewhere else (somewhere that I might end up creating an account to order, but since I saw the shipping cost up front before I did, I was willing to go that extra step)

indigopotter wrote:

Being able to check out right on the site. I went to place an order the other day at a site, and it wanted me to go to PayPal, check out, and come back to apply my order. I was concerned it wouldn't work right, and I didn't want to deal with the PayPal site, so I went somewhere else. They may have had the lowest prices, I even took the time to register on their site, but that lost the sale.

This is generally what happens when a site takes paypal for payment. Most larger game websites will accept credit cards directly and offer paypal as an option, but some just let paypal handle the whole thing (including credit cards) so they have that kinda checkout process. It depends on if the store has a separate merchant account or lets paypal handle the whole thing.

You click on checkout at the game site, it sends you to paypal so you can login and verify that you want to pay with paypal and choose your paypal payment source depending on how your paypal is setup, and then confirm the payment on paypal, and then you get sent back over to your original site for confirmation there. It takes an extra couple steps, but when using paypal you kinda have to go through some steps because paypal login is separate from [insert game website name here] checkout.

I've used it a number of times, both in my old IE 6 (I dont like the later versions of IE) and my old firefox 1.5 (yeah I know, I need to upgrade) and a fairly recent version of opera (9.63 I think). And its always worked for me.

Oh also, with ebay you have to also log into paypal to use it, especially with buy it now.

Anyway, I understand why you did it, but I wanted to explain how/why some places are setup that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.