Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was just wondering if there will be scenarios that combine units from awakening the bear with storm of steel allowing for larger conflicts? It would be a shame if these two can't mix it up in some way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Limburgerhof
flag msg tools
Designing game modules for the Zuntzu online gaming platform
badge
The Art of War
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have heard SoS will be a separate stand-alone game, based on the rules from AtB but also expanding them. The firefights published with SoS will use only the SoS game components (to ensure that people who exclusively own SoS can play all the firefights).

However, there will be other bonus firefights published on the Academy Games homepage which will use components from both game boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I like CoH, Awakening the Bear, and will get SoS... but I definitely want to mix units and boards from both games...

But will that present a problem in that some rules will be different in SoS to those in CoH the Bear?

It would be good if there could be a standard set of generic CoH rules that cover both Bear and SoS games (and future expansions)- perhaps with a set of add-on rules that apply only to certain units (or circumstances) in particular expansions..

I can see that some may see a danger of CoH becoming like ASL, butI like the CoH rules so much, that I see that as something to be applauded not derided!

Indeed, I think if you have separate sets of rules for each CoH game expansion, then it'll get very confusing if you want to mix and match from the games to create your own scenarios, and also if you play one game one week and an expansion the next, having to re-read all the rules to see which ones are different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Limburgerhof
flag msg tools
Designing game modules for the Zuntzu online gaming platform
badge
The Art of War
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It would be good if there could be a standard set of generic CoH rules that cover both Bear and SoS games (and future expansions)- perhaps with a set of add-on rules that apply only to certain units (or circumstances) in particular expansions..

It will be like you said. For SoS, the rulebook of AtB will be expanded to include the new unit's features (e.g. airplanes) and maybe some tweaks to exisiting rules but the basic mechanisms will stay the same. If you know the Lock n' Load game series, this works pretty much the same, they have a basic ruleset that is carried over to the next game box or even adapted for other game series (World at War - Nations at War, etc.)

Here a quote from the SoS announcement on the Academy Games webpage:

Quote:
Storms of Steel continues the groundbreaking game concepts introduced in Awakening the Bear with new highly integrated airplane and anti-air rules. Stukas dive bomb, Sturmoviks strafe, and FlaKpanzer Wirbelwinds desperately try to fend off the death from above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond the new units, I am fairly certain the rules will be identical. The ATB rules have been "living" rules from the start, with continuous updates. I believe the intention is that these base rules won't change through the series. The 2 games' components should integrate just fine.

In fact, the cards are even being redesigned to have more generic backs, so that even the cards can be intermixed between future modules and expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a happy man! Hurrah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Colin,
I thought of making a standard "generic" rulebook that is good for all of the games and then adding a separate sheet specific to the game in question. But I decided to just publish one rulebook and sectionalize the specialized units dedicated to a specific games. This way, a player has one book with all of the info in it. (It is not as if they are that long to begin with!)

So this game adds one column with the airplane, strafing and bombing rules. Another is added for self propelled guns. Lastly, we mention specialized units like flame throwers.

The base rules have changed very little. The counters have changed a bit, but players will be able to mix and match them from game to game. The same goes for the game boards.

Counter changes:
Some new units will have different colored arc of fire fields. The color determines the cost to pivot and represents a unit's situational awareness and then the ability to pivot (moving a few dozen yards) to face new threats.

Turreted vehicles such as tanks have a circle under the AP # to help players remember what is a tank and what is a turretless self propelled gun.

Open topped vehicles have their flank defense marked on a white field/red trimmed square. Their flank defense acts as a red defense value against infantry when in close combat. Ex: Marder II and Marder III's.

Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Uwe

Thanks as always for your helpful response.

Very happy with your plans for the future. Sounds like all we'll need to do is draw a circle round the AP# on CoH The Bear tank counters....

Although will we need to change any of the colours to the arcs of fire for tanks/guns/units from CoH the Bear too?

Might be easier to just produce some new printed counters for us all to upgrade our CoH the Bear counters.. hopefully at a modest cost to both you and us Uwe!

Best wishes.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. Very interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.