Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody made a significant experience with this advanced rule?

I played a couple of games with two rows prowling over the Easter weekend (also using Pruitt's monsters) and I found that this monster-heavy environment cleary benefits the fighters (Berserker, Sorceror) and extremely hampers the "searchers" (Swordsman, Magician).

What are your experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan,

While I've not dabbled with a ton of the advanced rules, this is one I've experienced first hand and I completely agree with your conclusion. I played a game 3 weeks ago and we used this rule, albeit the funny part is that I wound up as the Berserker - using the elimination choice home brew rule which really ups the ante prior to play beginning.

Jorge wound up as the wizard and Dan maintained his run of being the swordsman. Both were truly hampered throughout the game due to combat and watching it unfold reminded me of standing in line at the license bureau - a never ending cacophony of "Next!" ringing through my cerebral cortex. 8)

I think for more experienced players it would be a good idea to do more detailed analysis/play testing of this rule because it seems that few characters are any match for it.

It's late (or early depending on your perspective) but I hope that helps,

R.S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like it. It empties out the set up chart too quickly and gets everything on the board long before the realm is even explored. So by the time you are exploring the later parts of the realm nothing is coming out..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Myers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
When I play solitaire I always use the rule. It does add to the number of monster appearing...but that's the challenge...even for the big hitters since they get wounded to death rather easily. I also use the "enter from off the mapboard" rule, so the big guns can't get native help easily either.

Remember, it mean more monsters regenerate, too, usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreamteam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also use it all the time in solitaire play. A further effect it has is that it summons Natives to Dwellings faster as well. So if you have a character that has friends/allies that don't start on the board, and you spend a few turn poking around their Dwellings, chances are you won't be waiting long before they show up.

This seems to make an interesting balance. More monsters show up faster (and also regenerate back to the stack faster remember), but also more opportunity to hire friendly Natives early and kick some whoop ass.

If you are playing a 28 day game, relying on using hirelings for your strategy is actually much more risky using only 1 die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.