Popular Tags: [View All]
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The demoscene is something wonderful. You often find the best coders there, as you did back in the C64 and Amiga days, and these coders prove time and again that you can do amazing stuff with only a few bytes.

Case in point, ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/parties/2009/breakpoint09/in4k/rgba_..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Elevated by Rbga & TBC, a 4k intro. Just run it, and don't mind the time it takes to load since it has to decrunch a lot of data so it will take a while until it loads, sit back and be amazed at what can be done in Windows with only 4k.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty general--you mean it's how you "really code" with procedural generation. I didn't go watch it, but I assume it is a seemingly endless display of pretty lights and music? It is pretty cool stuff, but it is only one aspect in the world of coding.

Try and design a functionally deep but intuitive, polished looking GUI that integrates smoothly with the host OS using those techniques and you're not going to get very far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the hidden cost of system call use. Back in the 1.0 DOS and Amiga days, the OS could do relatively little for you. Nowadays, we can ride on millions of lines of operating system code. If my executable is 4k, but it uses 50 mb worth of dlls on startup, is it still a 4k demo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
There's also the hidden cost of system call use. Back in the 1.0 DOS and Amiga days, the OS could do relatively little for you. Nowadays, we can ride on millions of lines of operating system code. If my executable is 4k, but it uses 50 mb worth of dlls on startup, is it still a 4k demo?

True, true. I guess it's my nostalgia overcoming me. I did learned assembly language in the Amiga enough to code a small scroller. Most of the demos nowadays are still coded in assembly. Your points are valid, though you have to admit that putting 50mb into 4k is still quite a feat.

Ah nostalgia, how it clouds my eyes. Once a demoscener, always a demoscener.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.