Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm toying with the idea of getting a USB Keyboard/MIDI Controller for some basic home-recording stuff. I don't need anything fancy, so I have it down to two choices:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeyRig49.html
$90 at my local music shop

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen49.html
$140 at my local music shop

When I asked the salesman what the extra $50 got me, all he said was "it's got knobs". He couldn't tell me what the knobs do other than "good for synth stuff". Stupid octave toggler.

Anyways, if they're just for "synth stuff", well, I figure the software I'm using (Garage Band) can take care of that well enough on its own.

Can someone who knows something about knobs 'n stuff help me out with this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
space is the place
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know shit about this stuff, personally. But a buddy of mine runs a website very similar in nature to BGG for all kinds of stuff involving electonics and music. There is a very helpful and friendly community of users there that could certainly answer your questions for you, I'm sure.

Here's the link: [url]www.tweakheadz.com [/url]

There's a tab for the forums under the Tweakhead banner.

t
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Its got knobs.

This is 100% the right answer.

The knobs are user configurable to whatever parameters you want. patch, note, effect, bus, whatever.

If you're going to control all that with the mouse, go for the one without knobs. If you want to impress the locals, get the knobs.

Or get the cheap one and glue the knobs on.

As a band, we never use the controls on the keyboards and always go in the software.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Its got knobs.

The knobs are user configurable to whatever parameters you want. patch, note, effect, bus, whatever.

If you're going to control all that with the mouse, go for the one without knobs. If you want to impress the locals, get the knobs.

As a band, we never use the controls on the keyboards and always go in the software.

Hmm... considering the only local who'll see it is my wife... well honey, are you impressed with knobs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Its got knobs.

Hmm... considering the only local who'll see it is my wife... well honey, are you impressed with knobs?

Hey now, don't want this thread heading to RSP do we.
They have enough threads of their own and you never see any of them getting 'Chit Chatted"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Its got knobs.

No... comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no substitute for knobs if you want to control stuff in realtime, like the resonance and wetness of a filter, or pitch bends, stuff like that. If you're just doing studio work and don't ever play live, you can probably live without knobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger C
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to assign any of the knobs and faders on the keyboard to parameters you'll want to control through MIDI Learn. Not sure about GarageBand but major sequencers have this option. Way better than using the mouse. It's a plus to check out the tweakheadz site mentioned. Great for digital audio recording info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.