Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been some complaints about Snow Tails being "fiddly". I disagree in the most except for the brake marker.

We find that it gets easily moved (accidentally) from the correct value so we have started using a die each to show the relative brake value and adjust the face up value to show the brake strength (still playing the card onto the brake space on the sled).

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. the Asmodee edition has addressed this problem nicely. I think I'll probably end up with 2 editions of this game (talk about a completist )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
We found ourselves just looking at each player's discard pile - the top card will be the last brake card played since we leave the dog cards on the player's board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
We found ourselves just looking at each player's discard pile - the top card will be the last brake card played since we leave the dog cards on the player's board.

Same here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I never found the brake marker to be fiddly, but when I played the game last week, one of the players played his discards onto the brake area of the display, so that he could just use the top card to show his brake. This made so much sense that I started doing it and I liked it. If you play like this, the only time you need the brake marker is at the start of the game (before any brake cards have been played) and when you reshuffle your cards. That's gotta be easier than using a die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be the people you play with - I only play this game with family or "non gamers" (ugly term) who always seem to manage to knock the sled even if it's not their turn moving the brake marker and also forget what their brake setting was, hence the die.

If you play with people who aren't quite so accident prone then the discard pile idea is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Lamont
Scotland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Re using cards to show brake...a couple of areas to think about:-

1)you may require to discard cards if you take too many dent cards when entering a corner. These might find there way onto the top of what is now the "brake discard pile". The card on the top of the pile might therefore not show the correct brake value. You may wish to have a method for dealing wiht this to retain the correct brake card at the top.

2) In our method, the card being used to play on the brake card would find its way into the discards and would then be re-shuffled once the deck is used. If you use the card as the brake then you would need to think about keeping it seperate from the discards. It makes a very small difference to gameplay.

Each to his own !

We may do a future article about the design process and explain our reasoning as to how aspects of the game came about - the brake marker would feature in this

Have fun,

Cheers,

Gordon

Gordon Lamont
Fragor Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.