Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend I played a lot of games. One to hit the table was a three-player game of Dominion, using the Dominion: Envoy Promo Card and Dominion: Black Market Promo Card for the first time in our group.

My strategy was to buy Envoys and Silver early. I wasn't paying attention to what others were doing and this is why I lost.

Here's what happened: Moats and Witches were on the table. My friend Matt was buying Moats when no one had purchased any of the Witches yet. I chalked it up to healthy paranoia and continued with my own strategy. Once the Moats were gone, Matt bought the first Witch. The other player and I suddenly had an "Oh-oh" momment as we both realized we had not been playing very smart.

Matt loaded up on Witches and then proceeded to buy Villages. He started slamming the other two players with Curses at a quick pace. I bought a couple Black Market cards and started desperately seeking the one Chapel in the game. I didn't end up getting it.

In the end, I came in second. I had the most Provinces, but my Curses dragged me down to second place.

This session served to remind me that this game is not multiplayer solitaire and that you need to stay aware of what your opponents are doing at all times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
Once the Moats were gone, Matt bought the first Witch. The other player and I suddenly had an "Oh-oh" momment as we both realized we had not been playing very smart.

If he waited this long to buy any Witches, it seems to me you two should be able to buy out the Duchies and Estates long before the Curses become a serious problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well I think his description is a bit inaccurate. I bought moats and silver in my first three buys, then began alternating between moats and witches, then witches and villages or silver, then ultimately a bit of gold. What is key here is that I didn't start PLAYING the witches until I had all the moats, even when they hit my hand. I didn't want the other players to start panicking and buy out moats before I had a chance to corner them. In the end, I think I only had four witches max anyhow, but that was more than enough. Yes, the deck was far slower moving than envoy/gold, but by the time the other players' decks built momentum I was then able to play my deck in earnest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
MScrivner wrote:
What is key here is that I didn't start PLAYING the witches until I had all the moats, even when they hit my hand. I didn't want the other players to start panicking and buy out moats before I had a chance to corner them.

That's a very evil thing to do... *steals idea for the next time a suitable situation arises*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a good run of Festivals and/or Markets and some drawing power (like ... Moats), you can grab over half the Moats in one turn. Then play your Chapel or Remodel to thin your Moat-hoard down to what you actually want and smirk at the defenseless rubes across the table. It's fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.