Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last fall, I purchased Race for the Galaxy on a recommendation from my friend Matt who knows my tastes pretty well. I was sorry to tell him that I found the game incredibly frustrating. I found that the game had complicated iconography, a confusing crib sheet, and poorly-written instructions. I gave up on it and traded my copy away.

Well, Matt ended up teaching me San Juan instead and I loved that right away. I found the game to be simple to learn and easy to teach. I bought my own copy and taught it to my fiancée and it is now one of her favorite games.

I played San Juan several times against both my fiancée and Matt. I also started playing it on my computer. I soon started to realize that the number of strategies in the game is very limited. Focus on monuments and the arch, or production and guild hall, or the chapel. Now I don't find the game challenging enough. If I am playing against someone who knows the game well enough, then the winner seems to be determined entirely by the luck of the draw.

So this weekend, frustrated with San Juan, Matt ended up breaking out the Race for the Galaxy and I gave the game another try.

I went with the military strategy and did a lot of development of cards that gave me military bonuses. This allowed me in the later game to settle for free on several turns. I ignored trading and producing entirely, but ended up getting a few free cards when Matt decided to take those actions.

In the end, we both ended up building twelve worlds. I won by several victory points. I was very happy to see that my strategy worked, and I saw some of the other strategies that were available. Going for alien worlds seems a good route. There are others too that I would like to explore. I still wonder just how limited the number of strategies available are.

The game is still largely based on the luck of the draw. I also felt that in San Juan, a good tactic was to take an action to prevent someone else from getting too powerful a privilege or any action at all (i.e. prospector). I miss that in this game.

I found that trying to learn this game before San Juan was a mistake. I have now realized that San Juan is a trainer for learning RftG. It helps you learn the basics of the strategy so that you can better handle the complexity of RftG.

I now "get" the game, but I am still not entirely sold on the game. However, I have been intrigued enough to play it some more and I look forward to learning more about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeeeees, excellent....let the race flow through you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
I was very happy to see that my strategy worked, and I saw some of the other strategies that were available. Going for alien worlds seems a good route. There are others too that I would like to explore. I still wonder just how limited the number of strategies available are.

I would recommend getting the Gathering Storm expansion and try some solo games. You will see just how many different strategies this game has to offer (even mixed strategies work very well). Those strategies are (almost) all available with the basic game, too. Gathering storm just builds on existing strategies. You will be amazed. I'm totally sucked in by this game, and it's my all-time favorite since I own it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I found that trying to learn this game before San Juan was a mistake. I have now realized that San Juan is a trainer for learning RftG. It helps you learn the basics of the strategy so that you can better handle the complexity of RftG.
Thanks for that tidbit. I was planning on teaching this game to a few people who are not big gamers but who are starting to see the joy I get from gaming.

I will teach them San Juan instead of RftG first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
I went with the military strategy and did a lot of development of cards that gave me military bonuses.

The game is still largely based on the luck of the draw.

Well, duh. You chose a high-luck strategy, and saw that your score depended quite a bit on luck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeppster wrote:
I've seen a lot of people here who insist it is a difficult game to learn or pick up on, but I don't think that is the case for everyone.

I think it's all about the teacher. If the person who teaches you the game does a very good job, it's painless all around. If he does a bad job, it feels like a difficult game to learn or pick up on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.