Subject: I am afraid to start playing this game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Vance
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
because all indications point towards me liking it--a lot! Meaning, I may want to play it a lot. Being new to BGG, I have a question. For those who are smitten with Dominion, what was the last game that you were this taken with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is my second favorite game. The last game my group played as much as Dominion was Race for the Galaxy. Previous to that we rarely played any game more than five times in a year. Both Dominion and RFTG have seen over 40 plays in my group in the last year.

My favorite game is Attika, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Others will probably disagree, but for me Dominion isn't particularly addictive, it's just easy to get to the table due to the short play time and ease of explanation. It's a neat little game and I've gotten plenty of plays already, but it's certainly not dominating my every waking thought or taking over my gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really really like dominion, but I have not quite become addicted to it.. blush I mean if you don't consider preordering the game already so I will be sure to get it...

My favorite game that I am addicted to right now is Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, be afraid, be very afraid. It has taken over my gaming group, but I don't mind. We occassionally will pull something else out but not much. And I can't wait for the first expansion to arrive - it's already preordered!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It gives me the same feeling I had when I first started playing Magic. Except the fact that Magic had a lot more variety when it first came out. The expansions for this will help a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lopsided wrote:
because all indications point towards me liking it--a lot! Meaning, I may want to play it a lot. Being new to BGG, I have a question. For those who are smitten with Dominion, what was the last game that you were this taken with?

The last couple games that had this effect on me were Lost Cities, Battle Line, and Puerto Rico. The first two because they are quick to hit the table, so we played a great quantity. The last because of an online Java version that allowed me to crank out a dozen games in a sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Others will probably disagree, but for me Dominion isn't particularly addictive, it's just easy to get to the table due to the short play time and ease of explanation. It's a neat little game and I've gotten plenty of plays already, but it's certainly not dominating my every waking thought or taking over my gaming table.

I agree. While I love this game and I think it is very fun, there are many other games I would rather play. This game is easily accessible which allows me to play it more frequently, but given a choice this one wouldn't be my first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I can stop playing any time I want.

BRB, shuffling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:

I completely agree.

It's not "addictive" in any sense of the word, it's just that it's short, light on rules and easy to set up so you can play it more often then other, "heavier" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lopsided wrote:
For those who are smitten with Dominion, what was the last game that you were this taken with?

Puerto Rico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lopsided wrote:
what was the last game that you were this taken with?

I was going to say Agricola... but actually I realised that I'm liking this more than Agricola. So my answer actually is: Magic the Gathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lopsided wrote:

DON'T play it on BSW if you think you're going to like it. BSW sort of ruined the physical game for me because I find not having to constantly shuffle a small deck so much more appealing. I think I would have liked the real world game much more had I not played it on BSW first. That said, I have 182 plays on BSW so I obviously don't mind a play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sadly Dominion works better as a computer game.

However, there's no guarantee the BSW implementation will stay there forever nor that it will include all (or any) of the future expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Yes, sadly Dominion works better as a computer game.
That's interesting, because I have quite a few gaming buddies who started playing on BSW after learning the game F2F who have nothing but contempt for the quality of play on there, easily annihilating everyone they play. It's as if the speed of the game leads to superficial play with little analysis or thought. Similarly, I've seen some session reports on here that outline appalling opponent play leading to terrible losses, and somewhere in there is the innocent phrase, "my opponent's win ratio was 90%". Contrast that with F2F, where - in my group at least - we discuss and even bicker over every new strategy and every new set of cards. There's so much more opportunity for growth and development. Or perhaps my gaming group is teh leet.

To answer the question, I am addicted to Dominion and I have not felt this way since Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
That's interesting, because I have quite a few gaming buddies who started playing on BSW after learning the game F2F who have nothing but contempt for the quality of play on there, easily annihilating everyone they play.

And their BSW nicks are...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO playing Dominion on BSW is a great way to try out new strategies and become a better player. Are there dumb players on BSW? Yes, but that's all relative isn't it? Just as I've played against people and thought "Really, you've played this game 500 times?" I'm sure there are people who have played against me and thought: "What in this world is this guy doing?"

But as fun as playing on BSW is, I'd still rather play it face-to-face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:
That's interesting, because I have quite a few gaming buddies who started playing on BSW after learning the game F2F who have nothing but contempt for the quality of play on there, easily annihilating everyone they play.
And their BSW nicks are...
No idea I'm afraid - I avoid BSW for the same reason that an alcoholic might avoid Oktoberfest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.