Popular Tags: [View All]
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not very good at this game. My boyfriend and I drove to Austin to pick up new games, and he saw the new updated Axis and Allies game. He told me he wasn't going to buy it, unless I would play with him. So I told him I would.

I have now played twice, on the side of good, and I ultimately end up losing. He later then told me that he has never lost in the game. Well... now I want to beat him.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can do, in order to start off really well, and then beat him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...on the side of good...

Better toss that angelic attitude.

#1: Hire a voodoo priestess to curse his dice.

#2: Fly mass quantities of Allied aircraft into Russia like it was the airport of the host city for the Super Bowl on the Saturday before the game.

Good Luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
A basic strategy guide for beginners was typed up here...

http://bestdanggames.wordpress.com/2008/12/25/axis-and-allie...

You can also visit the various game pages. Scroll down to the threads section and click on Strategy. You'll find user submitted articles there.

Axis & Allies
Axis & Allies
Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

There are a few "first turn" strategies for each country. But often the best to use depends on what rules set you are playing with or what the other countries do first.

I'm assuming your boyfriend crushes Russia with Germany right away and then uses Japan to eliminate America's Navy right off.

I'd suggest being very aggressive with Russia and attacking Germany as hard as you can to start. Concentrate on destroying units as opposed to capturing land. If any of your American Navy survives, you may want to pull it back and wait to build up an air force and more ships.

Otherwise if you tell us what your boyfriend does most often we can suggest counters to his tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm assuming your boyfriend crushes Russia with Germany right away and then uses Japan to eliminate America's Navy right off.

That is exactly what he does... What I usually end up trying to do is make sure I have enough people in Russia to try and hold back Germany... that doesn't really work out though.

I usually start off by trying to be aggressive and take out Japan with the US, and have actually over taken Japan... once.

With Japan he usually trys to get as much land as possible to the south.

A question I have always had.. Should I even try to save China, because it sounds like a losing cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Better toss that angelic attitude.

That's what I was thinking about, at least to see how he changes his play when he is on the side of good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cerenycus wrote:
That is exactly what he does... What I usually end up trying to do is make sure I have enough people in Russia to try and hold back Germany... that doesn't really work out though.

Against an aggressive Germany, the Russian player needs to ensure that Moscow doesn't fall. One tactic is to load it with infantry and 3-4 fighters. When the Germans attack, the Russian fighters should take big chunks out of the attackers, while the Russian infantry absorb the hits.

If Moscow survives, on the next turn, build lots of infantry to replace what you might have lost and let the Germans try again; each turn you make the defense a little stronger.

Meanwhile, the US has to be aggressive against Japan to keep Japan worried about the Pacific and discourage it from invading the eastern USSR. The British have to build up an invasion force for Western Europe to divert German resources away from Russia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
China is tough. You can't just 'write it off' because Japan will be knocking on Russia's back door much faster than you think.

Planes are great for defense, especially when paired with infantry fodder. It might be worth building a factory in India for Brittan, then placing a fighter and two infantry there each turn just to help keep back the Japanese horde. You can use the planes to harass Japan's navy if it gets too close.

He'll build a factory in China as quickly as possible and when he does you may want to try and capture it. Especially if he places it on the front line.

Try being very aggressive with Russia. If you are predestined to lose, it can't hurt to give it a try. With luck I've seen Russia devastate Germany's Eastern Front. It can take a while for Germany to recover. American and British planes can be used to reinforce Russia if needed.

You can land American units in Africa in a single turn. This can be a huge factor in causing Germany pain, especially if Russia has eroded Germay's Eastern Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Boiled down, the strategy for the Allies should be to concentrate on Germany first. All three allied players can focus their forces, and it is difficult for the Japanese to intervene.

Russia: Buy Infantry. Once you have enough to stall the german attack, you can buy artillery to launch a counter-offensive. But you will be buying nothing but artillery for many turns.

USA: Buy Transports, infantry and artillery to invade Germany, while still keeping enough forces to stop the japanese from invading the west coast

UK: The UK needs to threaten invasion all over europe to tie up german forces. This requires the UK to dominate the german fleet. It also requires an invasion force (transports, infantry and artillery). Fighters can also be helpful in threatening multiple german territories and taking care of u-boats.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the most basic and helpful advice to a new player is to buy lots of infantry. It's really tempting to invest in a lot of fancy toys, but what you really need is cannon fodder and lots of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy only men initially with Russia. Don't lose your aircraft or tanks early. Artillery, to me, add very little to the game. When you attack, just risk your men. Fly planes and bring tanks in for sure, but when your men are running low, cease the attack and retreat out. Don't over-extend your supply lines. Force Germany to extend theirs. Once Britain is funneling 6 or 8 men a turn to the eastern front, then Russia can go on the offensive for real.

Fly British and American fighters to Russia for defense and fly American bombers to Britain to bomb Germany.

Don't put any money into Advancements in the early game.

Ferry British troops to Scandinavia and then to Northern Russia.

Ferry American troops to Africa and walk them across the Middle East to take away Japanese gains in Asia and divert some through the Caucasus to assist Russia and use British troops in India and Australia (you should start with a transport down there) to do the same in Asia.

Use American naval power to take Japanese islands in the South Pacific.

Buy subs and destroyers for the Pacific front.

This is a game more about control of land than defeating your enemies' units. On every front except for Russia, take away as much economic power from the Axis as you can and there's no way they can win. Russia must stay alive long enough for Britain to land troops in Scandinavia and get those troops onto the Eastern Front.

Knock out Germany's fleet in the Mediterranean so they can't ferry troops to Africa. Africa is a large portion of Britain's income and the gateway to its Asian holdings. Don't allow Germany and Japan to link up.

I agree with the previous poster as well... what is your bf doing that is so effective?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, going back to this being an economic game, if you can hit (and take out) expensive Axis units with cheap allied units, even though you may lose the battle, do it. Axis naval units, bombers, and fighters fit the bill. A single fighter in a territory is a great target for a man and a tank.

Ferrying British troops into Eastern Europe and Leningrad/Karelia though the Baltic Sea, avoiding Scandinavia is also doable.

I disagree with the idea that Britain needs to hit Western Europe. That will come with time. I suggest, when that time comes, that you hit both Western and Southern Europe. That way Germany can only take back one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
China and India play a huge role in fighting back Japan. As Japan, I never worry about the US. On the first turn, I hit the US's navy and then focus almost entirely on Asia. If the Axis powers meet in Russia it's the end of the game for the Allies. As the US or as the UK I build an industrial complex (preferably one for each country) in Western China and in India. This gives the allies the ability to reinforce/blitz Moscow if necessary, before Germany can reinforce it, and causes all sorts of problems for the relatively impoverished Japanese (having to kill 5 tanks a turn as the Japanese is pretty difficult). Since the US can see a japanese invasion coming a few turns away, there's no need to bother worrying about it.

Once you've got your Industrial Production Centers in Asia up and running, you can start sending Americans to hit Western Europe. As for Russia's strategy, Russia should never buy anything but infantry. If you are defending and you think a fighter looks appealing, slap yourself and buy infantry.

The UK is the hardest to play, however, throwing troops into a navy should be your biggest priority after dominating japan in Asia. If Germany lets the UK have a navy, then all sorts of problems start to arise. you can invade and landing even one unit successfully is a huge boon to the UK's economy and a significant set back to Germany's eastward push. As Germany, I always play to isolate the United states by forcing heavy investment in the navy. The US is unassailable, but if its ships keep getting sunk, it is pretty toothless (unless it's pumping out tanks and planes in china).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies is an economic game. As Russia I'd suggest you buy infantry in the first turns and then add one or two better units a turn thereafter. If you attack with Russia, try attacking an all-tank German force with an asymmetrical Russian force. That is, infantry and air power or a couple of tanks (if you must) against an all-tank defending force. The advantage of attacking with an infantry/plane combination is that the infantry lost are cheap to replace, they only reduce the attacking forces punch by 1 point per lost unit and the planes can fly back to safety when the battle is over. If you attack with tanks, they are expensive to replace if lost, they reduce the surviving force's punch by 3 points per lost tank and they are stuck in the area and susceptible to counterattack. Russia always wants to keep a buffer zone of lightly defended spaces between the main German forces and the Russia core area and this can sometimes be done by judicious counter-attacks. Axis and Allies favors that side with the greater counter-attacking potential. I always thought of A and A as multiple player chess so don't be discouraged if you lose a few times. It's a much deeper game than it looks.

If you are good at math, or there are only a few units involved, I'd suggest quickly counting up the attacking strength and comparing it to the defending strength. In moderately sized battles, if the attacker has plenty of infantry to absorb loses economically and the attacking strength point total is greater than the defender's strength point total by say 50 percent or more, go for it. But these are only guidelines. When there are large numbers of units involved and the attacking force is asymmetrical you don't really need a 50 percent cushion to succeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, insist that he let you play the Axis once in a while (it's only fair). Use his own strategies against him and watch how he counters them... or win when he doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of good advice above, good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
A lot of good advice above, good luck.

Please come back here and let us know how you did! Nothing irks a gamer more than a self-declared unbeatable opponent. It makes victory over them that much sweeter (and knowing we contributed to it is also sweet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the games are so uneven, I'd suggest waiting for him to finish a move and then asking him why he did what he did. And after you finish your move, ask him what he would have done differently and what you did wrong. If he's going to win anyway he should be happy to explain why he did something and what you did wrong. Just don't overdo it.

But, let me tell you a secret. You only get good at a game by playing opponents that are better than you. If your boyfriend has never lost a game of A and A, he's not really that good, because he's never played experts. Have him sign up for an A and A tournament, say at Origins, and he'll get beaten. If he's mature, he'll thank you because he's just been introduced to the best players and learned a lot. And if he's not, he'll get really, really mad at the world. Either way, you'll learn something important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.