Popular Tags: [View All]
John Greenwood
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Year of the Dragon

Players were Chris, Mike, Georgia John, Rob and myself. I haven’t played this game in a while. I remember introducing the game to Rob and his enthusiasm for the game shortly took off, while mine has slowly cooled over time. I think that it is a very good game and I admire the design, it just lacks a little of the fun factor for me. The events were drawn in the following order: Drought, Tax, Drought, Fireworks, Epidemic, Mongol Invasion, Epidemic, Mongol Invasion, Tax, and Fireworks.

Rice and money were my first two actions to address the drought and tax events. Chris and I traded back and forth on the initiative track throughout the game, while Rob and Mike pretty much ignored initiative battles, but put a lot of concentration into money so they could pay for whatever actions they wanted to take. I played a rather conservative game- making sure I never got heavily punished by the disasters, but not taking many chances or risks to get points. As I should have expected, this approach would assure that I wouldn’t come in last, but also meant I would have little chance of winning. I think either Chris or Rob may have been the first to buy a dragon tile in the game.

After the two early droughts were finished, Rob started going all out on his builder strategy – to get lots of cheap palaces out to rack up points. Eventually, the disasters took their toll on Rob’s gambit and too many of his workers died off. Georgia John and Chris surged near the end with a pretty balanced approach. Mike took some big risks early and fell behind in points. In the final scoring, with my conservative approach, I had the most worker tiles giving me around 22 bonus points, but it was for naught. In the end, Chris edged Georgia John out by one point, 107-106 due to a cleverly placed monk which I believe netted him 6 points that gave him the final push for the win. I finished with 98. Rob scored 91 and Mike was last, but I don’t remember his score.

It was a good game. Again my perspective on this game was confirmed and didn’t change. I think it’s a great game, but one that lacks that certain fun factor for me. Rob immediately wanted to play another game of In the Year of the Dragon to redeem his prior performance, but I felt like moving onto something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice recap John. I wasn't sure if I had enough for the final push and the combo of winning fireworks (last event) and the monk push was enough. Pretty sneaky play. devil

It was a treat to see that I did win - hench the unmentioned (until now) victory jig on my part.

I enjoy the variability this game offers based on how the events come out. I don't find it a great joy to mititgate bad things, but it kind of reminds me of life and just dodging what comes at you as best you can.

Now that I know that the "elders" can be taken during the card draft portion of the game (after 6 or so games of depleting the younger people first before taking elders), it adds a little more to the game for me.

Almost always up for a game of this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With that sequence of events (specifically with both Droughts as early as possible) it does seem that a build strategy is the way to go. This can work in a couple of ways -- either you fight hard for PP leadership and probably just build one-story palaces or you take a turbo-build strategy where you add two palaces at a time (one single story and one two-story that you occupy the following turn) with two Craftsmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.