Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Print run rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to determine the print run of this expansion just from looking at the box? I have a first printing with original stands and slightly different card finish and I'd like to "upgrade to" (aka buy) a new version. But I can't ask a shopkeeper to open the box to check which version he has.

Does the FFG logo tell us anything? Mine has a red background on my Dunwich box, but it's blue/white on my new Arkham stuff. My first printing of Arkham also has the red FFG logo instead. Haven't seen a Dunwich box with a blue/white FFG logo so I'm not sure.

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Is there a way to determine the print run of this expansion just from looking at the box? I have a first printing with original stands and slightly different card finish and I'd like to "upgrade to" (aka buy) a new version. But I can't ask a shopkeeper to open the box to check which version he has.

Does the FFG logo tell us anything? Mine has a red background on my Dunwich box, but it's blue/white on my new Arkham stuff. My first printing of Arkham also has the red FFG logo instead. Haven't seen a Dunwich box with a blue/white FFG logo so I'm not sure.

Any other ideas?

Is there even a different version of the DH expansion ? Base game has the word "Revised printing" on the box cover, bottom right corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Base game has the word "Revised printing" on the box cover, bottom right corner.

The Revised Print of the base game had some notable differences:
- the board background was lighter
- the location cards matched the colour of their location better.
That's why it is marked as such on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is there even a different version of the DH expansion?

I think there is. My version has the old investigator stands, like this:

The new version has the clear stands, like this:

Not that those bother me though. The big difference for me is the card finish. Locations and mythos cards are ok, but the small item cards clearly have a different finish. So I know if my items will be from the Dunwich expansion when I'm going on a shopping spree and I hate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Quote:
Is there even a different version of the DH expansion?

Not that those bother me though. The big difference for me is the card finish. Locations and mythos cards are ok, but the small item cards clearly have a different finish. So I know if my items will be from the Dunwich expansion when I'm going on a shopping spree and I hate that.

We solved this in our game by mandating a "cut" of the deck before you buy anything. The same goes for any deck of cards in the game where there is an apparent difference to the back of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:

Silly question, I know, but... You sure those white stands came with your DH expansion and not in your base game? I have clear stands only (I have revised base).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Silly question, I know, but... You sure those white stands came with your DH expansion and not in your base game? I have clear stands only (I have revised base).

Hehe, yes I'm sure. I had the revised base game and the expansions before I found a 1st printing of the base game. So the only white stands I had at that time where from the Dunwich expansion.

I'm sure there are others with Dunwich that have the white stands. I seem to recall a discussion about the stands and the fact that they only arrived with Kingsport and all reprints after that?

Either way, the stands are not that important for me. It's just an easy way to be sure if you have a revised printing or not.

Another thing that might be different: the replacement cards intended for the first print run of the base game (e.g. Lantern) have a different text than the ones from the revised printing of the base game. So those have actually 2 revisions. Not sure how this is in a revised printing of Dunwich Horror, but I expect those will be the same as the revised base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also interested to see if Fantasy Flight adjusted the cards' hues and changed the finish. I know that the reprint is available at my FLGS as of today, so someone out there must have bought the latest printing recently. Can anyone tell us if the finish and color of the cards is consistent with the revised printing of the base game?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.