Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Help...please. I'm not getting any work done. All I do is think about my next battle with Battlelore. I bought this game two days ago for my kids because it is Spring Break and snowing all week in Utah. They were driving me crazy because they were so bored and I wasn't getting any work done (I work from home). So I bought them the game hoping it would occupy their minds for the remainder of the week. Hmmm… That worked...too well. Now it occupies my mind too and my kids keep bugging me to play the game with them.

This is our first time playing a C&C game so the rules were new to us. We have played the game five times so far, “Agincourt” (the intro battle) three times, “First Chavauchee” once and “Wizards and Lore” (the intro battle for the advanced rules) once.

Contents:
I won't go over the contents of the box since that is covered by other reviewers as well as the product's website. I will, however, comment that, everything fits very tightly into the box, which is good and bad. They kept the box as small as they possibly could, which I like. However, there is no room whatsoever for adding any expansions to it. I like to keep my games together in one box for a couple of reasons, not least of which is that, If I want to buy an expansion and don't want the wife to know about it. It is easier to keep it a secret if I can just add the expansion pieces to the original game and nobody is the wiser. Not so with this game. Expansions have to stay in their original boxes because they just won't fit in the original box and it is easier to keep the figures organized and easy to find when setting up a new battle. Some of the mounted units were bent over and had to be warmed up before they could be properly straightened out. Not a big deal though. The pieces have great detail and are good quality.
I love the artwork on the cards, rulebook, terrain hexes and other materials and found them all to be great quality. The card holders are a great idea and make playing the game that much easier.

Rulebook:
The book is 80 pages long but filled with beautiful artwork and many, many examples to help clarify the rules. Rules are well written and easy to follow, though we still managed to miss a few things the first couple of times we played the game. I also like that the rulebook has a beginners section and intro battle that you can play to learn the basics before getting into the advanced rules.

Game play:
Ok. The game rocks! There are five phases you go through on each turn: 1. Command, 2. Order, 3. Move, 4. Battle, 5. Draw. The first time we played it each player erroneously took turns doing each phase. This caused some problems for the person who went second because, when it became his turn to attack, many of his units had already been attacked and retreated so he didn’t get to attack because he had already done the movement phase. After re-reading the rules we discovered that player one does all of the phases of his turn, then player two does all of the phase of his turn. This really made the game more balanced and enjoyable. Battle flowed very well, though we found that Agincourt is fairly one sided. The French lost to the English bowmen every time no matter who was playing them. I came the closest to winning with the French only losing 4 flags to 3 after successfully making a charge on my opponent’s right flank and crushing his bowmen in that quarter with my cavalry. I was very happy to see the other battles we played are much more balanced and either side can win depending on your strategy and a bit of luck with the card draw and dice rolls. Adding magic to the game (advanced rules) made it even more fun (if that’s possible) and our strategies changed to take this into account. Fireballs and magic missiles now flew across the game board, roasting nearly defenseless footmen in their tracks.

“Agincourt” took about 40 minutes to play each time, while “First Chavauchee” and “Wizards and Lore” took about an hour each.

Conclusion:
This game is going to see a lot of action in our house! It is a beautiful game that is easy to learn and easy to play because of a well written rule book. I will be purchasing many of the expansions. However, the base game has enough material in it to play this game by itself for a long time. Now if I could only get back to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy lobbing the occasional fireball across the battlefield myself. Love this game. Love how balanced the magic is. Spend a little lore for a little spell, save up lots of lore and unleash something horrendous upon your enemies. Bwaahahaha! Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
athmok wrote:
Nice Review. I can feel your enthusiasm for the game. It's great to see newcomers that are falling in love with Battlelore. It's only a matter of time before you start thinking about painting your figures. :devil:

I grew up with Dungeons & Dragons so painting figures is nothing new for me. My only problem now is I just don't have time to paint them. It looks like all of my free time will be spend playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Enjoyed your review! It's certainly a deeper mechanic level than Memoir and, from what I've read, about the same as C&C:A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
14cross wrote:
I will, however, comment that, everything fits very tightly into the box, which is good and bad. They kept the box as small as they possibly could, which I like. However, there is no room whatsoever for adding any expansions to it. I like to keep my games together in one box for a couple of reasons, not least of which is that, If I want to buy an expansion and don't want the wife to know about it. It is easier to keep it a secret if I can just add the expansion pieces to the original game and nobody is the wiser. Not so with this game. Expansions have to stay in their original boxes because they just won't fit in the original box and it is easier to keep the figures organized and easy to find when setting up a new battle.
My suggestion: Replace the manufacturer-provided inserts with bead boxes. Store the game board(s) outside of the box. I've bought most all of the expansions and have been to fit everything but the boards back into the original box this way.

Pennants
  Standards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
14cross wrote:
I will, however, comment that, everything fits very tightly into the box, which is good and bad. They kept the box as small as they possibly could, which I like. However, there is no room whatsoever for adding any expansions to it. I like to keep my games together in one box for a couple of reasons, not least of which is that, If I want to buy an expansion and don't want the wife to know about it. It is easier to keep it a secret if I can just add the expansion pieces to the original game and nobody is the wiser. Not so with this game. Expansions have to stay in their original boxes because they just won't fit in the original box and it is easier to keep the figures organized and easy to find when setting up a new battle.
My suggestion: Replace the manufacturer-provided inserts with bead boxes. Store the game board(s) outside of the box. I've bought most all of the expansions and have been to fit everything but the boards back into the original box this way.

Pennants
  Standards

I will definitely go this route once I purchase a few of the expansions. I already have Call to Arms and Scottish Wars because I wanted the heavy cavalry. Next is Epic Battlelore and I would love to find Hundred Years War. Nobody seems to have it right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
14cross wrote:

Pennants
  Standards

I have now bought all of the expansions (in a two week time period...am I weak or what!) so I went to Walmart and bought a couple of containers similar to the ones you pictured. I was able to fit all of the pieces in these two containers and I keep all of the game boards, rules books and scenarios in the Battlelore box. Works great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
14cross wrote:
I have now bought all of the expansions (in a two week time period...am I weak or what!)

Not weak, just smart After I saw the back of the box at the game store I purchased every single expansion onthe spot (well, except the giant & elemental I had to hunt down and pay a crazy price for...and Heroes which just came out). By far one of the best investments I ever made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls